Friday Quiz: In my Normal Reserved Style

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Quizmasters Apprentice

Friday Quiz: In my Normal Reserved Style

Post by Quizmasters Apprentice »

I'm back, and thank you all so very much for the enquiries after my health in the past couple of weeks, not that there was any of course.

Anyway, to the Quiz.

The word "Reserve" is widely used on Australian wine to provide allusion of quality to the wine. The "Reserve" may denote extra oak aging, specially selected fruit or wine held back for later release or a special blend. Then again the only difference between the old Lindemans Padthaway Chardonnay and the new Lindemans Padthaway Reserve Chardonnay is the word "Reserve" and the different label design.

There is one Reserve wine range on the market that uses the name in a straightforward manner but does not pretend that the wine is a premium bottling.

What is it and how do they do it?
Eschew Obfuscation

Mark K

Post by Mark K »

St Hallets Gamekeepers Reserve?

CCK

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

I don't think I understand the question, but the only special use of the word reserve that I know of is "Show Reserve" which does indeed mean that there must be a specific quantity that was/has been the same as that entered in a show. Or something. Actually, I read that so long ago I can't remember exactly what the rule was.

But this question sounds to me like the answer is the name of a wine. In which caseI don't know.

Did I get it right?

cheers,
Graeme

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Banrock Station "The Reserve", named after a wildlife reserve on their Riverland property.

Kieran

Quizmasters Apprentice

Good thought Mark, but not the one I'm after and I'm after a range, not a wine.

Also a search around doesn't indicate that the what the Gamekeeper's Reserve is. The wine I'm after is quite specific in the 'how do they do it' area.
Eschew Obfuscation

Quizmasters Apprentice

Kieran wrote:Banrock Station "The Reserve", named after a wildlife reserve on their Riverland property.

Kieran

While Banrock Station does have Nature Reserves, the Banrock Station reserve range is a premium selection listed as
Banrock Station ‘ The Reserve’ sets a new benchmark for Riverland wine. Fruit has been carefully selected to create a range that reflects the unique terroir of the region

So that's not it.
Eschew Obfuscation

Quizmasters Apprentice

GraemeG wrote:I don't think I understand the question, but the only special use of the word reserve that I know of is "Show Reserve" which does indeed mean that there must be a specific quantity that was/has been the same as that entered in a show. Or something. Actually, I read that so long ago I can't remember exactly what the rule was.

But this question sounds to me like the answer is the name of a wine. In which caseI don't know.

Did I get it right?

cheers,
Graeme

No.

Well, you are correct in your statement as far as I know about "Show Reserve", but not what I'm looking for.
\
Kieron has comes closest to date.
Eschew Obfuscation

Quizmasters Apprentice

Hint,

It's a mass market range of wine.
Eschew Obfuscation

Adair

Post by Adair »

Don't really know but thought I would give the "Angove's Classic Reserve" wines a go. They admit they are drink-now wines are a pretty cheap and indeed all their wines are quaffers... yes, I know, I really have no idea. :oops:

scottv

Post by scottv »

Zilzie Buloke Reserve range - everyday drinking range named after the Buloke Reserve conservation park within the estate.

the Shane Warne collection being their premium stuff.

Adair

Post by Adair »

scottv wrote:Zilzie Buloke Reserve range - everyday drinking range named after the Buloke Reserve conservation park within the estate.

the Shane Warne collection being their premium stuff.

Hahaha - how funny - the "Reserve" is the quaffer and the "Shane Warne" is the classy wine!!! :D

Quizmasters Apprentice

scottv wrote:Zilzie Buloke Reserve range - everyday drinking range named after the Buloke Reserve conservation park within the estate.

Absolutel;y correct Scott, it is the Buloke Reserve range. From the Website, and also the back label:

Buloke Reserve Range

‘Buloke Reserve’ is a conservation park within Zilzie Estate and contains the Northern most stand in Australia of the endangered and rare Buloke tree. This range of the finest quality wines and most popular varieties are ideal for everyday drinking.

They are quaffers however the Sangiovese does have a bit of character about it. Buloke Reserve is the base range for Zilzie, although it's interesting that they have also have a premium range, called "Show Reserve"!

http://www.zilziewines.com/flash_wines_brands.html
Eschew Obfuscation

Post by Guest »

Hurumph - you don't mean to tell me they actually make wine in such a god awful place do you old bean :shock: :shock: - goodness gracious, never heard of such a thing....now where's my glass of claret Jeeves?

Sir Humprey Smithington-Riley
Barrister at Law