Compiling a shortlist for a mixed afternoon

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Loztralia

Compiling a shortlist for a mixed afternoon

Post by Loztralia »

We're planning a wine tasting session at our place in a couple of weeks, at which the crowd will be a mixed group of interested parties and, er, "enthusiastic amateurs" (predominantly the latter).

We reckon a good way to do it is to send out a list of maybe 20 bottles, all of which should be available in Sydney without requiring much more hunting around that a trip to VC or a decent independent, to allow the guests who aren't into wine to choose what they want to bring but with some kind of assurance of quality (or at least interest).

Obviously I have some of my own ideas and I know the reliable fallbacks but what would you add to this kind of list? Qualifiers being ready to drink, reasonably available, $25-100, Aussie/Kiwi, exhibiting some kind of clear varietal characteristics that a novice could spot. Oh, and no aromatics thanks, we won't have them in the house.

On the final list I'd like to have maybe two or three sparklers, five or six whites covering semillion/SSB, chardy and riesling and the balance of reds. Any creative suggestions welcomed.
3, 65, 7, 50

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Balthazar of the Barossa Shiraz 2005? Trophy winner at the NWS, I'd get a 6pk if I could afford it.

griff

Post by griff »

I went will mostly conservative or conventional wines and regions. If you want more eclectic then that can be arranged I'm sure.

Sparklers I would have Arras or Kreglinger and Pelorus Vintage.

Riesling i would have Howard Park, Pewsey vale contours if you can get as it is an aged release - otherwise the standard Pewsey vale. From Clare there are quite a few but quite like 2008 O'leary walker Polish Hill. From tassie the tigress is decent and from NZ I leave it to the NZ'ers to comment.

Chardy I would pick the Leeuwin (the 06 prelude is very good in a lower bracket) or Cape mentelle or the Voyager or the Heytesbury all from margaret. I would pick a Kooyong from Mornington or if you want to go down in price and can get it the Yalumba FDW[7c]. Again from NZ I leave others to suggest something.

Not sure about SSB as you mentioned no aromatics? Is straight SB or straight Semillon OK as they are aromatic as well?

For reds I would pick the following

Shiraz
cool climate: shaw and smith 06 or Clonakilla Hilltops 07.
warm climate: Something from barossa or McLaren. So many to choose from e.g. Duval Entity, Lehmann Futures, Elderton, Lazy Ballerina, Marius, d'arenburg dead arm, St Hallett Blackwell or even a Penfolds St Henri.
Then throw in a Hunter to be different: A mcwilliams (except the 03's) or a Tyrells, but perhaps a Mereea Park is best.
There is also Victoria (Yarra, Grampians, Great western etc) and don't forget Langhorne Ck...
NZ again for others

Cabernet:
margaret river: Heytesbury or the standard 05 cabernet, Voyager, Maybe the Howard Park which is more Great Southern.
Coonawarra: John Riddoch, Majella, Petaluma, yalumba Menzies 04, Zema Family Selection.
Besides these two regions you must include there are many others. Clare (good for shiraz as well of course), Victoria again and indeed Tasmania!

Did you want pinot? (may defer to others here as well)

Phew! Might be easier just picking off a list of top drops that are in the price range and readily available from either Halliday, Oliver or Winefront? :idea:

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Many thanks.

griff wrote:Sparklers I would have Arras or Kreglinger and Pelorus Vintage.

Pelorus is Cloudy Bay, right? Didn't love that at the price but no doubt worth a second look.

griff wrote:Riesling i would have Howard Park, Pewsey vale contours if you can get as it is an aged release - otherwise the standard Pewsey vale. From Clare there are quite a few but quite like 2008 O'leary walker Polish Hill. From tassie the tigress is decent and from NZ I leave it to the NZ'ers to comment.

Tigress on the list, also Plantegenet. Will have a look at the others.

griff wrote:Chardy I would pick the Leeuwin (the 06 prelude is very good in a lower bracket) or Cape mentelle or the Voyager or the Heytesbury all from margaret.

Might go with the Voyager - any Vasse Felix overweight will lead to accusations of favouring our wedding venue! Though the Heytesbury might persuade my partner to try a Chardy for once.

griff wrote:Not sure about SSB as you mentioned no aromatics? Is straight SB or straight Semillon OK as they are aromatic as well?

Sorry, crap terminology use. Ss and SBs welcome, I'm just ruling out various Traminers, Viogniers etc.

griff wrote:cool climate: shaw and smith 06 or Clonakilla Hilltops 07.

Will go the latter as we've had a bit of overKilla recently :roll:

griff wrote:warm climate: Something from barossa or McLaren. So many to choose from e.g. Duval Entity, Lehmann Futures, Elderton, Lazy Ballerina, Marius, d'arenburg dead arm, St Hallett Blackwell or even a Penfolds St Henri.

I'll put St Henri on the list in the hope someone bites. We've also got the Sandalford Estate Reserve Shiraz which is a bit of a house favourite but as you say it's not a hard one to fill.

griff wrote:Cabernet:
margaret river: Heytesbury or the standard 05 cabernet, Voyager, Maybe the Howard Park which is more Great Southern.
Coonawarra: John Riddoch, Majella, Petaluma, yalumba Menzies 04, Zema Family Selection.

The Vasse Felix 05 is a given, though I may be the only person who doesn't love Voyager's reds. Thanks for the Coonawarra tips, it's not a region I'm strong on.

griff wrote:Phew! Might be easier just picking off a list of top drops that are in the price range and readily available from either Halliday, Oliver or Winefront? :idea:

The former and latter are being used, but where's the fun in single sourcing? :wink:
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

The Plantaganet 08 riesling is a delight! Tried it at cellar door a few weeks ago.

For Semillon would be interesting to compare a Hunter to a margaret to a barossan perhaps

maybe Tyrells vat 1 (i forgot the vat 47 for the chardy section) or McWilliams Lovedale (can move down to scale as well of course) versus a mosswood or cullen straight semillon versus a barossan. maybe the Peter Lehmann reserve margaret semillon.

If you want to move to blends then there are so many to choose from from margaret but less from elsewhere so not sure about that.

For straight SBs then maybe the dog point section 94 and a catalina sounds from NZ (although again others can better assist) compared with a shaw and smith from adelaide hills and howard park 08 SB which is really very good or maybe the stella bella. There is also the Logan from Orange which was good. Have to be honest though and say that while some SBs are superb the majority don't interest me and would much prefer semillon which is so undervalued.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

It's starting to take shape now, but I've got some gaps that need filling, specifically:

- One non-SA, non-WA straight cabernet.
- Two pinots, ideally one NZ one Tassie.
- One non-cabernet, non-shiraz dominant red blend, maybe a GSM?
- One sparkler.

Thanks again for suggestions...
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

Loztralia wrote:It's starting to take shape now, but I've got some gaps that need filling, specifically:

- One non-SA, non-WA straight cabernet.
Lake's Folly :)

- Two pinots, ideally one NZ one Tassie.
Can't help here. Maybe the Ata Rangi 2006 which I liked a lot.

- One non-cabernet, non-shiraz dominant red blend, maybe a GSM?
Spinifex? d'arenberg has lots of stuff e.g. d'arry's original, derelict vinyard grenache, 28 road mouvedre?

- One sparkler.
Wish Bindi still made one. The Croser late disgorged? Janz late disgorged? Yarrabank?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

I'll support the inclusion of a gs/sg or gsm blend, Paxton AAA sg is a very nice wine though perhaps there are better around such as Torbreck The Steading (have a single bottle of the 06 I've yet to open) or Teusner Avatar. If you really want to stick it to someone, there's the Teusner Astral Mataro for a smidge less than your $100 limit. Hewitson Miss Harry 06 is worth considering too, much more affordable.

But the Paxton AAA 06 is my serious recco for it's pure drinkability - the only other of the above that I've tried is the Miss Harry 06 but it doesn't quite make the grade against the AAA that has superior fruit IMO. Then, I've seen plenty of raves for the Avatar. Don't think D'Arry's Original quite makes it in this company either.

Cheers

daz

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kate

Post by Kate »

For the pinots - I'd recommend having the pair at the same price bracket.
I see the 06 Ata Rangi has been suggested which is a great wine, but perhaps the Pegasus Bay 06 Pinot for the NZ wine paired up against Bay of Fires. I know you specified Tassie Pinot - but could be worth examining some of the Yarra examples as well.

Not sure where you got with NZ chardy, but Kumeu River Mates Chardonnay is readily accessible in Australia. The Neudorf Moutere is a classic, but you might struggle to find it.

Other recommendations - Pegasus Bay - Sauv Blanc/Semillon

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Here's the final shortlist - the prices are culled from a few sources and I don't doubt are beatable with a bit of shopping round. Feel free to add any comments:

Sparkling
Chandon Vintage Brut Rosé 2005 (VIC – $39)
Deutz Marlborough Blanc de Blancs 2003 (NZ – $33)

Sauvignon Blanc
Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2008 (NZ – $35)
Philip Shaw No 19 Sauvignon Blanc 2008 (NSW – $25)

Riesling
Bay of Fires Tigress Riesling 2007 (TAS – $27)
Plantagenet Riesling 2008 (WA – $25)

Semillon
Tyrell’s Vat 1 Hunter Semillon 2002 (NSW – $50)
Juniper Estate Semillon 2006 (WA – $22)
Andrew Thomas Braemore Vineyard Semillon 2008 (NSW – $25)

Chardonnay
De Bortoli Reserve Chardonnay 2007 (VIC – $48 )
Voyager Estate Chardonnay 2006 (WA – $42)

White Blends
Cape Mentelle Wallcliffe Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2006 (WA – $45)
Cullen Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2007 (WA – $35)

Pinot Noir
Nautilus Pinot Noir 2007 (NZ – $43)
Kooyong Estate Pinot Noir 2006 (VIC – $40)
Bay of Fires Tigress Pinot Noir 2006 (TAS – $30)

Cabernet Sauvignon
Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (WA – $35)
Petaluma Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (SA – $65)
Lake’s Folly Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (NSW – $50)
Balgownie Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (VIC – $30)

Shiraz
Sandalford Estate Reserve Shiraz 2005 (WA – $35)
Penfolds St Henri Shiraz 2004 (SA – $80)
Meerea Park “Terracotta” Shiraz 2006 (NSW – $55)
Shaw & Smith Shiraz 2005 (SA – $55)

Red Blends
Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2005 (SA – $55)
Spinifex Esprit 2006 (SA – $28 )
3, 65, 7, 50

Kate

Post by Kate »

Good pick on the Deutz BDB - YUM!

Are you doing the tasting as a head to head comparisson?

Looking forward to some notes on these wines!

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Kate wrote:Good pick on the Deutz BDB - YUM!

Are you doing the tasting as a head to head comparisson?

Looking forward to some notes on these wines!

It's not that scientific I'm afraid; I think there's about 12 people coming bringing a bottle or two each - the list is for those who otherwise wouldn't know what to bring. Inevitably we're going to end up with 11 whites and a solitary red with six of the same chardonnay... in which case we'll have to substitute for a few bits out of our own collection.

But I will report back. I'm hopeful there will be at least one or two worthwhile comparisons.
3, 65, 7, 50

Kate

Post by Kate »

Split the list into 3 & circulate accordingly !!!!

griff

Post by griff »

Looks like a good allround list there. Agree with almost all of them as a good example of style.

If you want comments I would do the following:

- Consider adding another red blend wine as while the two you have picked are good wines, I think another wine there might be useful.

- Are you going to have any sweet or dessert style wines?

cheers

Carl

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

griff wrote:Looks like a good allround list there. Agree with almost all of them as a good example of style.

- Consider adding another red blend wine as while the two you have picked are good wines, I think another wine there might be useful.

cheers

Carl

I should have explained, the unspoken part of this is that I know what one or two people are bringing - one friend is very keen to share a dessert wine (not sure what) and I can always add a spare Noble One if we need a second. So that's covered.

Point taken on red blends, I might make that my contribution though I've not got a favourite, per se. I'd like a good GSM.

The white I'm adding, incidentally, is a 2007 Tatler Over The Ditch Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - something of an oddity as it's 60% Hunter Semillon and 40% Marlborough Sauv Blanc. It's also very nice, which is the key point.
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

Loztralia wrote:
griff wrote:Looks like a good allround list there. Agree with almost all of them as a good example of style.

cheers

Carl

I should have explained, the unspoken part of this is that I know what one or two people are bringing - one friend is very keen to share a dessert wine (not sure what) and I can always add a spare Noble One if we need a second. So that's covered.

Point taken on red blends, I might make that my contribution though I've not got a favourite, per se. I'd like a good GSM.

The white I'm adding, incidentally, is a 2007 Tatler Over The Ditch Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - something of an oddity as it's 60% Hunter Semillon and 40% Marlborough Sauv Blanc. It's also very nice, which is the key point.

Good stuff :)

Look forward to the notes. Even if only half of these come along.

cheers

Carl

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

We ended up with a reasonable selection of the list - left it up to guests to bring something off that or something they like. A tad heavy on the pinot and the SSBs as you will see and apologies for the vagueness on tasting - a sign of my inexperience and the quantity on offer :wink: - but here's the lowdown:

Deutz Marlborough Blanc de Blancs 2003
I haven't really got into seriously comparatively tasting sparklings so I can't say too much about this. Pretty inoffensive all round, light and appley. Nice dryness but not too acidic, generally one I'd be happy to drink at the price.

Cape Mentelle Wallcliffe Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2006
Someone brought this but I didn't drink any.

Cullen Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2007
A surprise highlight of the evening for me. Freshly cut grass of course but with a strong emphasis on the freshness. Very subtle palate, not too acidic and surprising length, possibly because it doesn't overpower at any stage. Lovely.

Tatler "Over The Ditch" Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2007
I've loved this in the past - when it works the Hunter semillon/Marlborough sauv blanc blend allows the best of both to show. But this didn't work for me; I think the sauv blanc isn't great and gives the whole package za kind of sickliness. Drinkable but not worth seeking out - maybe the 2008 will be better.

Kooyong Estate Pinot Noir 2006
This got brought but not opened. Bonus!

Nanny Goat Pinot Noir 2006
Pretty well characteristic pinot with a spicy nose and lots of cherry flavours. Medium bodied, doesn't explode at any point or have tremendous subtleties I don't believe. Perfectly acceptable but probably better with food.

Tamar Ridge Pinot Noir 2006
Again very varietally correct on the nose, with what I can't think of a better way to refer to than 'tight sweetness'. Quite light bodied in flavour and again a pretty cherry based sensation that won't scare anyone off.

Bay of Fires Pinot Noir 2006
Having seen this on Winefront subsequent to drinking it we probably should have hung onto this and cracked the Kooyong. It did seem a little closed and perhaps needing more time, but opened up to hint at some sweeter strawberry or raspberry fruits along with the predictable cherries. Nice consistency through the palate though and clearly best pinot of the night.

Vasse Felix Cabernet Merlot 2005
Well we asked for the straight Cabernet but what can you do? Actually this was very nice if very much a drink now style. Plummy on the nose and also on the palate, very fronty but I don't see that as a bad thing if you're drinking young. Full-bodied but surprisingly easy-drinking too, I've shied away from this in the past but I'll get some in for summer I reckon.

Sandalford Estate Reserve Shiraz 2005
Again brought but not opened. Double bonus!

Balgownie Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
Probably could have done with decanting time we no longer had available to us, but impressive nonetheless. Lovely nose with dark berries and spice, tasting somewhat fuller than I expected but well balanced. Very plummy. I've not tried this before but may get a couple to keep.

Cullen Mangan 2006
Really interesting and a second highlight from Cullen. Actually quite grassy and green on the nose but underlaid with savoury aromas, leading to a super dry, dark chocolate-y flavour. Full bodied and what I'd categorise as ascetic rather than hedonistic, definitely a serious wine. I liked it a lot though I don't expect I'd plough through vast quantities of it.

Seppelt DP59 Old Tokay NV
First of all the colour is amazing, leaving a rich dark amber residue. Lovely nose as you would expect and a beautiful depth of gooey flavour. Just a tad of burnt caramel at the end I thought but one to love. [/b]
3, 65, 7, 50

griff

Post by griff »

Thanks for the notes. I think you captured the Mangan 06 very well in particular. Was a very cool year down in Margaret. Glad you had a good night.

cheers

Carl