Sunday and I am up early.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Post by TORB »

So its time to tell us what you have been drinking over the last week. Lists, vibes or TN welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Too much!! But first tastes of

Charles Sturt Uni Chardonnay 2007 Rather nice in the lighter style. Varietal peach with some grapefruit, subdued oak, good mouthfeel. finishes nice and dry with some lively acid/citrus.

St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz 2006 When first opened the vanillin oak was overt but over the course of a couple of hours or so the wine breathed, came together very nicely, deep-seated dark fruits, some dark chocolate and licorice. The oak mostly moved to the tail end of the lengthy finish. One of the more noticeably oaked wines I've had recently, the other was...

The Story Grampians Shiraz 2006 Quite different from the Blackwell, more savoury but also with deep-seated dark fruits and cedary oak rather than vanillin oak. It's so enjoyable now that I'll have to restrain myself from drinking any more of it for a few years.

daz

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hi, just impressions this time,

2001 D'arenberg Footbolt
- Good quaffer. Excellent value.

2004 Domaine Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlmagne
- Wow, this is the goods. Sublime.

1999 Leroy Bourgogne
- 2nd time in as many weeks. Just lovely!

1990 Cos D'estournel
- Still very primary!!! Great drink. Many, many years left.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Tim Smith

Post by Tim Smith »

2006 Willow Creek 'Tulum' Chardonnay Mornington Peninsula

Lifted fruit aromas of melon and fig ,and background cedar oak-classic Chardonnay characters from cc. The palate has a focused mid palate, with the flavour spectrum here more in the citrus spectrum-makes one think this has mid term potential but I'm happy to quaff it now.. Great with my steamed butter beans and pan fried lemon pepper Snapper....

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

I'm just drinking the 2002 Brown Brothers' Patricia Cabernet Sauvignon. Lovely wine. Intense blackcurrant and spice; lovely weight and balance. Wish I had more.

Maroon&Blue

Post by Maroon&Blue »

Tim
Did you source this from a well known auction site? :roll:
Sorry to be forward, but I was keen to bid on some of this!

Thanks for any feedback. :D

Cheers

Ronaldo
Wine improves with age....the older I get, the better I like it!

Alex F

Massale by Kooyong Pinot Noir 2007

Post by Alex F »

Smells gamey and slightly funky, touch of spice, strawberries, sour cherries. A Light bodied wine, red fruits, spice and savouriness on a linear palate. Finishes dry and in a cleansing manner. Very well balanced and very good with food. In my opinion much better than the Kooyong 2004, it's kinda like the Faiveley Bourgogne 2005, but more polished, and more linear. Opened up quite a bit the next day, while still retaining the lovely touch of gaminess. 92

seddo

Post by seddo »

Wycroft wrote:I'm just drinking the 2002 Brown Brothers' Patricia Cabernet Sauvignon. Lovely wine. Intense blackcurrant and spice; lovely weight and balance. Wish I had more.

Ready to go know or would you leave for a couple more years?

cheers
Seddo

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

Seddo, the Patricia is still in quite a primary phase but also has lovely mouthfeel. It will be lovely over the next five years at least, after which I think it'll start showing more secondary characters. Two more years would probably be ideal.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Two that particularly appealed; Te Mata Bullnose Syrah 05 is drinking very nicely but will improve I'm sure. I have several more under the house and will try to keep my paws off those for at least another 2-3 years. Also very much enjoyed Fromm Riesling Spatlese 07, which I tried on Craig's recommendation. Its light greeny-straw in colour but is rich and beautifully crafted; delicious stuff. However, although its a step up from other med-sweet rieslings I rate (such as Carrick, Greenough Hope and Pegasus), I don't think it quite matches the Felton Road, which gets my pick of top NZ riesling (of those I've tried to date). Aslo worth a mention - the non-reserve Church Road Merlot/Cab 06 - this was not bad. Decent structure, appealing cigar box, plum and cherry; I think it would cellar pretty well.
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

bick. agree with your assessment. felton road has an edge (just) at this stage. however the fromm based on experience improves after 12 months in the bottle. it can be a little shy on release

i dont think its an 'argument' that needs an answer. fact of the matter is people should buy both if they are riesling lovers :lol:

i too would put felton at the top of the list. others in the top rank include villa reserve and peregrene charcoal creek. peg bay a notch behind this year.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

A tale of two pinots.

Williams Crossing 06 Pinot Noir
Curly Flat second label, this is a lovely, plucky wine that improved over the night. Love it and have ordered me some more.

Red Hill Pinot Noir 2005
Dried out and one dimensional - tastes like a cheap pinot and it was, granted at $15ish. Suspect this may have done one summer too many in the local hypermarche.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

1995 Tahbilk Cabernet-Shiraz (Nagambie) {cork, 12.5%, $20}
It's pretty remarkable in 2008 that a winery sells a 13-year-old wine for a lobster from the cellar door. Even more so when it turns out to be as good as this. Very Tahbilk in style, which is to say faintly leathery and rustic, but all in a good way, with developed small berry fruit and resolved tannins; all is in balance, and leads to a persistent, dry, and very wine-like finish. No blockbuster, obviously, but even a fruit-slut wouldn't object to this. A fine offering and a pleasure to drink; I note the winery has moved on the 96 now!
cheers,
Graeme