2018 Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Cactus

Re: 2018 Wendouree Mailer

Post by Cactus »

Hi Mahmoud. I have a bunch of Aberfeldy and it does say that on the back or something to that effect. Lately I have thought the 2012 Aberfeldy was way too oaked for my tastes. Wish they dialled it back just a bit.

livcoll

Post by livcoll »

Pretty sure that the 2010 Aberfeldy was the last to have fruit from the Aberfeldy block. Not sure who does but Tim Adams doesn’t have access to the grapes anymore.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Looks like almost everyone here is getting everything they requested. :D

Lots of very high praise and scores for the 2016 Wendouree's over at The Wine Front. You're all in for a real treat when you open your bottles down the track.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Ozzie W wrote:Looks like almost everyone here is getting everything they requested. :D

Lots of very high praise and scores for the 2016 Wendouree's over at The Wine Front. You're all in for a real treat when you open your bottles down the track.
Great scores are...Great!. Helps justify the 4 cases (full allo) I've got on the way. End of the day the proof is in the pudding.
These puddings will be put away for a long while.

2016...the lads year so got a few extras. :wink:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

See one retailer this morning is flogging Wendouree mixed 6 packs for $600. So $330 on the mailer... a nice little earner, nearly 100% mark up :roll: :roll: :roll:
Should be in the pricey wine thread surely??
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

phillisc wrote:See one retailer this morning is flogging Wendouree mixed 6 packs for $600. So $330 on the mailer... a nice little earner, nearly 100% mark up :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Craig
I spotted that too Craig. Thought it was back vintage stuff. Did the ol' double take. :shock:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

Card charged in full for the total amount this morning. That was an anxious wait!

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Wife filled in my order and forgot to put in either a credit card or a delivery address. Fixed a few weeks ago...phoned yesterday to check and it’s still being processed..Red crayon and intermittent buyer over the last 10 years.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Pat

Post by Pat »

No joy yet with my credit card. Hopefully my order is processed soon and I get some of my allocation

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

I spoke to Kirsten on Monday, and it sounds like they are half way through processing currently.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Nothing yet here in WA :?

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

Scotty vino wrote:
phillisc wrote:See one retailer this morning is flogging Wendouree mixed 6 packs for $600. So $330 on the mailer... a nice little earner, nearly 100% mark up :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Craig
I spotted that too Craig. Thought it was back vintage stuff. Did the ol' double take. :shock:
That's a fair increase on last year - think they charged an average of $85 on a mixed pack.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Just had my card hit. Was about 2 weeks late sending it back due to being overseas. Looks like I got everything I asked for. (mixed dozen)

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I received my order last week and chucked the boxes in the cellar. Went down and had a bit of a look at the mixed boxes and noticed my order was incorrect. Firstly thought it was my fault but checked my order and realised it was actually the other way around. Long story short called the winery and 2 replacement bottles being sent out straight away. kept the extras and no postage for the replacements. all good. A tip of the hat to Wendouree for their service and no nonsense response. :wink:

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

This is a bit of an issue. I rarely check, I'm abroad, and full allocations end up in my storage facility each year. Thought I'd have a crack at the 2011's last year and discovered 12 x cab malbecs. Missing shiraz malbecs.
Last edited by JamieBahrain on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Scotty vino wrote:I received my order last week and chucked the boxes in the cellar. Went down and had a bit of a look at the mixed boxes and noticed my order was incorrect. Firstly thought it was my fault but checked my order and realised it was actually the other way around. Long story short called the winery and 2 replacement bottles being sent out straight away. kept the extras and no postage for the replacements. all good. A tip of the hat to Wendouree for their service and no nonsense response. :wink:
Better have a look at the 4 that I received Scotty.
I notice one chap on another forum had 10 6 packs delivered...must love Wendouree :wink:

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ddavew

Post by Ddavew »

I always open all boxes to check just make sure I have the right quantities for record, and twice I found an extra bottle(I did write a little note and ask to fill up the box if a particular wine is not available.)

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

phillisc wrote:
Scotty vino wrote:I received my order last week and chucked the boxes in the cellar. Went down and had a bit of a look at the mixed boxes and noticed my order was incorrect. Firstly thought it was my fault but checked my order and realised it was actually the other way around. Long story short called the winery and 2 replacement bottles being sent out straight away. kept the extras and no postage for the replacements. all good. A tip of the hat to Wendouree for their service and no nonsense response. :wink:
Better have a look at the 4 that I received Scotty.
I notice one chap on another forum had 10 6 packs delivered...must love Wendouree :wink:

Cheers
Craig
same thing happened in the Barossa recently. Tried and bought wine at cellar door. Couple of days later when im loading the Vintec i noticed they'd given me current vintage not the museum release. Called my buddy who had a shared a case with me and he had same issue. Another long story short winery was called and back vintage stuff was sent out no postage plus a discount. :wink: Handled properly and promptly. Artisans of Barossa. :wink:

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

JamieBahrain wrote:This is a bit of an issue. I rarely check, I'm abroad, and full allocations end up in my storage facility each year. Thought I'd have a crack at the 2011's last year and discovered 12 x cab malbecs. Missing shiraz malbecs.
Were there Shiraz Malbecs that year? That was my first year and I don't have any. And there are no reviews on Winefront for Shiraz Malbec 2011. Maybe they substituted the more expensive Cabernet Malbec as a favour.

As an aside, they sent me 3 extra Shiraz Mataros instead of something else I ordered that year. I rant the winery and spoke to Lita, who sent me the right wine AND told me to keep the Shiraz Malbecs for nix. Always grateful for that.

Pat

Post by Pat »

Credit card hit this afternoon, so it looks like I’ve got my requested wines. Great result.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Another hit. Looks like I got everything.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

JamieBahrain wrote:This is a bit of an issue. I rarely check, I'm abroad, and full allocations end up in my storage facility each year. Thought I'd have a crack at the 2011's last year and discovered 12 x cab malbecs. Missing shiraz malbecs.
The Wendouree Cab/Malbec is probably the best wine from South Australia I’ve had from the ‘11 vintage. After recieving everything I ordered this year we decided to open a Wendouree and it was impressive. Probably finished a bit short if I have to find something to be critical about it. We really enjoyed it and the bottle was empty in super quick time.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

grhm1961

Post by grhm1961 »

Everything we ordered arrived today in (as usual) excellent condition. Very happy!

maybs

Post by maybs »

Well worth checking. I ordered, amongst other stuff, 6 Cab Malbec. Was charged for this and receipt said I got this. Delivery was in fact 6 Cab Sav. Called winery, they are doing a swap.

Definitely prefer to have the cab malbec than the cab sav so dodged a bullet there.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

finally got charged mid week. Red stripe Sydney. Got everything. Went for 6 of all.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

livcoll wrote:Pretty sure that the 2010 Aberfeldy was the last to have fruit from the Aberfeldy block. Not sure who does but Tim Adams doesn’t have access to the grapes anymore.
A review by Dave Ellis of the Gold Coast Sun that I found on the Tim Adams website refers to the 2013 Aberfeldy being made from fruit grown on the 1904-planted vineyard. Langton's, in its product description of the '13 Aberfeldy says:

"The intensely perfumed and muscular Aberfeldy Shiraz reflects the character of vineyard site as much as the personality of winemaker Tim Adams. The 1.6 hectare Aberfeldy Vineyard comprises a large proportion of dry grown colonial vine stock planted by Wendouree's Alfred Percy Birks in 1904."

This seems to suggest that the Aberfeldy may still be made from a part of the Birks vineyard.

Mahmoud.

livcoll

Post by livcoll »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
livcoll wrote:Pretty sure that the 2010 Aberfeldy was the last to have fruit from the Aberfeldy block. Not sure who does but Tim Adams doesn’t have access to the grapes anymore.
A review by Dave Ellis of the Gold Coast Sun that I found on the Tim Adams website refers to the 2013 Aberfeldy being made from fruit grown on the 1904-planted vineyard. Langton's, in its product description of the '13 Aberfeldy says:

"The intensely perfumed and muscular Aberfeldy Shiraz reflects the character of vineyard site as much as the personality of winemaker Tim Adams. The 1.6 hectare Aberfeldy Vineyard comprises a large proportion of dry grown colonial vine stock planted by Wendouree's Alfred Percy Birks in 1904."

This seems to suggest that the Aberfeldy may still be made from a part of the Birks vineyard.

Mahmoud.
Howdy,

May be the case but also wouldn’t be the first time that a reviewer hasn’t done their research :wink:

I was told this by an industry source who contactes the winery and had it confirmed. I also asked Pam (Tim’s wife) last time I was at the winery if the 2010 was the last time it was made with fruit from the Aberfeldy vineyard and she confirmed this was the case and it’s made now with their oldest and best fruit from other vineyards.

I can see that they don’t rerefence the vineyard in their own information anymore.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Tried both the Cabernet 2016 and Cabernet Malbec 2016 last night. Pop and pour, very approachable right from the outset, lovely perfume, red fruits and musk on the blend, less so on the straight cab but great purity and restrained use of oak. The Cabernet put me in the mind of a modern Coleraine, a lean yet not unripe profile, quite an effortless confidence about it, also noted minimal eucalypt characters and a good acid line. The Cab Malbec was unsurprisingly a bit fuller, more density and some blueberry influence thanks to the Malbec. I was very impressed with both wines, and they did put on weight and flesh out more as the night went on (kind of wish the Cabernet hadn't actually!). I feel the style has certainly evolved, and in my opinion for the better, the wines are purer, less volatile, more expressive.

Cheers
Tim

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

TiggerK wrote:Tried both the Cabernet 2016 and Cabernet Malbec 2016 last night. Pop and pour, very approachable right from the outset, lovely perfume, red fruits and musk on the blend, less so on the straight cab but great purity and restrained use of oak. The Cabernet put me in the mind of a modern Coleraine, a lean yet not unripe profile, quite an effortless confidence about it, also noted minimal eucalypt characters and a good acid line. The Cab Malbec was unsurprisingly a bit fuller, more density and some blueberry influence thanks to the Malbec. I was very impressed with both wines, and they did put on weight and flesh out more as the night went on (kind of wish the Cabernet hadn't actually!). I feel the style has certainly evolved, and in my opinion for the better, the wines are purer, less volatile, more expressive.

Cheers
Tim
Great note!
What about that tannin structure?

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Scotty vino wrote:
TiggerK wrote:Tried both the Cabernet 2016 and Cabernet Malbec 2016 last night. Pop and pour, very approachable right from the outset, lovely perfume, red fruits and musk on the blend, less so on the straight cab but great purity and restrained use of oak. The Cabernet put me in the mind of a modern Coleraine, a lean yet not unripe profile, quite an effortless confidence about it, also noted minimal eucalypt characters and a good acid line. The Cab Malbec was unsurprisingly a bit fuller, more density and some blueberry influence thanks to the Malbec. I was very impressed with both wines, and they did put on weight and flesh out more as the night went on (kind of wish the Cabernet hadn't actually!). I feel the style has certainly evolved, and in my opinion for the better, the wines are purer, less volatile, more expressive.

Cheers
Tim
Great note!
What about that tannin structure?
Thanks Scotty, for me the tannins were more obvious on the Cab Malbec, quite furry (barrel?) tannins. The Cab had a finer tannin feel, more settled into the wine even at this early stage. They're definitely there, but just part of a nicely complete structural package.