Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by sjw_11 »

Jim Barry "Lodge Hill" Shiraz 2009... Classic Clare shiraz. Very youthful still. Medium red hue. Intense nose of cedar, plum, and crushed red berries. Quite structured but still with a rich depth of fruit. Good value.
------------------------------------
Sam

rooman

Post by rooman »

Hacker wrote:
rooman wrote:
kaos wrote:Opened a 1999 Voyager Cab merlot last night (with roast goat). Beautiful wine, lots of black and red currants. Will finish tonight.

I have got a bit of this tucked away and have tried the odd bottle from time to time or year to year. What amazes me about this wine is how slowly it is developing. I sometimes wonder if it is because I store the wine at Kennards which has an average temp of approx 14C all year around. Whatever the reason, I reckon it won't really hit its drinking window for another 5 years min and will probably last a decade or more once it gets there. I am finding their evolution similar to the 98 John Riddochs; amazingly slow. On reflection they were amazing value for their price at the time of release being just under $30.

Do you think the 2001's will be/are as good as the 1999's?

Just opened a 2012 Woods Crampton shiraz. delicious easy drinking with a BBQ on a wet Sydney evening.

I've got a case of these and they seem to tracking along very nicely. If anything the tannins are slightly softer and more approachable. Like the 98s & 99s, I am doing my best to avoid drinking the 01 just yet especially when some other cab savs are so much more approachable ie the Wynns BL 98 and 01 etc.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Now there's a co incidence, just drank a '98 Wynns BL tonight. Very approachable, but no wow wine. Nothing like '90 or '91 were/perhaps still are.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

2012 wynns coonawarra shiraz.
Cool climate style shiraz with fine tannins. Seems quite boldy structured at this early stage.
Might let it deconstruct and reform.
I'm gonna age a handful and see what happens.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

Tried the 2012 Mojo Coonawarra Cab Sav last night. Really liked it. Nice colour with fine tannins. Perfect oak. Took a bit to open up in the glass but ended up finishing the bottle over the night. An absolute bargain price for this quality.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

The fish

Post by The fish »

It's been an interesting week with a couple of notables.

Marius End Play 2008: believe the hype! This was really, really good with plenty of gas left in the tank. If you got your hands on the 12's you are very lucky indeed.

Alex head Red Shiraz 2013: kind of finding my palate isn't loving the barossa so much anymore but this was still pretty tasty. Better on night 2 and a bargain at $10 a bottle.

Had some overdue deliveries land today - the Germans are here. The next few weeks should be really, really good in the wine spectrum.

Cheers
Matt

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Gomersal Reserve 2010 delicious Shiraz tonight. Full bodied sweet and oh so tempting.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

This thread could go on for 100 or more pages! The equivalent thread on Wine Berserkers is up to page 139! Drink on!

Matt

Post by Matt »

I like this style of thread. Beats the weekly IMO. And the Gomersal is a ripper!

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

2001 Tyrrell's Stevens Semillon
Probably aged beyond it's best to be honest, but structurally this is just fine. Quite mature dry straw and lanolin aromas, and honeysuckle.
The palate is still good; rounded out texturally, but still has some length. Whilst a touch madeirised, this went perfectly well with fresh oysters and lemon juice :)
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Friday night wine. Tollana 2004 Riesling. Holding its age very well. D'aremberg 2001 High Trellis cabernet. Horrible corked
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Poggio Anima Uriel Grillo 2012 - a quite smart Italian white. Oh and smashing through some Vale Ale Dark Lagers. Too easy!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

calm

Post by calm »

Abbots and Delaunay Corbieres Reserve 2011- 35 mins in the decanter, wow, great wine, real air of quality and sophistication about this one, new leather, a haze of blueberry, cedar. Had this and the Roussillion now, both make for very good drinking and much better than usually expected for $20 something.
Craig S

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

2012 Yabby Lake Block 1 Pinot - wow, can see why this won the 2013 Jimmy Watson, very easy drinking wine, was not at all out of place pared with my sirloin tonight. Wonderful bouquet and all the good things associated with a pinot.
2003 Torbreck Les Amis Grenache - my mate's contribution for the night, way toooo sweet, dont know how torbreck can justify the price for this, tastes like sweeten grape juice. Didnt hold a candle to the block 1

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

TravisW wrote:Collector, Folded Blue, Pyrenees Shiraz 2012.

Cracked and poured. Spicy bluey goodness. I know I've banged on about Alex McKay and his winemaking in the past, and he is a mate, but tasting one-offs like this reminds you why he was a Gourmet Traveller Winemaker of the Year finalist. Pretty tight at the moment, but I'm sure tomorrow night it will be opening up in all of its yumminess.

Drank the last third of this last night and it was in fine, loose form. A good future ahead me thinks. Time to buy and bury a few bottles.

Cheers, Travis.

michel

Post by michel »

VINH NGUYEN wrote:2012 Yabby Lake Block 1 Pinot - wow, can see why this won the 2013 Jimmy Watson, very easy drinking wine, was not at all out of place pared with my sirloin tonight. Wonderful bouquet and all the good things associated with a pinot.

yeah I had this with trepidation- but- it was big in a good way
only had one
wish I had a case :roll:
International Chambertin Day 16th May

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

michel wrote:wish I had a case :roll:

Touche

conformistpete

Post by conformistpete »

Eldridge estate Fume Blanc 2012
Still fresh a bit grassy and some of that oak work coming thru. Should go well with tonight's herb crusted salmon.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2012 Delamere Chardonnay tonight

This afternoon had glasses of 2012 Apsley Gorge and Tolpuddle Chardonnay.

Boyeah

Post by Boyeah »

Martell XO Supreme Cognac, Marvellous drop, 20 odd years sitting in the dark corner.
Cheers
Boyeah
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2010 Rolf Binder Reserve Shiraz - a Barossa beauty the fits my palate like a glove. Beautifully balanced, great fruit and mouthfeel.

2012 Jacobs Creek Double Barrelled Cabernet Sauvignon (Coonawarra) - final aging in old whisky barrels and will polarize its tasters. I found it a bit over the top and a combination of whisky and wine doesn't go down well on my palate even if I love them separately.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

maybs

Post by maybs »

2006 Vat 1. Opened it and had one glass last night then moved to a red. Opened up beautifully over night. Very enjoyable.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2002 Schubert Goose Block Shiraz. Wow wine. Last of a six pack and by far the best. I think 12 years age has worked wonders for this wine. Previously wasn't enamoured about the marque but rethinking now.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

1998 Calon Segur & Hirtzberger Singerriedel Riesling Smaragd 2013. 2013 Wachau is glorious!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

2005 Murray Street Vineyards "The Barossa" Grenache Shiraz Mataro Cinsault. Barossa Valley. Drinking very well now but will improve even further I think. Lovely nose of darker fruits and some spicy notes, then the palate follows through with the same and even a little savoury earthy flavours. It had good length and even the colour showed a bit of youthfulness. To my taste it wasn't the typical Barossa GSM, but I really enjoyed this all the same. It was more McLaren Vale to me than Barossa. Best bottle of the 6 pack I originally bought. Last one unfortunately. 4/5

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Stavros

Post by Stavros »

ticklenow1 wrote:2005 Murray Street Vineyards "The Barossa" Grenache Shiraz Mataro Cinsault. Barossa Valley. Drinking very well now but will improve even further I think. Lovely nose of darker fruits and some spicy notes, then the palate follows through with the same and even a little savoury earthy flavours. It had good length and even the colour showed a bit of youthfulness. To my taste it wasn't the typical Barossa GSM, but I really enjoyed this all the same. It was more McLaren Vale to me than Barossa. Best bottle of the 6 pack I originally bought. Last one unfortunately. 4/5

Cheers
Ian

Sterling Auctions in Perth have a couple of 6 packs of this going at the next auction or buy it now for $17 (plus frieght i guess).

S

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

2006 The Story Grampians Shiraz
Dark cherry, black berry, licorice and black olives. Really good wine with many years left.

vovo

Post by vovo »

2013 Ruggabellus Fluus, with pizza, first night in the new house. No power and no furniture, the Fluus was delicious.

Peter Schlesinger

Post by Peter Schlesinger »

2005 Marius Symposium. Bliss. If you have any, be very happy. But no need to rush. This isn't going away any time soon.

The fish

Post by The fish »

Ziliken Rausch Kabinett 2011: ethereal - all lightness and goodness. Well balanced and built for the long haul. One of the Kabinetts of the vintage methinks.

Cheers
Matt