Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ozzie W

Re: Wendouree Mailer

Post by Ozzie W »

WAwineguy wrote:Still nothing :(

But hey, I'm a first timer so need to wait in line I guess!

I'm a first timer too. Nothing for me yet either.

ufo

Post by ufo »

Nobody received anything yet. Geeee I'm starting feel extremely privileged 8)

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I received an allocation last Monday in ADL.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

ufo wrote:Nobody received anything yet. Geeee I'm starting feel extremely privileged 8)

Arnie, you're not the only rooster in the henhouse, mine arrived yesterday :)
That should mean Adair's may have arrived, and GW might publish a review soon on TWF.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Kohentyler

Post by Kohentyler »

Hey All - new to the forum

Had my card charged today for what I requested

Have only tried aged Wendouree's - is it worth trying a bottle of the new vintage or just put it away?

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Well, the last 4 or so vintages have been really approachable...really curious to see if the 13s will return back to "normal"...

I'm sure we will find out soon as expecting GW to cover them soon..

swirler

Post by swirler »

Polymer wrote:Well, the last 4 or so vintages have been really approachable...really curious to see if the 13s will return back to "normal"...

That's the rumour, forgotten where it came from.....

Polymer wrote: I'm sure we will find out soon as expecting GW to cover them soon..

Well, the straight shiraz is for 'drongoes' (probably a miss-quote :oops: ) My money is on a bigger score for the sh mb or ca mb......

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Kohentyler wrote:Hey All - new to the forum

Had my card charged today for what I requested

Have only tried aged Wendouree's - is it worth trying a bottle of the new vintage or just put it away?

Welcome to the forum!

I think it is fun to map out the evolution of a wine if you have enough bottles that can be sacrificed along the way and you are motivated to learn. So, yes, and report back to us what you thought. Which one were you thinking of?

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

swirler wrote:
Polymer wrote:Well, the last 4 or so vintages have been really approachable...really curious to see if the 13s will return back to "normal"...

That's the rumour, forgotten where it came from.....

Polymer wrote: I'm sure we will find out soon as expecting GW to cover them soon..

Well, the straight shiraz is for 'drongoes' (probably a miss-quote :oops: ) My money is on a bigger score for the sh mb or ca mb......

Don't really care what the score is but more interested in what he says about the wine style wise...Mixed feelings about seeing it in the old style..on one hand, that is how it should be and I don't know what these more open ones will do..but on the other...how long will it take the older style to age under screwcap? Do I really want to wait that long?

I'd bet money the Cab Malbec will get a better score from GW...

swirler

Post by swirler »

Couldn't give a Monkey's about his score. Just making a prediction (often a bad idea!)

Kohentyler

Post by Kohentyler »

Hacker, was thinking of the Shiraz Mataro as have some of the 11 vintage stashed of these which I haven't tried yet...

Have been told a number of time the blends are the pick...

maybe a 11 v 13 Shiraz Mataro I think..

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Cracked my first Wendouree last night. I figured if I'm going to keep ordering, I at least should taste them all and get a feel for the wine. It was not at all what I was expecting. Everything I had read about led me to believe these were huge wines that required years to come together. I was quite surprised when I opened the Cab Malbec 2012. I slow ox'ed for a few hours but still took a bit of time to open up thoroughly once poured. It's a beautiful colour and found the wine to be quite soft and approachable. Juicy mouth feel leaving a nice length. I suspect this will age nicely over the years. I will sacrifice 1 of all the 2012's to compare. I still have not had my credit card charged for this years order. Red crayon.
Wendouree Cab Mal 2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

The more recent vintages are pretty atypical of Wendouree...although that might end up being typical going forward if they're all like that....A lot more approachable....but less Wendouree like....Softer acid, softer tannins..a bit more fruit...For 2012 I thought the Cab Malbec and Shiraz Mataro were somewhat Wendouree like...the Shiraz, Shiraz Malbec, straight Cab and Malbec...less so...

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Polymer wrote:The more recent vintages are pretty atypical of Wendouree...although that might end up being typical going forward if they're all like that....A lot more approachable....but less Wendouree like....Softer acid, softer tannins..a bit more fruit...For 2012 I thought the Cab Malbec and Shiraz Mataro were somewhat Wendouree like...the Shiraz, Shiraz Malbec, straight Cab and Malbec...less so...

I'm looking forward to tasting the rest of the 2012's. I'll be interesting to read some tasting notes on the 13's soon.

Cheers
Cheers
Peter Houghton

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Credit card has been debited for the full allocation requested - managed to get a little bit of everything! :shock:

calm

Post by calm »

mmmm nothing for me yet, card not debited, worry beads starting to appear.....
Craig S

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

calm wrote:mmmm nothing for me yet, card not debited, worry beads starting to appear.....

Hey Calm, live up to your name and stay calm. :) I wasn't debited till mid August last year and got my full allocation. They work at a slow deliberate and detirmined pace at Wendouree.

calm

Post by calm »

Hacker wrote:
calm wrote:mmmm nothing for me yet, card not debited, worry beads starting to appear.....

Hey Calm, live up to your name and stay calm. :) I wasn't debited till mid August last year and got my full allocation. They work at a slow deliberate and detirmined pace at Wendouree.

ha ha, will do Hacker.
Craig S

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

CC just been charged & I got my fill of an even spread of the wines. Orange line & based in Sydney.

mse

Post by mse »

Some retailers are already pitching the $55 reds - Shiraz, Cab, Cab/Mal for $120, $110 and $100 (wonder if that points out Cab/Mal is lesser than straight Cab?). The $45 reds - Shiraz blends and straight Malbec for $85. Seems like 2013 is a bumper crop year for Wendouree. :mrgreen:

I am thinking about getting some Shiraz, Cab/Mal and straight Mal from retailers, as my chance of getting non-Shiraz blends wines from mail order are slim.... -.-a
Last edited by mse on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Mse - The Shiraz and straight Cab always sell for the most. If you look at the secondary market, the Shiraz sells for the most..follow by the Cabernet...the rest all sell for about the same...

I personally think the Cab Malbec is the best...but a great straight shiraz is up there as well...

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

FWIW, I see Gary Walsh is on a halliday-like point frenzy going gaga over the Wendouree Cab, Cab Malbec and Malbec.... rates the Cab Malbec highest of the three.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Sounds like it is back to the older style...which I'm happy to see....

mse

Post by mse »

TiggerK wrote:FWIW, I see Gary Walsh is on a halliday-like point frenzy going gaga over the Wendouree Cab, Cab Malbec and Malbec.... rates the Cab Malbec highest of the three.

Oh no! I only ordered 5 of Cab/Mal from the order. I shouldn't have substitute that Muscat of Alexandria for Cab/Mal :(

My C/C been charged for full amount today (5 x Cab/Mal, 1 x Muscat, 6 x other reds) :|

Oh well, I guess I will have to settle with only 5 x Cab/Mal. Lucky for 2nd year customer. God bless the Brady's. :mrgreen:

swirler

Post by swirler »

TiggerK wrote:FWIW, I see Gary Walsh is on a halliday-like point frenzy going gaga over the Wendouree Cab, Cab Malbec and Malbec.... rates the Cab Malbec highest of the three.

:shock: Malbec. Well I never.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

It is not a typical Malbec...I think Wendouree's style goes quite nicely with it...

swirler

Post by swirler »

And just as predictably, Halliday gives top scores to the Straight cab and shiraz.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Waiting patiently for credit card to be charged :|

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Ozzie W wrote:Waiting patiently for credit card to be charged :|

Waiting impatiently for credit card to be charged!

At least I’m not alone.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

CC charged last week
6 shiraz and a mix (6) of cab, cab blends all arrived yesterday.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day