Thredbo, Summers - Low Premium Wine prices

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Softie

Thredbo, Summers - Low Premium Wine prices

Post by Softie »

FYI, was down at Thredbo last summer & 3/3 good licensed restaurants I went to had premium aged wines at much reduced prices (for restaurants): Saltram No.1 1995, Elderton Command 2000, & Dead Arm 2002 all at $120. I asked, & yes it is a deliberate policy.

Seems to me a good way for those yet to build a big cellar of aged premiums [that's me!] to try a variety of them to learn about their preferences. The Command was superb to my palate - immaculate balance, the Dead Arm very good (& very big) & the No.1 was perhaps a little tawny for my palate (or past its best).

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Welcome aboard, but I wouldn't pay $120 for any of those. Saltram #1 95 was about $30 retail and not worth the price then, Command 2000 $55 (good wine from a tough vintage) and the Dead Arm (lovely wine, the only one of the 3 in my cellar) has been available at auction for under $50, and is still available retail for $55-$60.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Those prices aren't too bad but not something to rave about, I agree with Brian.
We all know the mark up many restaurants charge is ridiculous but those charged at the triple "C" in Brisbane (went there last night to celebrate my daughters 35th) make those an absolute bargain.
CCC's prices were 2004 No. 1 = $179, 06 Dead Arm $131 and 04 Elderton Command $179!! On average, mark up was around 300%.

Food was good, wine list extensive but mark up such that my/our patronage will be elsewhere in future.

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

CCC? As a Brisbanite I'm intrigued.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Rednick wrote:CCC? As a Brisbanite I'm intrigued.

I'm guessing Cha Char Char

cheers Mark

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Ah, of course - haven't been there for a while.

Cheers

Nick