Seppelt Drumborg Pinot Noir 2012 (Great Western, Victoria)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Seppelt Drumborg Pinot Noir 2012 (Great Western, Victoria)

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

It's a shame to hear of the closure of Seppelt's Great Western winery. It will be interesting to see if TWE continues to produce the range and startling quality to date.

Vibrant purple in colour. A 'climb out of the glass' nose of red cherries, strawberry and lots of primary fruit, with the merest hint of cedary oak. The palate is more complex, with fine but drying tannins, prominent supporting acid, and a good flood of fresh fruit focusing towards a fantail finish.

This is looking pretty good now, but I may wait 2 more years before trying again. I suspect it will become more complex and fill out with age - it's quite a lean wine now.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: Seppelt Drumborg Pinot Noir 2012 (Great Western, Victoria)

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've left it less than a year, after suggesting I should wait for 2. Mea culpa :)

My previous tasting note is still substantially correct, with primary fruits - cherries, strawberry - but it's starting to show some cloves, bay leaf and other herbal notes. The palate also reflects this development, with dusty delicate tannins supporting some palate texture with the fruit flowing over the top.

It's more interesting now than several months ago. Maybe I'll wait another year this time :)

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Having waited 2 1/2 years since the last bottle of this wine, I can report a reasonable amount of change and development. The colour has lightened considerably, and there's still a reasonable amount of cherry fruit (less so strawberry), but it is more in the dark cherry spectrum. The nose is also showing some pepper and the sorts of spices that tickle the nose a little.

The palate is still quite balanced, between fine but grippy tannins, freshening acid, and the secondary fruit flavours are light on the tongue. Finish is quite linear. This is enjoyable drinking now, but as to whether it will improve? Possibly not.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Sounds like it is developing nicely, and from your descripion of the depth of fruit, as well as tannin annd acidity, my guess is that there are some promising years ahead.

kaos

Post by kaos »

Hi Allan

Can you please explain to me what you mean when you use the phrase "linear finish"?

Thanks
M

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

kaos wrote:Hi Allan

Can you please explain to me what you mean when you use the phrase "linear finish"?

Thanks
M
Sure, kaos. I don't know whether this is a technically description, but for me its where the wine enters the throat with the line of acid being prominent. As opposed to a mouthfilling wine which can finish quite broadly, the linear finish seems to go with more delicate wines (reds especially).

There's also the fantail finish which pinot noir is apparently known for. Perhaps that's what I am calling linear. Maybe someone more familiar with the terms can advise?

Cheers
Allan

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Waiters Friend wrote:
kaos wrote:Hi Allan

Thanks
M
its where the wine enters the throat with the line of acid being prominent. As opposed to a mouthfilling wine which can finish quite broadly, the linear finish seems to go with more delicate wines (reds especially).
I often use this term as well, and that is basically exactly the same as how I think of it as well. Interesting.

I can't say I have ever noticed experiencing the magic fan tail of Pinot but I am not a massive Pinotphiliac
------------------------------------
Sam

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I've used "linear" to mean a clean, focused line of attack in a wine, more often in white come to think of it. As for "fan tail finish" (not a term I've used before) it seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, to refer to a broad, expansive finish with little or no tannins.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Pulling the corks in four or five bottles of Italian wine most weeks and I get the term linear.

Having observed the amateur online wine community in Australia for 20 years its interesting where tasting note commentary has evolved as palates broaden ( often from more international drinking ) As with the above note, I find I “get”many tasting notes more so than of old as bloggers capture a wine with more non-technical descriptions.

Acidity is a good example - the proliferation of northern Italian consumption I figure - that sees details of acidity such as flavour infusions and carry commented on.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano