How many bottles in your collection?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Less than 100
No votes
100-250
8%
251-500
19%
501-1000
28%
1001-2000
28%
2001-3000
9%
3001-4000
4%
4001-5000
2%
5001-10000
2%
More than 10000
No votes

Total votes: 53

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

I'm curious about how many bottles forumites have in their collection. Add up the number of bottles currently in your cellar (or cellars if you have wines stored in multiple locations), wine fridges, etc., wherever you store bottles.

wiggum

Re: How many bottles in your collection?

Post by wiggum »

Not sure exactly but in the order of 7 - 800. That’s enough for me as I really only drink wines on weekends and holidays etc

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I used to have 1300 bottles, but I have cut down these last few years. Paying for a wedding and then moving here cost me quite a few. 701 according to cellar tracker, but it’s a bit out of day and 800 is nearer the mark.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Far too many!

Redav

Post by Redav »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Far too many!
I'll help, I have far too few! :lol:

We have about 100

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Come over to Edmonton and help me drink some of them - okay, lots of them. Make sure it's summer over here so that you enjoy more than just the wine.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I'm in the 250-500 bracket and that is now a stable state, with reasonably balanced levels of maturity.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I dance around the 350 - 400+ mark. When I decide to do a cellar stocktake thru CT after a few months of slacking the number jumps around a bit. There's a few 'black ops' purchases that find their way into the cellar which take a while to get recorded. :wink:
Overall I'm trending upwards. I want to get to about 500 bottles and reassess. Vintec is about 90% full whilst the cellar is more like about 50% so plenty of room to accommodate.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

How many?

too many. :(

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

Peaked at 1500 bottles. sold all the unopened cases of Shiraz and Cabernet, now have 200 ish and saving a small fortune on storage.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

felixp21 wrote:How many?

too many. :(
I’m like you, too many. The majority are stored in two large storage cages at Kennards, full to the absolute brim. I will soon be attempting a major cull, but it will be hard. :cry:
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

About 2500. I figure 4 bottles a week x 50 weeks x 10 years you need 2000 bottles. I have had to try hard to stop buying. Storage is full, wine fridge is full and I have spill over of 50 bottles which is just silly

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I was about 2500 at the peak, but TBH many were for investment / resale. Wish I still had some of those, happy I let the majority go. They paid for a car and an international move.

Went from the resultant 400 or so down to the current 289 after a few trips back, my wedding party, and the holiday that accompanied it.

Hoping to put another dent in it later this year, but also keen to start afresh once the current lot have been diminished.

Where I live currently it would be difficult to store more than 120 or so bottles in a wine fridge due to space constraints, which certainly puts things in perspective. Would love to bring my current cellar here, and start the storage process again back in Oz. Just need to find a safe, easy, and cheap way to ship. And buy the fridge...

Barney

Post by Barney »

Was around 1500 but now half that and looking to reduce further, realised I had something like $60 K sitting there and as am paying off two mortgages thought it better to drink it own over a number of years and keep things a bit more modest.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

4000 is my number which many say is too many but I'd like to leave a legacy of my wine collecting passion in an inheritance.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

JamieBahrain wrote:I'd like to leave a legacy of my wine collecting passion in an inheritance.
My kids - aged in the 20s to 30 are all over my collection now. Not in helping themselves but rather me delving in to quite a few bottles of better pedigree wines for almost any family occasion. And isn’t that what collecting wine is for?
Imugene, cure for cancer.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Nice result Hacker, took a little bit of time and palate acclimation but must be so rewarding to see your children now starting to appreciate the depth and quality of your collection.

Either that or Aged Burgundy is Insta-tastic ! :D

Hope we can catch up again soon.

Cheers
Tim

P.S I sit around the 500 mark, going to reduce that a bit this and next year (i.e drink a 20% chunk of it), and meanwhile buy much more sporadically based on current tastes. A smattering of french wines (white burg, condrieu, loire, jura), plus a few regulars like Tyrrell's and Kumeu River, then the occasional 6 pack of off-beat/funky/hipster/orange/jura/latta/lukelambert etc etc

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Tim: Good luck :). I have practically the same goal..but I think I will fail :). I'd be happy just not growing my offsite...I can' t imagine what I'd end up with if I didn't try to buy less....

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

There's no such thing as too much wine.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work