Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mychurch

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by mychurch »

800E5F2D-8CD1-4515-9F8A-09F1ADB6C260.jpeg

Spent a lovely afternoon in Geelong at the Archive wine bar. Great list, almost all available per glass thanks to Coravin and a choice of 75ml or 150ml pours. Split 5 rounds with a new wine acquaintance and came out feeling stone cold sober - that worked out at half a bottle over 3 hours. Perfect. The wife did though drive me home.

Highlight was the N.V. Between 5 Bells Yellow Wine. Made from Savignin and vinified at Lethbridge, this is a multi vintage blend, which stays under flor for a while. It comes in 500ml bottles and looks a lot like a Hungarian Tokaji. Story from the bar owner was that there was not enough grapes to make into a commercial quantity, so they decided to make a sort of Solera, with the next years crop topping up the barrel of the previous year. Released a few years ago and I have no idea what quantities we are talking about. Whatever there was has sold out - I took the last 2 bottles home with me.

Taste wise, it’s brilliant. Really brilliant. I have reviewed a few of the Other Auz Jura Style whites here before and this stands out. The nose has some nutty element, but the first whif for me took me back to those monster Auz Chardonnay’s from the 90’s. It’s big and bold, rich,has plenty of old Champagne notes, some ginger and just lovely aged Chardonnay fruit. Apparently it was a typical Yellow wine a few years ago, but in the bottle it has mutated into this Chardonnay lookalike. Great stuff. Just a shame I could not get any more of it. Yum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Jan Janas

Post by Jan Janas »

mychurch wrote:
Spent a lovely afternoon in Geelong at the Archive wine bar. Great list, almost all available per glass thanks to Coravin and a choice of 75ml or 150ml pours. Split 5 rounds with a new wine acquaintance and came out feeling stone cold sober - that worked out at half a bottle over 3 hours. Perfect. The wife did though drive me home.

Highlight was the N.V. Between 5 Bells Yellow Wine. Made from Savignin and vinified at Lethbridge, this is a multi vintage blend, which stays under flor for a while. It comes in 500ml bottles and looks a lot like a Hungarian Tokaji. Story from the bar owner was that there was not enough grapes to make into a commercial quantity, so they decided to make a sort of Solera, with the next years crop topping up the barrel of the previous year. Released a few years ago and I have no idea what quantities we are talking about. Whatever there was has sold out - I took the last 2 bottles home with me.

Taste wise, it’s brilliant. Really brilliant. I have reviewed a few of the Other Auz Jura Style whites here before and this stands out. The nose has some nutty element, but the first whif for me took me back to those monster Auz Chardonnay’s from the 90’s. It’s big and bold, rich,has plenty of old Champagne notes, some ginger and just lovely aged Chardonnay fruit. Apparently it was a typical Yellow wine a few years ago, but in the bottle it has mutated into this Chardonnay lookalike. Great stuff. Just a shame I could not get any more of it. Yum.
That sounds awesome! The archive wine bar has been on my radar for a while, glad to hear you liked it. The wine sounds a lot like a bigger Sherry, I hope it had enough acidity to frame all that boldness!

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Jan

After I posted I did some searching and found this

“ 2 Barrels of Savagnin from Geelong made in 2008, left sous voile for 3 years and then a little bit of Solera for 7 years with the Chardonnay of each year.”

It’s the Chardonnay that was coming though for me - Not really in a sherry style.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Catching up on a few tasting notes since the start of January:

2013 Craiglee Shiraz, Sunbury, Victoria

It has a lighter/medium body, with red fruits, white pepper, spice, deli meats and a savoury/earthy tone to it. Lovely use of french oak. A very well balanced with a long lingering finish. Drink over the next 10 years. A fantastic wine. Best to decant for at least a couple of hours to show its best.

2016 Jim Barry Shiraz Single Vineyard, Watervale, Clare Valley

Definitely benefited with a bit of air time, opening up to show some development; tannins and fruit have softened, with lovely french oak spice. A very good expression of shiraz, medium/full bodied without being overripe or jammy, lovely balance. The use of french oak rounds out what is a pretty impressive wine. For my tastes, I wouldn't keep any longer, but if you like a more a mature wine has enough acidity and tannin to aid its aging in the cellar.

2017 Petaluma Riesling Hanlin Hill, Clare Valley

Beautiful fruit with zesty Limes, Pine-Lime, granny smith apple, a lovely minerality component, 'zingy' acidity, with a touch of a sweetness on a long and lingering finish.

2013 Henschke Johann's Garden, Barossa Valley

Drinking nicely. A nice balance between primary fruit and some bottle development. The palate has softened out with some raspberry liquorice notes, dried herbs and nice spice. A touch of drying tannin lingers on the finish. Overall, very enjoyable.

2013 Paulett’s “Andreas” Shiraz, Polish Hill River, Clare Valley

Brief impressions: Still primary fruit, dark, inky, palate starting to soften, but still some good acidity and nice ripe tannins. Give this a good decant before serving, at least 5-10 years of development potential. Lovely wine.

2020 Jim Barry Lodge Hill Riesling, Clare Valley

Love the fruit and balance on this one. Great length

2018 Rockford Eden Valley Riesling

Enjoyable but looking a bit tired and ‘flat’ for a 2018.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Festival of birthday rolls on
Lanson NV, not a bad sparkler, quite clean and spritzy with granny smith apple notes
1994 Coriole Lloyd Reserve Shiraz. At it peak, still quite dark, bricking at the edges, perfect cork. Note of perfume violet's and savory spice. On the palate medium bodied with great tannin structure, meaty savory with a lovely finish. A very good bottle.
2015 Leconfield The Sydney Reserve Cabernet Coonawarra. Managed to get hold of a few of these and a wine of great potential. Nose and palate of the darkest black blue fruits, oak is present but not overwhelming with a strong tannin profile. Way way too young, needs a decade. Should develop well.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1996 Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet... in some ways a Cabernet for Shiraz drinkers. In a really good spot now, and as others have lamented, it’s a shame it’s no longer made.

2004 Camille Saves Cuvée Anais Jolicouer... from memory the first release of this wine, which is basically the same wine as their vintage but oak aged. Very bitter at first and I was going to up it out.came back to it an hour later and it was fantastic. Grant smith apples on nose and finish. Really fun to drink and I look forward to having one alongside the regular vintage

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

Mike Hawkins wrote:1996 Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet... in some ways a Cabernet for Shiraz drinkers. In a really good spot now, and as others have lamented, it’s a shame it’s no longer made.
One of my favourite wines.

Is the 1996 Seppelt Great Western the Shiraz for Cabernet drinkers? :lol:

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I somewhat agree with the statement
GW Shiraz is fabulous and a much better VFM proposition than BV.
I would describe as fruit forward, solid structure but perhaps not as OTT as some really extracted versions you find in the BV. That said I like both.

Mike, Seppelts Dorrien and Drumborg...someone needed to sack that idiot marketer as soon as the idea was raised to discontinue those wines :evil:
Cheers Craig

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

EDFF34E4-DC84-4F2F-8CB5-3D431503B0C2.jpeg
One of these wines I love, it won’t buy anymore. No idea why they want to keep using them, but I have had issues with the corks they use - as some know here I am pretty insensitive to cork, so if I notice...Still, when the cork works, then wow. This is a super Chardonnay. It’s in the fatter style, with grilled nuts and some oatmeal on the nose. The palate is layered, which some peachy stone fruit, honeysuckle and a moorish, cashew tinged finish. Yum. I generally prefer the leaner style of Chardonnay, but this is brilliant and I am having to restrain myself from drinking more. Yum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2020 Rockford Vine Vale Riesling. Lovely wine, lemon pith, steely austere but complex. Will be a long termer...great drinking.
1997 Lindies Limestone Ridge. At the top of its game fabulous bottle.
Cork stained half way, deep red colour Shiraz and Cabernet completely entwined...long long finish on the palate, savory cigar box with a hint of sweetness. Really enjoyable.
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Ian S wrote:Is it wrong of me to be casting glances at the Ygay? :lol:

[url=https://postimg.cc/hQx07jJC][img]https://i.postimg.cc/fyqqpSMh/55238-EAD-F78- ... 276-FB.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/yDdWZg5v][img]https://i.postimg.cc/rwG4759X/4-BD59-BF8-6-D ... 3-C6-B.jpg[/img][/url]

Let's not pollute the nebbiolo thread.... :D

I picked Ygay blind which upset the friend who brought it along. Glue/resin in mature old fash' Rioja due American Oak a giveaway and an options game is a bit brutal as presenting as a detractor.

Raveneau stunning! Many others too. For me, Vietti was of course the darling on the night. I only have time to write up nebbiolos and I'll sure miss the incredible diversity of wine drinking in Hong Kong.

This Mondeuse en magnum most interesting wine of the night. Quite sort after now in FRA evidently- the winemaker passed some time ago.

[url=https://postimg.cc/wyJ1jCPz][img]https://i.postimg.cc/wyJ1jCPz/B3-C8-A108-A60 ... 084-F3.jpg[/img][/url]
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

1997 Lindies St George, classic Coonawarra. Perfect cork, lovely dark colour. Nose of cigar box, blue berry and a tiny bit of ecalypt. Palate structure very appealing, great fruit carry through, fine dry tannins, fabulous finish. These wines and there a few more to come are drinking really well.
Cheers Craig

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

2006 Paringa Estate Riesling - a pale golden yellow. nose and taste matching pretty well in this bottle. a little bit of green apple and crunchy green grape flavoured acid, but being submerged in the gold (I find it difficult to describe, like faint sweetness, faint honeysuckle, sauternes almost no sweetness or heaviness). And the nose prepared me exactly for it.
I was so happy that the first three bottles I pulled out (to have with flathead on home-made foccacia) were two 2006's and one 2007 of the same wine.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

57E233A7-B468-4DCB-B212-88DF46ABA58B.jpeg
C4890E4B-B886-497D-B4C7-5291726C125B.jpeg
Online with Jelle in Amsterdam.

We were meant to start with an aged Ganevat white, but we will try again next time as both our bottles had a lot suspended sediment. That meant a quick replacement and the Vino Volta. My first Flor Chenin, and I don’t really get it. It’s quite Chardonnay like, with a very funky nose. I love Jura and Sherry and have had some good Flor Rieslings, but this does not seem to work for me. Nice to see people experimenting, but sometimes they do fail.

The Cabernet is one of Penley Estates small volume, experimental range. Lovely fruit - raspberry liqueur and black berry - served slightly chilled. Imagine in 20 years this will be what everyone is making out in Coonawarra. Structure comes with time in the glass, but it’s just so juicy and easy to drink that I actually would rather it stayed ‘simple’. Yum.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

[url=https://postimg.cc/dhvBj0dX][img]https://i.postimg.cc/dhvBj0dX/8-FE5198-E-38- ... CC3-C6.jpg[/img][/url]

Bugger of a wine to drop if you familiar with old Musar blanc :-(
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

:shock: :(

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Lake Breeze 2009 Langhorne Creek Cabernet Sauvignon

A chewy tannic wine in its infancy so typical of the vintage in SA it has finally come around with dense black colour and lovely black fruits. Still plenty of time to develop more secondary characteristics. It will benefit from another 5+ years easily and plateau for some time thereafter.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Chuck wrote:Lake Breeze 2009 Langhorne Creek Cabernet Sauvignon
Quite an underrated producer - I've always enjoyed drinking their wines, and great QPR, IMHO.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

FCB43562-6D41-4A1A-BB05-FEE736E95549.jpeg
B0E2BE1C-C281-4677-AA7D-54EDD8AC34D5.jpeg
My friend Michiel was due to tutor a George Bruer tasting in Amsterdam yesterday, but it was called of due to Covid , which meant there was time for my Wierd Wine group to partially get together - 1 of the 4 of us has missed the last 3 tasting due to the stress of a first baby.

Never heard of Susumaniello until tonight. It comes in a very heavy bottle, intended to impress, which it really does not need. Starts of very warm and open, with creamy oak and some blueberry. Very silky, round and new world in style. Hard to see anyone resisting an open bottle for more than an hour, but with age dark cherry notes arrive and there is a hint of a tannic structure. Mic and Jelle both drink a lot of the top Etna reds and if you like these, then this is worth looking out for at 1/3 of the price.

The Bloom is a magnificent wine. It’s spends 6.5 years in Barrel as per Vin Jaune, but of course it’s made with Chardonnay instead of Savignin. The Chardonnay seems to handle the Flor a lot more than some grapes and while it’s exotic to begin with, it’s not as funky as the recent Chenin and Riesling versions. With air the wine explodes. The barrel aging and the Flor seem to have added to the intensity and there is warm wall of cashew and peach in amongst the saline tones. Touch of old champagne as well. Its similar to the Between Five Walls i reviewed earlier, but that was more of an experiment, while this is a continuous effort to make a wine in a certain style. Brilliant and I’d love to drink this next to Crittendons version

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:[url=https://postimg.cc/dhvBj0dX][img]https://i.postimg.cc/dhvBj0dX/8-FE5198-E-38- ... CC3-C6.jpg[/img][/url]

Bugger of a wine to drop if you familiar with old Musar blanc :-(
Gut wrenching.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

kenzo wrote:
Quite an underrated producer - I've always enjoyed drinking their wines, and great QPR, IMHO.
Good QPR indeed, though to be honest my experience has only been with their Bernoota red blend. I recall finding some 1999s when it was already about 10 years old and even then I thought it had more life ahead of it so squirreled away a couple of bottles and have since added a couple of 2005s.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Good QPR indeed, though to be honest my experience has only been with their Bernoota red blend. I recall finding some 1999s when it was already about 10 years old and even then I thought it had more life ahead of it so squirreled away a couple of bottles and have since added a couple of 2005s.
Langhorne Creek grapes can to be found in many multiregional blends by the big boys (eg Penfolds Bin 389, Wolf Blass blends). On the road from Strathalbyn it's a sea of new and maturing vines. Malbec does well there as do the mainstays of cabernet and shiraz. Whites IMO are not their strong suite. Some really nice fortifieds too. The local producers have a long history, loyal following and prices are very reasonable. It's a short pretty drive from Adelaide (1.25 hours?) and the historic town of Strathalbyn is worth a quick stopover. Well worth a quick visit if you have a spare few hours in Adelaide.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Chuck wrote: ... and the historic town of Strathalbyn is worth a quick stopover. Well worth a quick visit if you have a spare few hours in Adelaide.
Strathalbyn is a very pretty country town. What I remember most is going into a small antique store and, much to my surprise, found six plates of Japanese Noritake bone china with the identical design that my mother had. I was very tempted to buy them but decided against it considering I would have to take them back to Sydney in the boot of my car and then into my checked luggage for the flight back to Canada. Of course I regretted not doing it, much like when I regretted not buying the complete 12 volume hard cover set of Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time which I found in a used bookstore in Peshawar, Pakistan and could have had it mailed home.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

From my first wine dinner of the year, back in January (sorry havent had time to post notes yet!)

Theme is open (ie Bring anything from anywhere)

As always all wines served blind

Wine # 1 (Starter) - 2005 Mount Pleasant Lovedale Semillon
Lovely yellow gold colour. Initial nose of citrus and butter. Creamy texture as well, mouthcoating.

The nose continues the citrus theme with Lemon Oil and Grapefruit. Some cashew nuttiness as well. Dry grassy/hay notes should have had me in Sem territory but for some reason I chose Chardonnay. I think the Creamy texture threw me off together with that hint of butter.
Serious wine with a long life ahead. Length was fantastic and great starter.

Wine # 2 - 2002 Billecart-Salmon Cuvee Nicholas Francois
Baked apples, honey, floral and yeasty nose. Very high quality bubbles here.

Immediately noticed the dry finish which was stunning. Ultrafine mousse, like little pillows of clouds. Rich mouthfeel, fruit is perfect, feels barrel fermented or barrel aged (not sure)
White flowers and oatmeal. Assume its a blend? Has some slight strawberry creaminess which I attribute Pinot too. Yellow peaches and lemon custard/curd went on and on. More please
My first bottle of this and yeah.... wow maybe even wine of the night

Wine # 3 - 2014 Pyramid Valley Lion's Tooth Chardonnay
Serious intensity of fruit here. Both on the nose and in the mouth. Wet slate and minerals, linerar body but rich fruit. Oak not evident but its
in the background, supporting role only. Superstar is the fruit. Nectarines, White peach fruit. No oyster shell or chalky/tlac minerals, so im
not in Chablis, doesn't feel french. Thought it was Vic Chardonnay, so that was my guess.......... only 3 hrs plane ride and an ocean wrong.
Lemon Acidity, nice. Second bottle of this I have had and it has grown considerably. Filled out and matured over the past few years.
My first one was a thin, pretty lifeless chardonnay from anywhere, This has character, personality and has really bloomed.

Wine # 4 - 2014 Le Vigne di Eli 'Pignatuni' Etna Rosso
Wow what an explosive nose this has, Wonderful purple florals. Purple pastille fruit, liquorice root, musk and raspberry,
Slight hint of rosewater/turkish delight as well. Sage, oregano herbs, almonds. Whif of VA but it blew off eventually with time in the glass. Black cherry, Coal minerals. Good stuff

Wine # 5 - 2006 Isole e Olena Cepparello
Not happy with this. Screwcap which is a VERY modern closure for a 2006 Italian and the reason I bought it. It SHOULD have been much better than this, but it wasnt. Tired and lacking fruit. Oak dominated and overpowered the wine. Wasn't cooked or faulty, just felt past it.
No one picked it as a Sangiovese let alone italian. Big No from me... of course it was my wine

Wine # 6 - 2012 Isole e Olena Cepparello
Yeah WOW now we are talking. This is what my wine should have been like, but better!
In a really weird way, this isnt the first time this person and I have brought the exact same wine to an offline (just different vintages). I mean what are the chances, in a completely open theme (ie Bring anything from anywhere), you end up with the exact same wine! Uncanny
Back to the wine. Huge furry tannin, rich and ripe fruit, but pure Sangiovese. Easy to identify, perfectly handled oak just a touch in a supporting role. Nice slightly peppery spice, dark cherry, dried italian mixed herbs, more purple fruit, earth and touch of liquorice. medium body, but magnificent and has structure to last a long time (Still screwcap)

Wine # 7 - 1990 Jim Barry The Armagh Shiraz- Faulty

Wine # 8 - 2005 Domaine Pierre Amiot et Fils Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots
Mushrooms, damp earth, and some back palate sweetness. I immediately thought it was
a Pommard as it had such lovely sweet cherry fruit (I was close - 30klms between regions). I love the depth of the fruit here, still clear ruby red in colour, again wild raspberry with some forest floor. Some leather notes and black tea leaf type tannin too. Acid still holding strong and this has got some great length! Doesnt have the power of a Grand Cru, but bloody held its own in this blind tasting. Lovely stuff

Wine # 9 - 2007 Ca' Rome' di Romano Marengo Barolo Vigna Cerretta
Immediate nose of mens aftershave and some oak. What is this wine!
Feels very young, under 10 years of age..... lol - wrong!
Some alcohol heat on the nose as well that was a little distracting. Didnt pick it as
Barolo, thought maybe Barbaresco but again not 100% sure.
After LOTS of air and time in the glass, it began to open up a little, and that liquorice and
tar notes came out. Slight black cherry, nice acid, but gee dont open another one for 5+ years.

Wine # 10 (Backup) - 2002 Jim Barry The Armagh Shiraz
Sweetness, Syrup, Spice, and Dense fruit. Very intense black fruit too, so very young.
Clear, precise and a huge wine, not sure of alcohol, but wow its big. Not hot or dry, but
still has eucalypt in there that's quite prominent. Plums, blackberries and dark chocolate.
Some star anise and cloves with black olives and chargrilled meat. Oak prominent, needs to be to handle that massive powerful fruit. Reminds me of the 1994 I had a few years ago and wouldn't have the 1990 been a treat if it wasn't cactus.

Wine # 11 - 1996 Best's Pinot Meunier Old Vines
From vines planted in 1860's, tiny production and by all accounts highly sought after.
Medium body at best, feels very young. Again feels like under 10 years old...... lol...... oh man
im bad at this! My first try of this wine ever, so when it was revealed, I was very excited. Cherry popped. Just a pup, still seemingly finding its feet, but at 25 years!! WOW.
Pale red, translucent, Raspberry sweetness, acid still prominent. Spicy nose too, rosepetal perfume. Not as complex as I was hoping for, but a very enjoyable wine none the less.

Wine # 12 - 1967 Chateau Reynella Vintage Port - Past its best, but you could see what a great wine this once was. VA overpowering.

Wine # 13- 1966 Leo Buring Reserve Bin P121 Vintage Port - Faulty/Gone

Wine # 14 - 1958/64/67 All Saints Old Liqueur Muscat
Ok now we are talking! Needed some air as it had an initial nose of rubber bands. That blew off, and revealed this wonderful aged wine. Didn't feel like a tawny or VP the mouthfeel was too rich for that. Super rich, super silky in the mouth. Coffee, Raisins, Rancio feels like a muscat (yes got one for once!). Intense creamy butterscotch, like werther's originals in liquid form, coates the palate,
intensity of the wine really interesting too, so much life here.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

...and you're right to be shocked by the disappointing Cepparello. A bottle of the 1988 at 20 years old was in fine form, yet feeling like there might be even more to come from it. Five bottles of 1993 were a little variable, but the last at 16 years old was the best of the lot, but most likely at peak. 2006 was a very highly touted vintage in the region and I've certainly had some good Tuscan wines from that vintage.

I've never tried that Pinot Meunier from Best's but would jump at the chance to try it. I love that they do things their own way, and rather enjoyed their Cab Franc a few years ago.

A shame you hit a high number of faulty wines, but at least the successes were notable.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Rossco wrote: Wine # 5 - 2006 Isole e Olena Cepparello
Not happy with this. Screwcap which is a VERY modern closure for a 2006 Italian and the reason I bought it. It SHOULD have been much better than this, but it wasnt. Tired and lacking fruit. Oak dominated and overpowered the wine. Wasn't cooked or faulty, just felt past it.
No one picked it as a Sangiovese let alone italian. Big No from me... of course it was my wine
I am going to take this as evidence of variation under screwcap. Was the seal undamaged, if you recall by any chance?

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Ian S wrote:...and you're right to be shocked by the disappointing Cepparello. A bottle of the 1988 at 20 years old was in fine form, yet feeling like there might be even more to come from it. Five bottles of 1993 were a little variable, but the last at 16 years old was the best of the lot, but most likely at peak. 2006 was a very highly touted vintage in the region and I've certainly had some good Tuscan wines from that vintage.

I've never tried that Pinot Meunier from Best's but would jump at the chance to try it. I love that they do things their own way, and rather enjoyed their Cab Franc a few years ago.

A shame you hit a high number of faulty wines, but at least the successes were notable.
LOL wait till I post the most recent March Tasting. Highest number of faulty wines I have ever been a part of, AND mostly from
one Etna Producer (not SRC). Has the whole table (including myself) now reconsidering their long term investment in this producer/region. The shocking fault rate on the Etna's was so high we are planning on another tasting (which is unheard of), just to see if its an aberration.

The Best's OV PM was a very, very good wine experience, but not profound or life changing. I count myself fortunate to have been able to sample,
and thank the presenter very much for his thoughtfulness!

Im not really that worried about the Cepparello if im honest, im more disappointed it was my wine. Had the the Australian Importer label
and none of the cap was damaged from what I could see. So bottle/batch variance could be a very real possibility. Storage could be another issue, but as i mentioned, it didn't show any cooked characters. Thats wine for you, ce la vie

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2001 Craiglee Shiraz. Perfect cork, very bright dark purple. Nose of classic white pepper, even the better half suggested same. Lovely mellow palate had a slight cool climate feel. Absolutely at its peak. Wonderful wine, have 4-5 left to drink over the next few years.
Cheers Craig

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

No wine, but 1st dose of the Oxford Astra-Zenica jab at the end of last week. Groggy, but the alternative much less appealing!

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

phillisc wrote:2001 Craiglee Shiraz. Perfect cork, very bright dark purple. Nose of classic white pepper, even the better half suggested same. Lovely mellow palate had a slight cool climate feel. Absolutely at its peak. Wonderful wine, have 4-5 left to drink over the next few years.
Cheers Craig
A wine that I think deserves a much higher recognition than it has. The flipside is it's cheaper than it ought to be!