Elvis is in the building

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Grant Dodd

Elvis is in the building

Post by Grant Dodd »

A welcome to new member Elvis, recently addicted wine groupie and member of the obscure sub culture known as caddies.

A professional caddy,no less! The way you immediately recognise a person as a caddy is by the fact that none of them have real names. You are not a real caddy ( Steve Williams notwithstanding) unless you have a moniker. One of my old caddies I only knew as "Lumpy"; then there was Ant Man, Shags, Sponge, Disco, Tortoise, Oracle and my favourite on the European Tour, "Man in a Pub". The list goes on. They may be great at giving out nicknames to their peers,but even more creative when it comes to players.
One player became known as "Bombscare".

Why?

Because every time he entered a room he cleared it.

Welcome, Elvis. No "mystery's" in here!!

Cheers

Gavin Trott

Re: Elvis is in the building

Post by Gavin Trott »

Grant Dodd wrote:A welcome to new member Elvis, recently addicted wine groupie and member of the obscure sub culture known as caddies.

A professional caddy,no less! The way you immediately recognise a person as a caddy is by the fact that none of them have real names. You are not a real caddy ( Steve Williams notwithstanding) unless you have a moniker. One of my old caddies I only knew as "Lumpy"; then there was Ant Man, Shags, Sponge, Disco, Tortoise, Oracle and my favourite on the European Tour, "Man in a Pub". The list goes on. They may be great at giving out nicknames to their peers,but even more creative when it comes to players.
One player became known as "Bombscare".

Why?

Because every time he entered a room he cleared it.

Welcome, Elvis. No "mystery's" in here!!

Cheers

Welcome 'caddy'.

I once had a customer who caddied the US seniors tour for Stuart Ginn.

Used to phone me to order while standing watching Stuart put during tournaments!
regards

Gavin Trott

Grant Dodd

Post by Grant Dodd »

Gav,

What is the world coming to when caddy's are becoming wine connoissuers...connoisers......connoisars.... , oh well, wine nerds then! :lol: :D

It's a noble profession these days. Tigers caddy, Steve Williams was estimated to have made $800 000 US last year. In NZ, they wanted to claim him as one of their highest paid "sportsmen" !

Cheers