Wendouree 2020 Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Wendouree 2020 Mailer

Post by phillisc »

So we can have all the right cattle in all the right paddocks, here is the thread for the new releases.
Must admit I revisited the 2018 and '19 threads over the last few days and they make for an excellent read.

Hope everyone gets the spoils...the 18s should be absolute belters :D

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieBahrain

Re: Wendouree 2020 Mailer

Post by JamieBahrain »

COVID may be what finally breaks my annual Wendouree order. Have been filling the financial life-boat instead of buying fine wine.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Well there you go, mailer arrived today, exactly a year to the day.
6 wines this year, no pressings
If memory serves, remarkable in these challenging times NO price increases from last year...gotta love the Brady's :mrgreen:

Shiraz $65
C/S and C/M $60
Malbec $55
S/M and S/Mataro $50

Limit of 6 on all wines this year. If I have one mild criticism freight rates of $10:50 a sixer to Adelaide seems a bit steep.
Cheers Craig

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

JamieBahrain wrote:COVID may be what finally breaks my annual Wendouree order. Have been filling the financial life-boat instead of buying fine wine.
Take care Jamie. A lot of people in the same boat but for international pilots like you (I presume) I think it's going to be a long haul if you excuse the pun. I hope you enjoy many great wines from your stunning collection and excellent food from HK during the extended layover and not put on too much weight like I and many have.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Thanks for your thoughts Chuck.

I went through the Ansett collapse in 2001. I didn't buy Wendouree that year either ( vintage 2000 ). I have had a great run since then- could even hang up the boots in a modest manner. Though I don't have enough Barolo for an early retirement.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

I asked in the other thread but perhaps this is a better place...Anyone have any insights in the quality of this vintage in Clare?

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

TommyB wrote:I asked in the other thread but perhaps this is a better place...Anyone have any insights in the quality of this vintage in Clare?
2018 was a lot drier, compared to the very wet 2017. There were no significant heatwaves during a very good ripening period. Nice colour and tannin profiles in the reds. Tipping some quality reds of those old vines. Across the region you'll find it was overall good year.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

If anyone has some spare from their allocation, I'd be keen to pick up some bottles this year! Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Simon

Mattsy

Post by Mattsy »

Second year here, letter arrived.
Has a “2019” stamp in the top corner of the order form. No mark or crayon otherwise. Is this a new thing?

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

received yesterday. red stripe. standard issue army boots.

in the same boat as a few. will probably get some. what that looks like in the current climate I'm not sure.

Didn't they close off mailing list for a couple of years because last year there were a few disappointed members?
That could be turned on its head like everything else this year. :roll:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

This will be my 20th vintage of buying Wendouree and I'm still a red striper.

-- George Krashos

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

George - I have my own feelings on that. Nice people and business and all that but customer loyalty is not rewarded in my opinion with regard to this issue. I was burnt for the 2015 vintage at the expense of newbies. Perhaps they need to record and reward long term customers. I will say no more and cross my fingers.

livcoll

Post by livcoll »

Think the 2015 was a stuff up for a few older members. Myself included. Was very frustrating. But had no issues following years since seems fixed. Think it’s part of parcel of buying Wendouree! Well that’s what I told myself..

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

So, have any Sydney people received their offer yet? I'm getting sweaty palms and FOMO.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

I am in Melbourne - still no mail. Just a reflection of poor Aus Post delivery frequency

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I wrote to them last year requesting to join their mailing list. I received a lovely handwritten card in return advising that as volumes were down for the upcoming vintages that they would not be accepting any new members. :(

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

Melbourne, arrived yesterday.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Perth, arrived today. Obviously our Premier still lets the mail get through :lol:

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Hacker wrote:So, have any Sydney people received their offer yet? I'm getting sweaty palms and FOMO.
Letter turned up today, phewww. Ordered most offerings but not necessarily 6 of each. I have always been lucky enough to have the black initials as opposed to various coloured stripes.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Arrived in regional Tas today

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Finally arrived here in suburban Melbourne. Will wack it in the post tomorrow.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

An observation about this year's shiraz vs. previous years; normally the shiraz is a mixture of 1893 Central Vineyard Bush vines and other vines, but this year's 2018 shiraz is only from 1919 Eastern vineyard plantings. The only Bush Vines mentioned in this years offering is in the Shiraz Mataro with 1920 Eastern vineyard bush vines.

I wonder why the Bradys have not used the 1893 Central bush vines this year? If anyone knows please share.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Got my mail yesterday in Sydney - will be interesting if orders are down due to C19.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

If there is anyone in Sydney who doesn't want their whole allocation I would love a few bottles please!

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

tuxy85 wrote:I wrote to them last year requesting to join their mailing list. I received a lovely handwritten card in return advising that as volumes were down for the upcoming vintages that they would not be accepting any new members. :(
I take this back ..... I just received my very first Wendouree mailer. I am splitting a 6 pack with a mate so we both get 2 bottles of Shiraz Mataro and 1 bottle of Cabernet Malbec each.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Just received my letter. Red Stripe but have missed out on wines 2 or 3 times the last few years. Not expecting to get a full order this year either with the reduced yields. It seems no matter how quick I send the order form back, I miss out on Shiraz and Cabernet. I only ever order 3 of everything. If it wasn’t for my wife loving the wines, I probably wouldn’t bother. Wendouree are her favourites. While good bottles are great, I’ve found good ones rare to my tastes...

It really is a backward ordering system. I have no problem missing out on the wines, but when you hear that newbies get full orders and regulars miss out, I shrug my shoulders a little. I think a lot of people like the romance of the letters and waiting to see what they get, but it’s the 21st century. Email and a simple spreadsheet would sort all the issues out.

I’ve got grief from the wife for not getting the Shiraz and Cabernet a few times, come on Mr and Mrs Brady, help a man out please. 8)
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Have given in to temptation and attempted to go for a mixed 6 pack via a friends mailer. We haven't had a great run of luck so lets see how we go this year.
------------------------------------
Sam

mse

Post by mse »

Sydneysider here. Received letter on Tuesday 7/7 and posted order form on 8/7. Ordered 6 of each reds. I might call next week to check the mail. Let’s see what I will get. :?:

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Metro Melbourne... arrived 7/7. Not sure if this is the year to pass, or to go limit long everything and live life. Will decide over a bottle tonight...

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

MSE, don't poke the bear mate...best to lie low
Hawksmoor go long, really long, what ever you can afford is what I ordered.
If money is not an issue then 36 bottles should be a standard order this year, saves breaking cartons :wink:

Anyway, this year, 19 and 20 will be it...suspect it will be down to two things, one; if the Brady's keep going for while longer and you would suspect at least 2 more years with those vintages in the tank, and Tony will still be south of 80, two, if the lads, a relative, friend want to keep the name on the list and someone else buys the wine. Think there would be a few instances of this happening already.

All the best with how it works out
Cheers Craig