Rockford Black Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
MartinJohnC

Rockford Black Shiraz

Post by MartinJohnC »

I would first like to say that I am one of Rockords Wines biggest Fans.
But a question.
In the latest Rockford Rag, Robert O'Callaghan stated, " People have
rung to say that some of their old Black Shiraz have weeping corks"
From bottles I have tried and what I have heard on this forum. This wine needs 6 to 8 years in the bottle to be at its best ?
But Robert seems to be saying that if you don't drink this wine close to release you and your cork could be weeping.
Two points 1. My local retailer has " several bottles of this wine" and they are leaking.
2. I took a leaking bottle of Hardys 95 Arras back to cellar door last month and they replaced it with latest vintage no questions asked.
What is the use by date on Sparkling Corks ?

Thanks Martin

Christo

Re: Rockford Black Shiraz

Post by Christo »

MartinJohnC wrote:What is the use by date on Sparkling Corks ?
Thanks Martin

do not know... but when i crack open my 1976 champagne for my birthday i'll let you know how that has fared!!

How can champagne age for many years without any constant leaks. The rockford corks a probably crap. :shock: :shock:

As for sparkling black shiraz? .. im only a lowly Rockfors mailist member, no BP or Sparkling Black.... sorry no experience in this area. Brian, Ric, Steve(707) could probably help here. Does he at least exchange the "weeping corks"?!

.... ohh, because im a nice guy, i'm happy to buy some of your allocation though!! :wink: :lol:

Christo 8)
PS: Seppelt have just released the 2002 OSS under crown.... & that only costs $14 compared to the $50 odd for Sp.Black.
"You are what u drink!"

Red Bigot

Re: Rockford Black Shiraz

Post by Red Bigot »

Christo wrote:
.... ohh, because im a nice guy, i'm happy to buy some of your allocation though!! :wink: :lol:

Christo 8)
PS: Seppelt have just released the 2002 OSS under crown.... & that only costs $14 compared to the $50 odd for Sp.Black.

Christo,

I odered a 6-pack of the BP 2003 yesterday, didn't order any Black Shiraz as frankly I've been a little disappointed with some of these and I like the current Joseph sparkling red more. If you really want some @ $54 + freight pls email me and I'll see if I can add it to the order.

I haven't noticed any leaking corks though, maybe I had better go and check...
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Christo

Post by Christo »

Thanks Brian,
have sourced 3 bottles from another forum member... email sent.

christo 8)
"You are what u drink!"

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have had heaps of leakers, perhaps a dozen over the past 5 or so years, some up to 5cm down, but this has not affected the wine at all. Perhaps being under pressure prevents the oxidation that would be expected with a still red and a leaking cork.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Is it easy enough to just keep them stored in an upright position and not have to worry about the leaky cork problem?
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

I spoke to Robert about this a couple of years ago - apparently it has nothing to do with the corks and all to do with the abundant sugar/liqueur in the wines! Not sure of the science or logic but is a regular occutrrence irrespective of cellaring conditions. Some of my Joesph's have also leaked for the same reason. Usually no problem - a good excuse to drink 'em!
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust