Anyone tried the latest Rockford release?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael R

Re: Anyone tried the latest Rockford release?

Post by Michael R »

Tucked in over Christmas, had about 4 or 5 of the 17 Moppa, always love this wine and serve it straight from the wine fridge at 14-15 degs. The 17 is a quality example and will age over medium term but I just can’t keep my hands of them.
Had the 09 Rifle Range, in pristine condition but somewhat raisiny and disappointing. Definitely drinkable but a let down on expectations.
16 Dry Country Grenache, cracking wine, had 2 bottles and really eye catching juice. A friend opened a bottle of Bekkers Grenache to try beside it and it was chalk and cheese.
The Mac Vale wine was a fruit punch in the face (not for me), but the Rockford has these lovely earthy, savoury notes with quality grippy tannin In the background.
This wine definitely excited and ill get more once double dipping is allowed.
Had a couple of the Black Shiraz including the latest release. I can enjoy them but generally open for others who really appreciate it. No real impression other than it’s a decent sparkling Shiraz.

Interesting how many times a Rockford bottle leads to conversation about the winery, this is one I find hard to shut up about as I really love their work and appreciate their outstanding customer service. Seems like every time I speak to them I feel even more connected to the winery.

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

We were at the CD during this New Year period and it is worth the one hour+ wait. This is my first visit there but had many experience with their BP and RR. Brett was attending to our group and he did a good job. We were very impressed with their Marion Tawny. We were lucky to grab a few bottles of their 2012 Eden Valley Riesling, museum release. I also grab a case of the RR and sign on to be a member. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Alan

Redav

Post by Redav »

Did you get a chance to taste the museum release Riesling (I don't know that they'd offer tastings of it? If so, how was it?

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Just finishing up my 04's and 05's. Their Eden Valley riesling is great at the 15 year mark.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I did pick up a few of the older Moppa to try, as well as the extraordinarily long lees-time Black sparkling. Due to budgetary constraints I had only purchased BP and Black previously, but thanks to comments on this board I branched out to Moppa, Rod and Spur, Grenache, and VP (well, more bottles of said VP anyway). Another one I did go for was the 17 RR in half bottles - as well as the 750s. My excuse being they would be a good way to judge development of the birth year wine, and make good gifts as well. As someone recently posted somewhere I read and resonated with, half bottles are a good thing to have!

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

Redav wrote:Did you get a chance to taste the museum release Riesling (I don't know that they'd offer tastings of it? If so, how was it?
Hi Redav,
Yes, the 2012 Riesling museum release was offered for tasting. It's a wonderful drop, full of favour.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Alan Foo wrote:Yes, the 2012 Riesling museum release was offered for tasting. It's a wonderful drop, full of favour.
Ah, good stuff. I wish I was a local :(
JamieBahrain wrote:Just finishing up my 04's and 05's. Their Eden Valley riesling is great at the 15 year mark.
Oh nice. What are they like at that point? How have they developed? We've only been buying them for a couple of years and only a few to see how they are and put one away. I'm keen on adding more of them to the order. It has been mentioned here a few times that it's the pick of the two Rieslings.
kenzo wrote:but thanks to comments on this board I branched out to Moppa, Rod and Spur, Grenache
Good one, you won't be unhappy.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I prefer the cheaper Eden Valley over the Stonewall Vine Vale and agree they age beautifully. I think I should call about the ‘12 museum release, how much were they asking for it?

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

A_Steady wrote:I prefer the cheaper Eden Valley over the Stonewall Vine Vale and agree they age beautifully. I think I should call about the ‘12 museum release, how much were they asking for it?
The 2012 museum release was at $37 Enjoy :D :)

Redav

Post by Redav »

A_Steady wrote:I prefer the cheaper Eden Valley over the Stonewall Vine Vale and agree they age beautifully. I think I should call about the ‘12 museum release, how much were they asking for it?
If you do, please let us know

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Thanks Alan, I was hoping there would be a few new releases to make up a case with, but there is only one I want and don't have atm ('19 Sem) so I will wait - there should be a '20 frugal farmer soon and I like them once they have 3-4 years bottle age so hopefully the museum Riesling will still be available then.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

A_Steady wrote:Thanks Alan, I was hoping there would be a few new releases to make up a case with, but there is only one I want and don't have atm ('19 Sem) so I will wait - there should be a '20 frugal farmer soon and I like them once they have 3-4 years bottle age so hopefully the museum Riesling will still be available then.
The ‘20 Frugal Farmer has now been released, I’m running out of excuses..... I better give them a call Monday

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

A_Steady wrote:
A_Steady wrote:Thanks Alan, I was hoping there would be a few new releases to make up a case with, but there is only one I want and don't have atm ('19 Sem) so I will wait - there should be a '20 frugal farmer soon and I like them once they have 3-4 years bottle age so hopefully the museum Riesling will still be available then.
The ‘20 Frugal Farmer has now been released, I’m running out of excuses..... I better give them a call Monday
Hahaha! go for it before they run out of stock and I am sure you will not regret it.