Penfolds new ground-breaking reds

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Penfolds new ground-breaking reds

Post by Matt@5453 »

I believe these will be in China very soon...

[url]https://www.therealreview.com/2021/02/17/pen ... king-reds/[/url]

sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Penfolds new ground-breaking reds

Post by sjw_11 »

Wow... just wow.
------------------------------------
Sam

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Well everyone is gushing about them on the wine front and I didn’t want to spoil their party but for me it’s still just too exy and out of my league. There’s plenty of others in the sub $70 I go for . Interesting read all the same.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Id like to try them. I am a on again off again Penfolds guy. Mostly off due to prices.

But look, this looks interesting and I want to see what they have done here.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A Bordeaux/Aussie Shiraz and California/Aussie Shiraz blend would certainly put a spanner in blind tastings. The Len Evans options game question of old world/new world would have to be scrapped, and that would surely give the game away.

kaos

Post by kaos »

Huon Hooke uses the 99 point scale!

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

Interesting time for Penfolds/Treasury to create new high end wines. Yet another restructuring...

[url]https://www.reuters.com/article/us-treasury- ... KKBN2AG2Q7[/url]

Who is going to buy these wines now that the Chinese market is gone for some unknown time?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Surely time now for Bin 007...whatever next. I can't find an emoji eye roll big enough.

Go hard boys and girls, Uncle Sam...er sorry Penfolds wants you!!

When I had a couple of days in the NV back in 2016, it was a surreal experience tasting wine in another country, but still prefer Yarra and Coona Cabs.
Interestingly Kelowna and BC wineries a week later did it for me more than the Californian jobbies.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

phillisc wrote:Interestingly Kelowna and BC wineries a week later did it for me more than the Californian jobbies.
I have to say I wish I had started on Canadian wines years ago. Now it is far too late to enjoy their trajectory over time. However, in my defense, many of the good wines, as opposed to the mass produced ones, had limited availability in my home market.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

How did that Maison de Grand Esprit thing play out that they did years ago in Burgundy? Still going? Or was it just another winemaker vanilty project (as this may turn out to be).

Interestingly I bought some bottles of 2019 Giant Steps pinot the other week and they actually said on the back label that it contained 8% Otago pinot in it. I always thought the early iterations of Marlborough SB (80s/90s) had a bit of Aussie semillon in them, but I was surprised to see the confession on the back label of Giant Steps.

Wasn't someone blending Chilean reds into goon a few years ago as well?

brodie

Post by brodie »

GraemeG wrote:Or was it just another winemaker vanity project (as this may turn out to be)?
Agree with this sentiment. It feels like everything TWE does with the Penfolds brand these days is a vanity project or one kind or another. Pricing is absurd at all levels and has been for a long time. What's in the bottle does not even come close to match the pricing.

Good luck to them and I am guessing Auswine folks here are not the target audience for these wines (not that I can figure who is exactly!)

Brodie

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

GraemeG wrote:Interestingly I bought some bottles of 2019 Giant Steps pinot the other week and they actually said on the back label that it contained 8% Otago pinot in it. I always thought the early iterations of Marlborough SB (80s/90s) had a bit of Aussie semillon in them, but I was surprised to see the confession on the back label of Giant Steps.
:shock:

How very odd indeed and not something I expect from a label like Giant Steps! Do you know why they blended with NZ Pinot?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

i guess now they have access to the TOSQ vineyard in Central Otago they are going to use the fruit however they see best. They have always been enthusiastic about their sites. I kinda know this site and there were good wines made from there by the before Giant Steps got it (provided Central Otago Pinot is your thing of course),

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I am no fan of Penfolds and the only red from them I’ve purchased in the last 7-8 years is St Henri. I will say that they are doing very good things with Chardonnay though.

But if the Bin 704 is as good as the reviews say, for $120 it’s decent value. There are very few quality Napa Cabs available for that money in Australia. I did manage to pick up some Domaine Eden a while back for a good price, but in my efforts to diversify my cellar, Napa Cabs are hard to find at decent prices in Australia.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

ticklenow1 wrote:I am no fan of Penfolds and the only red from them I’ve purchased in the last 7-8 years is St Henri.
That is pretty much the same for me, though I did pick up a bottle of Bin 51 Riesling. Last year I even turned down an opportunity to buy a magnum of 2009 Bin 707 at the old wholesale price.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

ticklenow1 wrote:I am no fan of Penfolds and the only red from them I’ve purchased in the last 7-8 years is St Henri.
Ditto. I picked up some 2004 St Henri for ~ £25 a bottle (might even have been less) when a supermarket chain wiped out their last vestiges of ambition. That's the youngest I have. I honestly couldn't see myself buying another bottle of Penfolds again. Between the prices and the style (and the painfully aspirational marketing initiatives like this), it's just not a company that is a good match for me.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

For me it was a bit more, £30 for the 2004, but a little less for a 2006 - £23. Different stores but both on clearance.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

BBR just offered these new wines, with the Bin 704 at £186/6 pack in bond ... I actually would have bought one at that price, but while I dithered they sold out- proving popular in the UK, although that is a fair bit less than the Aussie RRP.
------------------------------------
Sam

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

ticklenow1 wrote:Napa Cabs are hard to find at decent prices in Australia.

Cheers
Ian
And in the US!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Ian S wrote:
Ditto. I picked up some 2004 St Henri for ~ £25 a bottle (might even have been less) when a supermarket chain wiped out their last vestiges of ambition. That's the youngest I have. I honestly couldn't see myself buying another bottle of Penfolds again. Between the prices and the style (and the painfully aspirational marketing initiatives like this), it's just not a company that is a good match for me.
Ian remember same and posted here a while back, ?? 02/04 St Henri in the Harrods wine store at Knightsbridge 23 Pounds...the chap said we don't move much of it
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Matt@5453 wrote:I believe these will be in China very soon...

I'd say Penfolds have more chance of winning Lotto than selling those in China.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

felixp21 wrote:
Matt@5453 wrote:I believe these will be in China very soon...

I'd say Penfolds have more chance of winning Lotto than selling those in China.
Please explain?

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

phillisc wrote:
Ian S wrote:
Ian remember same and posted here a while back, ?? 02/04 St Henri in the Harrods wine store at Knightsbridge 23 Pounds...the chap said we don't move much of it
Cheers Craig
The first time in history that someone got a bargain in Harrods :D :mrgreen: