Weekly Drinking Report Thread as at 16/12/13

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Luke W

Weekly Drinking Report Thread as at 16/12/13

Post by Luke W »

A couple of R Wines (possibly named after Chris Ringland who was the winemaker). Unfortuneately the company went belly up in 2010 which makes it possible for plebs like me to be able to afford the wines.
2009 Evil Incarnate Cabernet Shiraz (Coonawarra/Padthaway 14.2%) - very pleasant , a bit linear but improved with time in decanter - possibly good value at around $15 a bottle and a bargain for $9.
2008 F U Shiraz ( Barossa 15%) - a top line Shiraz in the Parker style (he has given a past example maximum points I read on a website and easy to see why) - quality oak, impeccable fruit and handling - just got better and better as the night wore on. The nose alone was worth the $50 that it cost. Makes it possible to see the talent that Chris Ringland obviously has.
Had the last of my 2001 Virgin Hills (red blend) last nite - lovely developed and complex wine drinking at the end of its window.
Last edited by Luke W on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

The fish

Re: Weekly Drinking Report Thread as at 16/12/13

Post by The fish »

Jim Barry 'The Lodge Hill' Riesling 2011: opened with slight whiff of kero on the nose then sour apples. The palate was dominated by bruised or brown apples. There's some acidity but it's very broad and the wine seems undefined on the tongue. Not a particularly pleasant drink. If I'd started with this as my first foray into the world of riesling I suspect that I wouldn't have ventured much further.

I wonder about the impact of 2012 and 2013 rieslings on the development of my palate - have I become intolerant of lesser vintages? :)

Cheers
The fish

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

2011 Kaesler Stonehorse GSM Bought as a cheap cheap dozen - no way would pay the asking price and it confirmed my expectation with opening one last night. Got pepper? And more white pepper? That opaque you can see through it, it is just a true reflection of the vintage. For the price I paid it is a fair drink more atypical of cooler climate shiraz and in the French Cotes Du Rhone mould - certainly not joosy Oz GSM

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Aloha.

Currently holidaying in Hawaii and after after draining the allowable number of bottles brought from the cellar I decided to drink what JH drinks on holiday - beer. And there's some seriously good Pale Ales available. One, Fire Rock is excellent as others. Did find a nice Argentinian Malbec that was nice albeit a tad sweet and designed for the US market. Layer Cake 2012. There's also a 2012 SA Shiraz available under the same label so it looks like they are wholesalers buying in bulk and bottling.

Watched Mick Fanning win the world surfing title on an epic day at Pipeline. 9-13 foot waves with some 18 footers breaking on 3rd reef. Saw 2nd reef break in 2011 but have never seen 3rd before. Apparently it was even bigger the previos night. :shock: Truely awesome day with Mick camped for the day just 10m from us on the beach.

Also found my Nirvana. Unfortunately it was closed. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Milan

Post by Milan »

Well, you'll either laugh, shake your head or do both with what I am about to write...

My partner's brother has his 30th Birthday tonight at a nice BYO restaurant. As a birthday gift I decided to get a bottle of 2003 Dom Perignon and 2006 Penfolds Bin 389.

The family are not wine drinkers, however this did not stop me! In my naive way of thinking at the time I figured he would recognise the Champagne since he is into rappers etc. I assume haha. I was wrong.

Anyway...it was interesting hearing their thoughts on the wines...I did not tell them the price of either wine at all.

On the 03 Dom...

"This tastes harder than some spirits I have"
"Not my thing"
"It's okay"

On the 06 389

"Not bad" was about it.

Interestingly, in the past when I have actrually revealed the price, suddenly they go, "OH! Really?" and they take a second look at it and take it more seriously...this time I didn't.

They were quite right on the 03 Dom...not the greatest I have had. For the same money Krug MV goes down much nicer....

As for the 06 389...typical Barossa, I enjoyed it and pontificated in my own mind about it.

I believe there is much more enjoyment and dissection to be had with these type of wines when fellow sadistic nerds are around.

sejanus

Post by sejanus »

03 Dom is ok? lol. I've had better but I still thought it was as brilliant drip :)

Thats why when the wife and I crack open a expensive bottle we will only do it with people who know the stuff, we decided to do this after blowing a $130 bottle of RWT on a family member who I doubt could tell the difference between it and a $7 bottle.

Anyway the stuff we drank this week ;

- chris ringland 2010 shiraz from barossa - disappointing. I know it was only $20 but it just did nothing for either of us. It smelt nice, but just didn't have much substance.

- Penfolds bin 28 2010 - this is our affordable go to drop. just lovely. We have a stack of them. We will age a few and drink most :) Dark, rich, medium to full body, beautiful lingering after taste.

- Henschke Mt Edelstone 2010 - absolutely brilliant, bought another bottle to age :) $99 at costco at Casula in NSW! They are $140 odd from henschke.