Rockford time of year again.......

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

Re: Rockford time of year again.......

Post by Adair »

Billy Bolonski wrote:1. But there are so many 'unique' wines out there. I couldn't possibly hope to buy and drink all of them.

2. I've had all those wines, I've enjoyed them. None are irreplaceable in my cellar. In fact big SA reds are a shrinking minority.

3. Oh and don't get me started on the Rockford Sparkling Black corks.................... :evil:

1. Agreed
2. Same... but Wendouree is not a big SA red
3. Understand
Wine is bottled poetry.

gpk

Post by gpk »

phillisc wrote:
Rockford is a very different beast, it caters for the long term mailer order customer and the casual drop in visitor. Its annual production according to JH is 10+ times that of Wendouree and Noon combined, so their customer service may be a little indifferent. I have never encountered such problems and have always been looked after. I note the forums coments on 08 BP being a wine that has polarised opinion. I remember the 2000 being similar, but has turned into a very good wine.

Lke others when I visit Rockford this year i will buy my allocation of BP plus the rieslings and semillon. I am interested to see Ben Radfords influence on the wines. I think BP is a safe bet even in trying vintage conditions and note that $53 is pricey, but funny how many will buy the top end of town shiraz in poor vintages for 10 times the money. Guess they can always be flogged at auction.

Cheers
Phillisc

Phillisc, I agree with your comments on the BP, while I was not impressed with the 08, I bought it on faith, from past experience with lesser vintages/testing’s that have also not impressed but have have turned out to be very good. I admit I am a fan of Rockford and have been buying from them for many years, having been introduced to their wines in the late 80's, but still consider them good value, even the BP compared to others. I think the wines prove themselves after time in the cellar compared to others at the same price point that disappoint.

cheers Gerry

Adair

Post by Adair »

Adair wrote:2008 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - 14.5% - Nothing special here. My comments from last night stand... shows both masterful and poorly judged winemaking with excellent tannin control and palate length, but disjoined acid, combined with fruit from a very difficult vintage showing over-ripeness and slight diluteness. I liked the 2000 better so far. Simply can't recommend purchasing at $53. 90/100.

2010 Rockford Alicante Bouchet - 10% - I haven't had a bottle for a few years and I really should drink this wine with friends more. Ripe cherries but nothing cheap or overly sweet. In fact it is juicy and finishes dry. Really lovely. Bargain at $18, especially in this country's climate. 91/100.

2009 Rockford Frugal Farmer - 12.5% - my first bottle of this wine. Like the Alicante Bouchet, it is made to be an absolute quaffer but it is done so well that wine tragics like myself can enjoy it. Smooth and very juicy with hardly any noticeable tannin or acid but still remarkably controlled. Light/medium body but with depth. Sweet red and blue fruits on a harmonious framework of savoury goodness. Another bargain at $19.50. 92/100.

Next wine from this year's release...

2008 Rockford Rifle Range Cabernet Sauvignon - 14.5% - Even greater tannin precision here than in the Basket Press. Tannins are powerful, textured and defined, providing excellent line, length and breadth on the back palate, and contrast superbly the generous, smooth and cushion-like mouth-feel. Base of ripe red berries with rich blue fruit nuances on a savoury framework with excellent depth, but there is also a sweet and sour aspect to the fruit as well as a slightly unripe green herbal aspect. Good wine but not great in the revered Rockford context. $36. 91/100.

Whites and non-2008 reds to go!
Wine is bottled poetry.

Adair

Post by Adair »

2008 Rockford Eden Valley Riesling - 11.5% - this is a lovely Riesling for those who enjoy obvious mineral aspects and less obvious fruit aspects in their Riesling. It embodied why I prefer good Eden over Clare! Charming balance of grapefuit, lemon, perfume/florals, bath salts and tonic/mineral water. Focused, refined, mineral and gently spitzy acidity builds the weight of these flavours through the palate to create a rounded, smooth, juicy, textured middle and a refreshing, clean and lingering finish. Not greatly intense, but beautful, harmonious and classy. Will age forever but it is under cork, of excellent quality mind you, so I will not be having any in the cellar. Worth every cent of its $20 price tag at 93/100.
Wine is bottled poetry.

rednut

Post by rednut »

Go their mail out today. 2009 BP $54 a bottle.
I'll get my six and stick em in the fridge or somewhere with some room :D
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

rednut

Post by rednut »

Well enjoyed another Rockford's lunch yesterday with my lovely wife. Food was spectacular as usual and wines matched to perfection. The 2002 BP is tasting very nice at the moment. Big thanks to Christian for his dilligent service and Sarah for her making sure we tasted all the good stuff (Black Shiraz) prior to sitting down. All I can say is if you haven't tried a lunch yet and can then do it. You will love it. :wink:
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

So who's buying :) what

Regards Dazz

6/10 basket press
3 moppa
6/ Cabernet
3 of the sparkling
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

timmspe

Post by timmspe »

Which reminds me, given that the 2010 Basket Press Shiraz is being sold as a split release, in 2013 and 2014...

Does this imply that a Basket Press from 2011 probably won't be released?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

timmspe wrote:Which reminds me, given that the 2010 Basket Press Shiraz is being sold as a split release, in 2013 and 2014...

Does this imply that a Basket Press from 2011 probably won't be released?

No there is a 2011, now with an extra years age.
If the newsletter is anything to go by, Bp may even be released as a 4 year old...perhaps.

Cheers Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I was under the impression that 2011 wasn't going to be released. That the next one will be 2012 in 2014 with 1 year on it. :?:

that's why there have been 3 releases of the 2010.

2010 - normal
2010 - cover 2011
2010 - give 2012 a year in cellar

or have I been drinking too much BP

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

dave vino wrote:I was under the impression that 2011 wasn't going to be released. That the next one will be 2012 in 2014 with 1 year on it. :?:

that's why there have been 3 releases of the 2010.

2010 - normal
2010 - cover 2011
2010 - give 2012 a year in cellar

or have I been drinking too much BP

Dave,

The 2011 Basket Press will be released this time next year. There was a double release (2 years in a row) of 2010 Basket Press as they claim that they had so much of it and that allowed them to do this. It has always been Robert O'Callaghan's idea to release Basket Press with an extra years age on it anyway.

For what it is worth, I went to a Rockford Lunch the other day in Brisbane (along with Redstuff and Rednick) and I will say that the extra years bottle age will be good for sales. When you think about it, when it is released it has normally only just been bottled so it really doesn't show that well. I think that the 2010 is still the best young Basket Press that I've had. A delightful wine. Really looking forward to the 2012 version after seeing how good this 2010 is.

The 2011 Cabernet is the real surprise packet. I have only bought 2011's to stay in with certain wineries but I will buy some of this because it is actually quite good. Ben Radford reckons it will age well and while it is a very good young Rifle Range, I'm not totally convinced it will. Having said that I'm not used to this style of wine from the Barossa, so I could be off base. I'd say it is more a French style than Australian, which would be a result of the vintage I suppose. It started a bit musty but it blew off very quickly and drank extremely well. It is a bit "softer" than I'm used to in Rifle Range. Ben stated that Cabernet wasn't as affected like other grapes by the wet weather due to the thicker skins etc. etc. Ben claimed Robert O'Callaghan thought it is one of the best Rifle Ranges that they have made. Marketing hype?? Who am I to argue with them?? I enjoyed it with the eye fillet steak!

The 2011 Riesling was not my style but it seemed to be well received. The 2009 Semillon was more enjoyable to me. Quite a full bodied style for a Semillon but very enjoyable all the same.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

rednut

Post by rednut »

Going to Rockfords in a month for a Courtyard Concert/Meal and to have a taste of course. Cant wait 8)

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman »

Bought my 6 BP. Wife made me buy 3 bottle of the black Shiraz too. My poor wallet!
On a related note, just opened a Rockford 98 VP for my birthday and it was superb!

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

rednut wrote:Well its Stonewaller time of year again.
I've been waiting patiently and it arrived today.
BP still $51 a bottle.

I'm doing a Stonewallers lunch for my birthday in a couple of weeks so I cant wait.
Will let you know the outcome. :D

rednut,
did you ever think when you posted back in Oct 2009 that the thread would still be going 49 months later. This must surely be a record.
Could one be forgiven in thinking that perhaps a new thread could be started?

VINH NGUYEN

Post by VINH NGUYEN »

WineRick wrote:
BP still $51 a bottle.

I'm doing a Stonewallers lunch for my birthday in a couple of weeks so I cant wait.

rednut,
did you ever think when you posted back in Oct 2009 that the thread would still be going 49 months later. This must surely be a record.

49 mths later and the price has only gone up to $59 a bottle, not bad at all

rednut

Post by rednut »

WineRick wrote:
BP still $51 a bottle.

rednut,

If it ain't broken dont fix it. This thread is like a bottle of BP, just gets better with age :D

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

I will drink to that !!!! Woo Hoo
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

rednut

Post by rednut »

Well went to the Rockford Courtyard Concert last night. Was a beautiful setting and a good night.
Many glasses of BP and Sparkling Black were consumed. Music was great, only slight disappointment was the so called meal. More of a snack than a meal. :(
But met some friends from Adelaide and had a nice night. :D

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

Was having a look through a national chain retailer and noticed they had 2010 Basket Press going for $180.00 per bottle! :shock:

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Diddy wrote:Was having a look through a national chain retailer and noticed they had 2010 Basket Press going for $180.00 per bottle! :shock:

Bloody hell! My local independent has it for 130.
www.vinographic.com

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

PS, someone who knows - I can get a bottle of 1995 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon for $80 at this store - no provenance though. Good deal?
www.vinographic.com

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

The current cellar door price for the cab is about $44ish.... So with the ability to return it if its bad 80 is i guess OK, but I personally think its a bit much.... If found at auction would be a lot cheaper
------------------------------------
Sam

Adair

Post by Adair »

dan_smee wrote:PS, someone who knows - I can get a bottle of 1995 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon for $80 at this store - no provenance though. Good deal?
I would be leaning to "no" as well.
Wine is bottled poetry.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Adair wrote:
dan_smee wrote:PS, someone who knows - I can get a bottle of 1995 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon for $80 at this store - no provenance though. Good deal?
I would be leaning to "no" as well.

Agree with comments - no provenance information and high price sees a no from me. Whilst Ive had some success with older Cab Sav / Rifle Range - it hasnt been consistent (although this may have been due to provenance).

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Something I have noticed about the 2010 Basket Press. How much of this did they make? It seems to be springing up all over the place. A fair few retailers are selling it now and at stupid prices as well. I always thought it was meant to be a select few retailers and restaurants that got their hands on it along with the Stonewallers.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

ticklenow1 wrote:Something I have noticed about the 2010 Basket Press. How much of this did they make? It seems to be springing up all over the place. A fair few retailers are selling it now and at stupid prices as well. I always thought it was meant to be a select few retailers and restaurants that got their hands on it along with the Stonewallers.

Cheers
Ian

They made twice as much as usual. According to Rockford, they were able to get a lot of the right standard of grape because the grapes were not going into export wines as a result of the GFC driven market crash. Rockford released it last year and re-offered it this year as the 'rare chance release'. They said last year they were going to do this so there is nothing sneaky going on. I think the flooding of the market was due to more flipping than usual. I don't flip - ever - but because I buy 3 bottles a year I finished up with twice as much 2010 as usual - 6 bottles - because I bought three each year. Normal transmission resumes next year with the 2011, but with one year's further bottle age.

shauno

Post by shauno »

Just ordered a 2006 BP for family in the UK, pretty decent price at A$70! Hope it's good, pity I won't be there to taste
I'll drink to that :)