Melbourne restaurants

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
maybs

Melbourne restaurants

Post by maybs »

Hey all

Going to be in Melbourne for a few nights shortly and looking for dinner recommendations. Preferably not super fine dining but anything from excellent casual to upper end but not pretentious would be appreciated. Hoping to try some new places so maybe not Supernormal, Cutler and Co, Grossi Florentini...probably some others I've been to in the last 12-18 months I can't remember.

BYO a positive but not crucial. Also any cool bar recommendations or breakfast spots other than cumulus inc and hardware societe appreciated

Cheers
Scott
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Red Smurf

Re: Melbourne restaurants

Post by Red Smurf »

Def go to Town Mouse. Cool wine bar vibe. Mich and I loved it and I think it's in your wheel house. Recommended here by Paulf + Via C.
Dennis the menace for Breaky.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Scopri ticks all the boxes and is also BYO. Very easy to get to on public transport as well (#96 tram stops literally outside).

191 Nicholson St, Carlton

via collins

Post by via collins »

yeah, absolutely back up Ozzie on that one - Scopri is exceptional italian, and they know hospitality back to front.

yeah, Town Mouse pretty unmissable as well.

I've also had two raves from friends of late about a Japanese in Flinders Ln called Kappo - haven't had tme to get there yet, but really looking forward to it - bespoke menu based on available fresh ingredients.

And on the BYO front, had a couple of meals at Matteo's in Fitzroy this year, and they've been great.

You'll not go hungry in Melbourne, that's for sure!

mjs

Post by mjs »

Ozzie W wrote:Scopri ticks all the boxes and is also BYO. Very easy to get to on public transport as well (#96 tram stops literally outside).

191 Nicholson St, Carlton

+1 for me with Scopri
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

We're off to Chez Olivier in Prahran today so I'll let you know what we think of it !
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

maybs

Post by maybs »

Ah was excited for Scopri then just looked at their website...shut Sunday and Monday which are the two nights I will be in town (which I know can be tough for dining out)

maybs

Post by maybs »

Town Mouse sounds good. I'm going with someone who isn't into super contemporary food or fine dining, so Italian or Bistro style would be perfect. Looking at maybe Tipo OO or European. Still, any other suggestions definitely welcome

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Bergerac is good for French bistro style. It's also BYO.

555 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

maybs wrote:Looking at maybe Tipo OO or European.

Have great memories of The European, it's been many years since, but their Chateaubriand was phenomenal and we loved the old school wood panel vibe. Hope it hasn't changed much!!

via collins

Post by via collins »

Emilia in CBD is very authentic Italian osteria style.not specific to Emilia Romagna either :).
Can't recall if BYO was an issue, but pretty sure it's not, but list was good from memory.

via collins

Post by via collins »

Gerald's is a good dining choice on same street. Always 8 or 10 wines open, never know what you'll get. Food rock solid too.
Last edited by via collins on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjs

Post by mjs »

maybs wrote:Town Mouse sounds good. I'm going with someone who isn't into super contemporary food or fine dining, so Italian or Bistro style would be perfect. Looking at maybe Tipo OO or European. Still, any other suggestions definitely welcome

Had a great meal at Tipo 00 a few months ago, was able to byo which was good (with corkage)

Pretty sure that Matteos is open on Mondays, great food and they respect byo wines
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

paulf

Post by paulf »

Here are a few that I have been to in recent months...
It might be a little far out, but Camus in Northcote (take the 86 Tram or near Westgarth train station) was good and interesting, with a small but smart wine list. The chef/owner is Algerian and the food reflects this. He used to run the well regarded restaurant at the Flinders Hotel on the Mornington Peninsula.
I also was at Bar Liberty in Johnston st Fitzroy for a function for part of Good beer week on Saturday and the food was great (as was the beer and natural wines they served for the event). It will be a really smart list, as one of the partners was Somm at Attica.
Pastuso in AC/DC lane, off Flinders was good. The Food is Peruvian. The wine list had a strong South American influence. Same owners as San Telmo which is Argentinian and also worth a look.
Mesa Verde at the top of Curtin House is good, but it is Mexican and I have always wanted to drink beer there so I can't remember whether the wine list was any good or not.
Finally, for something really different Konjo cafe for Ethiopian (Smith Street, between Gertrude and Victoria) is fun and you have to BYO. (Don't expect fantastic stems though) The food does have a bit of spice to it.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Ended up at Matteo's on Sunday night. Food and service were first rate and BYO for $20 corkage at a venue of that caliber is fine by me.

Went to French Saloon Monday. Food and service again first rate, good wine list and mark ups not completely outrageous on most stuff, but some more modestly priced options would be good.

Would happily return to either.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Out of interest has anyone been to Embla recently?