BYO restaurants in Sydney

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
michel

Re: BYO restaurants in Sydney

Post by michel »

rooman wrote:
michel wrote:
rooman wrote:Had lunch yesterday at Bar Reggio in East Sydney. It has to be one of the most popular and cheapest BYOs in town on Friday with excellent food. Its an Old School Sydney venue with great pizzas and a blackboard full of superb food. My lunch companion pointed out we weren't the only people with decent bottles of wine taking advantage of the venue. The next table had a string of high profile billionaires and millionaires including Kerry Stokes and a few other guys enjoying a solid range of well cellared wine. One bottle was probably worth the same as the total food bill.. :lol:

Any wines look interesting?
Funny enough I was back here again today. I seem to be eating here at least once a month at present. In terms of what Kerry and his mates were drinking, there was some old St Henri which judging by the label was from the 90s or earlier. The rest I can't recall,
Ta
I love checking out other peoples wine
International Chambertin Day 16th May

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

TiggerK wrote:
deejay81 wrote:Too lazy to go through the post again to see if someone has mentioned it, BUT,
The Devonshire in Surry Hills is closing at the end of the year (23rd I think).
[url]http://www.thedevonshire.com.au/[/url]

One of my fave places for a great dego + BYO wine ($10 pb)
8 course Dego $95

I'm having dinner there tonight after hearing of the pending closure...
That's a pity, been there4 a number of times, although (and perhaps tellingly) not recently. Please let us know how the food and service are?? Might try and squeeze in a dinner there before they go if there's any availability.....
Food was average, it was much better last time I went (last year) but service was good. Wine service was good, glasses were good.
Dessert was nicer than the meals but still $95 for an 8 course dego with $10pb corkage, i'd still recommend. I usually take a couple of bottles (Champagne and red), but wasn't up for a big one so just took a 98 Sassicaia. Wine was delicious, absolutely singing.
instagram.com/wine_pug

michel

Post by michel »

deejay81 wrote:
TiggerK wrote:
deejay81 wrote:Too lazy to go through the post again to see if someone has mentioned it, BUT,
The Devonshire in Surry Hills is closing at the end of the year (23rd I think).
[url]http://www.thedevonshire.com.au/[/url]

One of my fave places for a great dego + BYO wine ($10 pb)
8 course Dego $95

I'm having dinner there tonight after hearing of the pending closure...
That's a pity, been there4 a number of times, although (and perhaps tellingly) not recently. Please let us know how the food and service are?? Might try and squeeze in a dinner there before they go if there's any availability.....
Food was average, it was much better last time I went (last year) but service was good. Wine service was good, glasses were good.
Dessert was nicer than the meals but still $95 for an 8 course dego with $10pb corkage, i'd still recommend. I usually take a couple of bottles (Champagne and red), but wasn't up for a big one so just took a 98 Sassicaia. Wine was delicious, absolutely singing.
Love that 98
Had it in NZ two years ago
International Chambertin Day 16th May

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

deejay81 wrote: wasn't up for a big one so just took a 98 Sassicaia.
I can't imagine what you drink when its a big one if your quiet casual dinner drinking is Sassicaia! :lol:
------------------------------------
Sam

maybs

Post by maybs »

Went to St Claude's in paddington (Oxford st) last week. Corkage $20pb but still not bad considering restaurant mark ups.

Nice room, good service. Entrees were ok without being great (steak tartare, cheese soufflé). Mains were very good (salmon with crab salad, confit duck). The confit duck in particular was excellent.

Nice to find solid bistro food with good service and BYO. Most people seemed to taking advantage of the BYO though they have a short fun list that isn't outrageously priced.

Will go back.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

sjw_11 wrote:
deejay81 wrote: wasn't up for a big one so just took a 98 Sassicaia.
I can't imagine what you drink when its a big one if your quiet casual dinner drinking is Sassicaia! :lol:
Latache :D

rooman

Post by rooman »

Has anyone got any decent recommendations for the lower North Shore (say St Leonards) at lunch hopefully near a train station. My preference would be French or Italian and not too noisy as its a work lunch.

conformistpete

Post by conformistpete »

mjs wrote:Jeez, I thought $20pb at Matteo's in Melb was expensive, $30pb is exorbitant
Scopri has increased to $20 pb also.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

rooman wrote:Has anyone got any decent recommendations for the lower North Shore (say St Leonards) at lunch hopefully near a train station. My preference would be French or Italian and not too noisy as its a work lunch.
Suzie's Restaurant @ Lane Cove

I've been a few times and generally pretty good but I recommend bringing your own glasses...
They do BYO, but call to confirm what day's....

[url]http://www.suziesrestaurant.com.au/[/url]

*EDIT not near a train station though
instagram.com/wine_pug

rooman

Post by rooman »

deejay81 wrote:
rooman wrote:Has anyone got any decent recommendations for the lower North Shore (say St Leonards) at lunch hopefully near a train station. My preference would be French or Italian and not too noisy as its a work lunch.
Suzie's Restaurant @ Lane Cove

I've been a few times and generally pretty good but I recommend bringing your own glasses...
They do BYO, but call to confirm what day's....

[url]http://www.suziesrestaurant.com.au/[/url]

*EDIT not near a train station though
many thanks. unfortunately the lack of a train station is a problem.