Winter wine trip

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mike

Winter wine trip

Post by Mike »

Hi All.

I am making another trip to Melbourne from the UK, I get in on Monday.

I have never been to Australia in the Winter and am a wondering if there are the same range of wine-related activities available this time of year.

Do the cellar doors remain open?
Can one still do winery tours?

I will be making a trip to the Yarra Valley and the Pyrenees this time. Can anyone recommend some boutique vinyards to visit based on what is good and what might be open?

Thanks and dress warm,

Mike.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Hi Mike,

Refer to the this link for a full spread of the Yarra Valley -

http://www.wineyarravalley.com/www/338/1001785/default.asp

My first recommendation would be to contact Sandra De Pury at Yerinberg as soon as you hit the ground running and try and organise a tour and/or tasting. They are only a very small operation and their cellar door is only available to be accessed by appointment only. I've had many a terrific chat with Guill and Katherine over the years. They are lovely people and their wines are well worth seeking out.

Not so much "boutiquey" but worth visiting is Saint Huberts. With 40+ year old Cabernet vines this historic Yarra Valley producer still delivers the goods. Unfortunately now a pawn in the Foster's conglomerate but don't let that stop you from enjoying a crisp, tight Chardonnay or their benchmark Cabernet. Nada Zivanovic is the cellar door manager.

Next cab off the rank would be the open day at Hillcrest Winery. David Bryant is the owner here and on Saturday the 19th of July is opening a bottle of every wine ever made at the winery.

Here's a link to help you get a better grip on what should be a top day -

http://www.hillcrestvineyard.com.au/

Yering Station make some full throttle Shiraz Viognier and Pinot Noir with their 2005 reserve range certainly impressive enough at a recent tasting. With a 60,000 case production, hardly a boutique here, Mike.
Last edited by dlo on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

David

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

I'll stick to boutique wineries I'd like to visit in the Pyrenees. The only wine I can attest to being pretty bloody good is Polleters Cab 05 (their website needs updating). Halliday's Wine Companion 08 winery note says they're open 10am-5pm on weekends. So, Polleter's (1500 cases) is one, then there's:

Berrys Bridge (1200 cases) - W'ends 10.30-4.30, or by appt
Summerfield (8000 cases) - 7 days 9-5.30
Dalwinnie (8000 cases) - 7 days 10-5
Jardine (600 cases) - W'ends & public hols 11-5
Warrenmang (11000) cases) - 7 days 10-5

If these don't fill a day there's also Sally's Paddock (4000 cases) - Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 10-5 or Taltarni which is somewhat larger (80,000 cases) and produces wines using fruit from diverse ragions including Heathcote, Tasmania and Riverland. The Taltarni Brut bubbles isn't bad for <$20 but I'm not a sparklie afficionado.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

If I ever get down to Victoria again, the Mornington Peninsula is on my must visit list and may be an alternative for you to the Yarra Valley.

I've tried a couple of very nice chardonnays from the region and apparently there are some good shiraz' and cabs being made there, though pinot noir is the predominant red variety. Visiting Mornington and trying some pinots might give me some appreciation of the variety that I've never really explored. The bigots here would likely say don't bother!

Cheers

daz

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Mike,
if you have a full day to spare take a trip north and visit Rutherglen. Home of the worlds best Muscats, Tokays and of course Warrabillas fanbloodytastic Durif.
You do need a full day, leave early, as it is a 3 hour drive, at normal speed, from Melbourne. Well worth the drive for some unique wines.
This is the place that earned me the moniker of "Muscat Mike".
MM.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I can vouch that Warrenmang, Sally's Paddock and Dalwhinnie are open on weekdays (you may need to call the restaurant at Warrenmang to ask them to open the CD). You'll be the only one there in most cases. You could also go to Tahbilk or Great Western, Mount Langhi as part of a big loop.

If you go to the Cellar Store at Heathcote you can find a lot of the smaller wineries in the area available for purchase (but not for tasting), including all the Chapoutier gear.

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

If you decide to head for Warrenmang try to get there for lunch or dinner. The restaurant is v.good!

If you are going to the Yarra, can I suggest a visit to Kiltynane, only two wines but worth the stop, and Kate's a lovely host(ess).

Cheers,

Mark
Cheers,

Mark

dlo

Post by dlo »

Wondering if we've got your attention Mike?

Testing, testing ..... paging Mike to All about Wine ...... Mike to All about wine ....... :wink:
Cheers,

David

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi All.

Sorry for the lapse in communications, I am still here and still touring the Australian countryside.
I am off to Rutherglen tomorrow, so am again fishing for ideas on good places to visit winerywise.

Full report to follow.

Mike.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Hi Mike,

I just toured Rutherglen. See my detailed (and long) notes here:
http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=8308

Recommend the Victoria Hotel for at least one dinner. Great atmosphere, particularly in this weather.

All the wineries are fab, can't really go wrong there.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Campbells
Chambers
Morris
Warrabilla
All Saints
Buller
for starters.