TN: Capel Vale Geographe Chardonnay 2005

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Capel Vale Geographe Chardonnay 2005

Post by Waiters Friend »

Medium yellow in colour. Grapefruit and a hint of cashew on the nose. Moderately oaked, with some 'worked' characters, but not too prominent. Slightly creamy mouthfeel (again, not dominant, just there) and the citrus / grapefruit theme ran all the way through.

An interesting wine for the sum of its parts, without blowing me away entirely. At the price my friend paid, however, (40% of retail), I'd gladly buy some.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Capel Vale Wines

Re: TN: Capel Vale Geographe Chardonnay 2005

Post by Capel Vale Wines »

Allan,

We used a wild yeast to ferment and the winemaker really pushed for a burgundian style. Not something that we would produce for the mainstream, but interesting to play around with in the cellar exclusive range.

Cheers

Scott - Capel Vale Wines

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day Scott

Since you saw my previous post,I have in fact bought a case or two, as the wine is eminently drinkable for the price. The price, unfortunately for you, is half what you are charging at cellar door (and I have been to your cellar dor in that time for tasting). I thank you for your comments about the winemaking, wild yeasts, etc, but have to wonder why I can get it at half price from some joker in NSW (apparently with the blessing of CV). I'd much rather develop a buying relationship with you direct, for our mutual advantage.

Cheers

Allan

pizzler

Post by pizzler »

Capel Vale Wines wrote:Allan,

We used a wild yeast to ferment and the winemaker really pushed for a burgundian style. Not something that we would produce for the mainstream, but interesting to play around with in the cellar exclusive range.

Cheers

Scott - Capel Vale Wines

I've had limited exposure to wild yeast chardonnay's, but have had good experiences with them. The wines take on a different character and don't quite taste like any other chardonnay I've had from that producer or anyone else. Anyone know the theory behind using wild yeast as opposed to domesticated...just a different taste or is there more to it? Also, does anyone know where you can find a list of wineries that use wild yeast? Not all, including Capel Vale apparently, make a point of telling you they're using wild yeast.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

pizzler wrote:
Capel Vale Wines wrote:Allan,

Cheers

Scott - Capel Vale Wines

I've had limited exposure to wild yeast chardonnay's, but have had good experiences with them. The wines take on a different character and don't quite taste like any other chardonnay I've had from that producer or anyone else. Anyone know the theory behind using wild yeast as opposed to domesticated...just a different taste or is there more to it? Also, does anyone know where you can find a list of wineries that use wild yeast? Not all, including Capel Vale apparently, make a point of telling you they're using wild yeast.

I agree, not many wineries tell you they use wild yeasts, and I've seen good and poor examples of its use. Witches Falls in Queensland, for example, do two chardonnays, one which is a wild yeast ferment, and is significantly better (and a fraction more expensive) than the standard model. I suspect that, on the more expensive chardonnays, use of wild yeasts is possibly more prevalent, but not identified on the back label.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I had a bottle of Canobolas Smith (from Orange) 2005 Wild Yeast Chardonnay on the weekend and I love the style. It seems to be more subtle, yet more complex than your full blown chardy. Even one of the people I shared it with who usually only drinks red loved it.

So I am also on the look out for more wild yeast chardonnays. I will have to give the Capel Vale a try.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Capel Vale Wines

Post by Capel Vale Wines »

I can't speak for other wineries, but this particular wine is under the cellar exclusive range (only sold to Capel Vale members or via cellar door) and thus we play around more with the winemaking techniques. We are able to communicate to the customer these winemaking techniques comprehensively more than what we could when the wine is sitting on a retail shelf.

Allan, the reason why you are getting this at a good price is part of the strategy to increase customer loyalty and reward with varieties or styles that are unique, but with the same top level winemaking. I would be happy to sell you the wine at cellar door, however we have sold out!

In regards to using the wild or indigenous yeast compared to a synthetic version really comes down to experimenting with different styles of wine in an attempt to increase complexity. However, you have less control over the wild yeast and thus more chance of losing quality fruit to a poor fermentation.

Scott - Capel Vale Wines

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Capel Vale Wines wrote:I can't speak for other wineries, but this particular wine is under the cellar exclusive range (only sold to Capel Vale members or via cellar door) and thus we play around more with the winemaking techniques. We are able to communicate to the customer these winemaking techniques comprehensively more than what we could when the wine is sitting on a retail shelf.

Allan, the reason why you are getting this at a good price is part of the strategy to increase customer loyalty and reward with varieties or styles that are unique, but with the same top level winemaking. I would be happy to sell you the wine at cellar door, however we have sold out!

In regards to using the wild or indigenous yeast compared to a synthetic version really comes down to experimenting with different styles of wine in an attempt to increase complexity. However, you have less control over the wild yeast and thus more chance of losing quality fruit to a poor fermentation.

Scott - Capel Vale Wines

Scott, please check your PMs. However, the main part of this message is, if this was a wild yeast experiment, was it repeated in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009? If so, will these wines be on the market at some point? And at cellar door only?

Here's a marketing opportunity........

Cheers

Allan