Penfolds Re-corking Clinics 2012

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
sparky

Penfolds Re-corking Clinics 2012

Post by sparky »

Yes, it's that time of the Bi-annual Penfolds calendar again and like Black Caviar we're off and racing - the Penfolds Re-corking clinics are about to hit town.

Dust off your cellar, dig out all those old Penfolds reds (15 years or older) and get online to register for an appointment at http://www.penfolds.com

Dates and locations are as follows:

SYDNEY 7–9th August: Intercontinental Hotel
MELBOURNE 14–16th August: Crown Melbourne
ADELAIDE 22–23rd August: Magill Estate Winery
PERTH 29–30th August: Burswood Entertainment Complex
BRISBANE 4–5th September: Hilton Brisbane

If you've got any questions about the clinics or just want to ring up and say hello, call my team on 1300 651 650.

sparky

Craig(NZ)

Re: Penfolds Re-corking Clinics 2012

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The only thing that needs recorking is penfolds itself :mrgreen:

via collins

Post by via collins »

I should have expected some old fart to make a comment like that :wink:

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

So if you're like Black Caviar, will you be in London ?

Cheers

Mike

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

sparky wrote:Yes, it's that time of the Bi-annual Penfolds calendar again and like Black Caviar we're off and racing - the Penfolds Re-corking clinics are about to hit town.

Dust off your cellar, dig out all those old Penfolds reds (15 years or older) and.........sparky

Only 15 years old, that means even my '96 Koonunga Hills are eligible to be re-corked! Perhaps the clinic is meant for Grange and it's ilk.

How is it that Penfold's thinks that 15 year-old wines may need recorking. Were the corks too short, not good quality, perhaps too much time spent on marketing and flash products for the wealthy. Wines from other parts of the world don't need recorking. I've got 20+ year old Cotes du Rhone wines who's corks are fine.

Cheers.......................Mahmoud.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Penfolds can't win, can they. They offer a unique service to check out your wines for faults, ullage etc rather than have it sitting there for another 10 years not knowing if it is drinkable or not. I reckon it's a great idea and they should be commended on it. You get it checked out, topped up if necessary, re-corked and a label to say so. Then you know that in 5-10 years time it should be still drinking well. For someone with a 71 Grange or something it's a priceless re-assurance.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

dave vino wrote:Penfolds can't win, can they. They offer a unique service to check out your wines for faults, ullage etc rather than have it sitting there for another 10 years not knowing if it is drinkable or not. I reckon it's a great idea and they should be commended on it. You get it checked out, topped up if necessary, re-corked and a label to say so. Then you know that in 5-10 years time it should be still drinking well. For someone with a 71 Grange or something it's a priceless re-assurance.

I agree, this is one initiative Penfolds should be highly commended for, not bagged, especially as they go out of their way to treat every wine of the genuine wine lover the same, be it Koonunga Hill or Grange - no snobbery here! As per their guidelines, wines are generally only looked at if they are showing signs that they need to be (leaking, dropping fill levels, etc) - it's a great way of maintaining the quality of the better bottles that are at risk of being permanently damaged, and weeding out the bad ones. Image

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Panda 9D

Post by Panda 9D »

You would think it impossible to put a negative spin on such a great service they do for their customers. I'm with Dave and Ian.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've registered. Thanks Moira
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Mike Hawkins wrote:So if you're like Black Caviar, will you be in London ?

Cheers

Mike

Sparky - I wasn't being sarcastic. When is the recorking next in London (and NYC for that matter)? I have some 30+ year old Pennies up here and wouldn't mind getting them evaluated.

Cheers

Mike

sparky

Post by sparky »

Sorry Mike, got a bit hectic the last couple of days!

I'll check the calendar but I suspect UK/Europe will be next year Don't quote me on that - I'll get back and confirm.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I'm neither "bagging' or putting a "negative spin" on Penfold's re-corking clinic. Over the years I've been a particularly consistent supporter of Penfold's wines and their ability to age, my previous posts speak for themself. However, after their recent Blockhead Ampoule wine stunt just call me a cynic.

As a cynic I have to say that I have plenty of wines older than my Penfold's wines. Hardly any of them leak or have terribly low fills even after many years. The lowest fill I've ever seen was in a '70 Musar that was, incredibly, at mid-shoulder level and that was off the shelf of a wine shop. A friend of mine bought a bottle and it was lovely so I too bought a bottle.

Now, if Chateau Musar had a re-corking clinic I might take that bottle of '70 Musar and have it filled and re-corked. That way I'd be protecting my investment and......

Ah, there's the answer.

Cheers........................Mahmoud.

LawrenceM

Post by LawrenceM »

Registered with a bottle of 90 and 96 St Henri. What a great service.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Damn good service. A couple of years ago a 1990 Bin 90A was checked and was corked. Sparky replaced it within a week. Bought on release I would have hated opening it in 10-20 years to be bitterly disappointed. Knowing there are 2 bottles in the dungeon in good shape is comforting.

But what happens with bottles sealed under screw cap?

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Chuck wrote:But what happens with bottles sealed under screw cap?

Carl

Rossco wrote:
n4sir wrote:
Rossco wrote:I wonder if in 10 - 15 years the free penfolds re-corking clinic will be available to the numerous releases of their screw-capped wines (ie 2006 RWT ect)?

WTF? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You're taking the piss, right? :?

I can't cast a generalisation across the whole 2006
rwt production, but bottle number 21782 was definately
screwcap last Saturday night.

In short, I would expect bottles under screwcap should never have to be looked at by a Penfolds clinic - never.

Clinics are there to deal with a problem out of Penfolds control - the variability of cork because of its manufacture. While the cork industry still pushes the line that the failure rate is one in twenty (5%) Peter Gago himself has said it's more like one in ten (10% - from either TCA, cork fungus taint or premox) from their experiences at clinics and returned bottles. My own tally of cork faults experienced (of local & overseas wines) over the last 5 years have ranged between 9% and 14% per year, averaging out at about 12%.

While I don't think screwcaps are exactly perfect, the seals consistency at the manufacturing end usually is - I've been aware of a couple of examples where there have been faults (due to the glass manufacture not matching up) but in those cases the whole vintage is usually effected (and have been either not released, or could have been potentially subject to a general recall/replacement). The jury is still out as to whether dents can dislodge the liner inside and cause premature oxidation (after I have heard in the specific cases I've experienced there was in fact a bottle manufacturing fault like I outlined above), but this usually occurs after the wines have left Penfolds anyway.

Most bottle variation would occur after manufacture due to improper storage and/or damage. Would you buy a bottle at a retailer that has been sitting on the top shelf near the ceiling for years, one that has had obvious dents in the capsule, or have accidentally dropped/banged one in your cellar, and then expect Penfolds to take responsibility for it? That's up there with someone storing a bottle of Grange under the bed for ten years and then expecting it to be perfect or eligible for a replacement at a clinic.

My 2c,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

LawrenceM

Post by LawrenceM »

I just got back from the Sydney Penfolds re-corking clinic with one bottle of 1990 and one bottle of 1996 St Henri.

Outstanding setup at the Intercontinental, with a number of people sitting in the waiting room with bottles of Grange and St Henri with white capsules - my bottles were absolute youngsters in comparison. For those waiting, you could either drink tea and coffee or taste a range of wines open for tasting - I tasted the 2008 Yattarna Chardonnay (green apple and citrus, smoky oak, beautiful) and the 2011 Cellar Reserve Pinot Noir (slightly young, but interesting spice and savoury fruits). All the while, there were a number of tables with Penfolds staff in black Penfolds aprons opening, evaluating and discussing a mind-boggling array of different Penfolds wines from various vintages. It made for fascinating viewing.

Peter Gago was standing nearby and opened a bottle of 1952 Grange which he said was "just beautiful" before supervising the re-corking of that bottle and personally signing the certification sticker. A range of Grange vintages from the 50s and 60s were neatly lined up in front of him too.

Ultimately when my turn came the decision was made, after evaluating my bottles, that they were not to be re-corked. After the new was delivered, a Penfolds staff member spoke up from behind the evaluation table and thanked me for coming along, said that they look forward to seeing me next time, and suggested that I sit down and enjoy the show before handing me a generous serving of 2007 Grange.

Say what you want about Penfolds' recent pricing policies, but if this is the type of after-sale service that they are willing to provide then I am willing to pay a premium.

Incidentally, the 2007 Grange (although young) was the cherry on the cake - amazingly floral bouquet of dark berries, cinnamon, tobacco and subtle oak. You will be hard pressed to find many other wines of such raw power and concentration which is simultaneously so complex and balanced. Finish was extremely long, with waves of flavour and tannins which tell you that this wine has a long way to go. Can't wait to try this in 10+ years.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Thanks Lawrence, great write up.
Good on Penfolds for maintaining this service. One day i hope to participate.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Almost worth buying an old 389 or St Henri just to experience the event and a bit of Grange!

52 Grange... Bin 1? 15K plus a bottle at auction, you'd be treating that with care......

Can get all the 98's in next year,watch the numbers swell.... (inc me!)

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I had my first visit to a Penfolds clinic today, in Perth. A very civilised affair indeed. Sparky met me at the reception desk, had my details all ready, and there was only about a 10 minute wait before I was ushered to a table.

It was also good to try my 6 Granges (ranging from 1984 to 1990) and one Bin 90A alongside each other. Fortunately, all were sound, and we had an opportunity to discuss and compare the wines, before topping up with 2007 Grange.

Then off to have them recorked and recapped. The Granges get replacement Grange corks and capsules, while the 90A saw a Penfolds cork and cap.

It was all over in about 20 minutes. Extremely well run, and professional service. And all for free!

It was also a pleasure to catch up with Sparky again, albeit briefly.

Thanks Penfolds!

Allan

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Any particular reason why they chose to open them all Allan?? Your request or low levels or something else??

Along with the other benefits, nice to have a mini Grange vertical tasting too!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

TiggerK wrote:Any particular reason why they chose to open them all Allan?? Your request or low levels or something else??

I am presuming low levels. I didn't ask. All levels were low neck - none were into the shoulder of the bottle. To be expected for wines between 22-28 years old, I suppose.

winenovice

Post by winenovice »

Waiters Friend wrote:
TiggerK wrote:Any particular reason why they chose to open them all Allan?? Your request or low levels or something else??

I am presuming low levels. I didn't ask. All levels were low neck - none were into the shoulder of the bottle. To be expected for wines between 22-28 years old, I suppose.

Hey Allan,

Just out of curiosity were all of them cellared in your ''poor man's cellar''?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8901&p=65966&hilit=cellar+conditions#p65966

John

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

winenovice wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:

Hey Allan,

Just out of curiosity were all of them cellared in your ''poor man's cellar''?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8901&p=65966&hilit=cellar+conditions#p65966

John

Absolutely, John. In some ways, getting a clean bill of health on a couple of thousand dollars worth of wine partially justifies the expense of building and running the cellar! The cellar has 1000 in it at present, and it is nice to know the extra care is making a difference.

Cheers

Allan

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

My wife mentioned to me that her mum is going to ask me today how to sell their recently deceased uncles grange collection.

5 days after the clinic passed through town!

Stuff dating back to the 60's.
600 odd bottles of wine stored in professionally built cellar (obviously not all Grange I'm sure).

Strange how sometimes luck goes in your favour and other times not.

To have turned up at the clinic, tasted a number of the wines and had confidence in putting them onto the open market (via auction) to get his wife back some of the money his family has rorted would have been the perfect commission in my book.

But i love my wife and her family, so i will have to just convince them to hang on for another two years before i will have the chance to put in the work required to get them to market...... ;)

In truth, i am both flattered and excited to be offered the opportunity to look through this prized collection and help it find a new home.

My wife is of the very organized type, so cataloguing shouldn't be a drama, but i won't touch a thing until i have a far better understanding of what is required and how big a task i am looking at.

I haz an excitement.

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

xsorxpire wrote:My wife mentioned to me that her mum is going to ask me today how to sell their recently deceased uncles grange collection.

5 days after the clinic passed through town!

Stuff dating back to the 60's.
600 odd bottles of wine stored in professionally built cellar (obviously not all Grange I'm sure).

Strange how sometimes luck goes in your favour and other times not.

To have turned up at the clinic, tasted a number of the wines and had confidence in putting them onto the open market (via auction) to get his wife back some of the money his family has rorted would have been the perfect commission in my book.

But i love my wife and her family, so i will have to just convince them to hang on for another two years before i will have the chance to put in the work required to get them to market...... ;)

In truth, i am both flattered and excited to be offered the opportunity to look through this prized collection and help it find a new home.

My wife is of the very organized type, so cataloguing shouldn't be a drama, but i won't touch a thing until i have a far better understanding of what is required and how big a task i am looking at.

I haz an excitement.

As you are selling, rather than drinking, you are probably better off not having the wines clinic'd as it is my understanding that unclinic'd wines in decent condition sell for more than their clinic'd equivalents.

Cheers

Mark

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

As you are selling, rather than drinking, you are probably better off not having the wines clinic'd as it is my understanding that unclinic'd wines in decent condition sell for more than their clinic'd equivalents.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

That's an interesting observation, Mark. If that is the case, I have just willingly devauled my stash! My understanding is the opposite - that wines with the Clinic sticker on are likely to be less of a risk, so therefore achieve better prices at auction (not that I am selling!). We can't both be right :D I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this.

Cheers

Allan

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

I think you are both right.

Surely collectors are more likely to value un-cliniced bottles for their originality and authenticity, whereas people like me (single bottle, buy to drink auction buyers) would much rather the clinic and the health check to know the one off bottle will be as advertised.
www.vinographic.com

rens

Post by rens »

Waiters Friend wrote:As you are selling, rather than drinking, you are probably better off not having the wines clinic'd as it is my understanding that unclinic'd wines in decent condition sell for more than their clinic'd equivalents.

Cheers

Mark

That's an interesting observation, Mark. If that is the case, I have just willingly devauled my stash! My understanding is the opposite - that wines with the Clinic sticker on are likely to be less of a risk, so therefore achieve better prices at auction (not that I am selling!). We can't both be right :D I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this.

Cheers

Allan[/quote]

Where's Mark Wickman when you need him? He'd know.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Mark is right, though there is logic in your argument Allan

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I'd much rather buy a Clinic'ed bottle, shame the Auction houses don't seem to list this detail.