Its Sunday and I may have....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Its Sunday and I may have....

Post by TORB »

been slack last week and not put the Sunday drinking post up, but I am making up for it by being early this week.

Time to tell us what you have been drinking. Lists, vibes or tasting notes welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2002 Stonyridge Larose. SRL has its knockers thats for sure and there is no doubt that the price for this wine has just gone insane in the last couple of years. Although I dont taste or drink this wine often I have tried many vintages of it and I still respect it as an extremely good NZ bordeaux blend. Lesser vintages are excellent, top vintages are benchmark stuff. It is always opaque, brooding and is generally a wine generous in black fruit, concnetrated, pure and long.

The 2002 vintage isnt rated as a blinder (probably an average vintage in the true mathmatical sense of the word) but it was still a very classy drink, everything there. Very precise, juicy, complex and long. Value for money is always a debate as is the case with any luxury good.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Mitolo The Riever Barossa Shiraz 2004
Big, ugly but beautiful style, caricatured Barossa, plenty of oak, fruit, texture. Impressive and fighting fit the day after too.

John Duval Plexus GSM 2005
Very interesting, again, nice mouthfeel and fruit, decent length - a quality GSM, a far cry from many other confected models of the same ilk... just something not quite right about this bottle though - a bit hot and raw.

Ashton Hills Pinot Noir 2005
The base model of his pinots, this was terrific, with a year's age onboard. Lovely plum and undergrowth, a very distinctive style. This competes extremely well at the $20 mark and for me, is a more complete wine than the Hoddles (if one was to compare).

D'Arenberg The Footbolt Shiraz 2002
Again, with some age on it, this was drinking really nicely, with big MCV flavour profile stamped all over it, plenty of life ahead of it too, I'd suggest, Marred slightly by a touch of heat on the finish.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Chateau L’Eglise, 2005, AOC Bordeaux, slight blueberry nose. Light bodied red and blackcurrant fruit with just a touch of dark chocolate. Soft easy tannins, with relatively short finish. For drinking now – nowt special, bit generic but would be fine as a summer BBQ light fruity quaffer with some snags or dead animal.

Chateau D’Archambeau, 2003, AOC Graves, bit more stuffing than the above. Mocha initially on decanting, then mint with hints of red cherry and vanilla. Slightly unctuous and mouth coating, blackcurrant, mint/spearmint with an undercurrent of milk chocolate and moderately soft tannins. Reasonable length and light to medium bodied. Nicely balanced (for the vintage) with perhaps just a touch of acid sticking out at the end, but this disappeared with food. Again, a reasonable quaffer, drinking fine now but perhaps with a little time left in it and better than the above.

Cheers

Dave

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Last night
00 Cullen Chardonnay - a bit golden but a fine mix of cashew and nutty oxidative characters with grapefruity acid. Much like a good White Burgundy - yum.
97 Produttori del Barbaresco - Fine, fragrant fennel nose and cleansing tannins. Beautiful wine and tops with duck.
06 Coto de Hayas Garnacha Centenaria - OK. Red fruits - a bit jammy but needing a lot more bottle age.

GW

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

2004 Gaja Ca Marcanda Promis Tuscany Italy : $70 at Auge Restaurant in Adelaide. Initially the nose on this worried me - not due to any cork taint etc but that is was a bit like say Penfold's Thomas Hyland Shiraz. However it opened up and along with food was a nice clean but savoury red wine. I think it's Sangiovese with some Merlot and Shiraz. I would have rather had an older Nebbiolo/Barolo but I was too stingy/sensible to fork out. Must say Auge is a very nice place and I really enjoyed a killer Grappa at the end of the evening !

Nice to be able to contribute here again after the first 3 months of this year was ( voluntarily ) alcohol free....I'm off to have roast chook with a Barossa ( Whistler 2004 ) Semillon.

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Craig(NZ) wrote:2002 Stonyridge Larose. SRL has its knockers thats for sure and there is no doubt that the price for this wine has just gone insane in the last couple of years. Although I dont taste or drink this wine often I have tried many vintages of it and I still respect it as an extremely good NZ bordeaux blend. Lesser vintages are excellent, top vintages are benchmark stuff. It is always opaque, brooding and is generally a wine generous in black fruit, concnetrated, pure and long.

The 2002 vintage isnt rated as a blinder (probably an average vintage in the true mathmatical sense of the word) but it was still a very classy drink, everything there. Very precise, juicy, complex and long. Value for money is always a debate as is the case with any luxury good.

Thanks for hte TN Craig. There seem to be very few on this and other boards, yet there is so much of that wine purchased - for consumption one would think. I've got a few vintages of this and am always interested in reviews.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

rooview wrote:Today, 2002 Domaine de L'Arlot Nuits St. Georges "Clos des Forêts St. Georges" (Monopole) - starting to show a bit more flesh. Still on the learner, structured side but with no hint of greenness. Red cherries and forest fruits intermingle with spice and hint of roasted game. Supple tannins and great acidity. Good long finish.

I find the Domaine de L'Arlot Clos the Forets St George takes ages to open up properly, but when it does it is as an ethereal experience. The 99 I had a couple of years ago only started singing 48 hours after decanting :shock:

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

A very good week - luck of the cork gods - and a reminder of why you cellar wine:

- Castagna Sauvage, Shiraz/viogner/sangiovese, 2003, Beechworth, 14%, diam. Shaping up very well with time in bottle, this showed little sign of the smoke I've had in earlier bottles of this bushfire year. Starting to be fully integrated and silky, with still-bright fruits. Nice wine, over two nights.

- Ravensworth sangiovese, 2006, Canberra, 14%, screwcap. Bright and vibrant red fruits and cherries on opening, this deepened with time in the decanter and built texture. Not Italianate, but an authentic expression of sangiovese.

- Primo Estate Joseph Moda Amarone, cabernet sauvignon/merlot, 1992, McLaren Vale and Coonawarra, 14.5%, cork. Not one of my favourite vintages of this, one of my favourite Australian wines, but this was a good bottle. The 1992, in contrast to say the 1996, shows a more obviously herbal cabernet palate, and a less convincing overall impression of full ripeness, but the amarone processes have still drawn out and extended the palate weight of this blend. Acids still a tad over the fruit weight, but good drinking with a ragu of wild hare, served with tagliatelle.

- Penfolds St Henri 1973, cork. One with the "special vintage" label. This reminded me of why I like older wines. After the usual moments of cork trepidation (this has 2mm clear of soaking, on a full fill), this opened up with full-bore bottle stink. After 20 minutes this dissipated to allow the fruit and age to show. Brown-orange bricking at the rim, as you'd expect from a 35 year old wine, but still those gorgeous St Henri smells of dust, coal and leather. Tar through the palate, but also still resolved fruit characters and good acid (this could have passed for a 10 year old wine). One of those humbling drinking moments when you are glad to have only one bottle open, with good food, and in front of people who understand what it means to be able to enjoy good wine. A very fine old soldier. May my remaining bottles be half as good.

- Fefinanes Albarino 2005, Rias Baixas, 12.5%, cork. My last, still excellent, bottle of the 2005 vintage from Fefinanes. A great demonstration of what albarino can do - slightly advanced colour, but such an enticing mix of bright acids, peach and lemon, plus weight and texture through the palate. I'll be very happy to make an albarino this good (and the 2006 is supposed to be better).

- Ashton Hills 1998 sparkling red, 13%, cork. The last bottle of this, showing signs of bottle age, but still a fascinating sparkler, even into a second day. So lucky to be able to see the tannins and depth of Wendouree fruit done in this most Australian of wine styles. Lines of mushroom and leather through this, fruit weight almost completely gone, but still forthright tannins and an authority through the palate. Very good wine.

- Braida Brachetto d'Acqui 2007, 5.5%, cork. A venture into the world of Italian red bubbles, this apertif or dessert style wine (with residual sugar) was a good finish to a night of sparkling reds, and went very well with a tart of berries and almonds. Strawberries and raspberries dominate, the sugar just tips the scales over the acid, but still enticing enough to go beyond a single glass.

- Rockford Local Growers Semillon 2004, Barossa, 11.5%, cork. Perhaps one of the last semillons still under cork, this shows clear signs of lanolin development, but still tastes fresh in terms of primary fruit character. My biggest problem is not any oak treatment, but the prevailing sense of wateryness through the finish, which lacks conviction. Not a top-flight Barossa semillon (which is a style I have a lot of time for).

- Rockford Moppa Springs 2003, grenache/mataro/shiraz, Barossa, 14.5%, cork. This started out really well, with lots of lifted grenache character (without confection). With time in the decanter, the tannins and spice from the mataro and shiraz asserted themselves, at the expense of the grenache characters, and this hardened noticeably. Still good drinking with steak marinated in garlic and smoked paprika, but not the best Moppa Springs I've had.
Paul.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Some good bottles during the week, but not many notes taken. Some impressions nonetheless:

Te Mata Bullnose Syrah 06 - decent syrah but slightly disapppointed maybe, given expectations, will have to try again.
Te Mata Awatea 06 - a good blend, decent structure, bought a few.
Te Mata Woodthorpe Viognier 07 - I liked this - not as overtly 'apricoty' as expected, but a nice rounded palate.
Te Mata Elston Chardonnay 07 - super wine - creamy, smooth, rich and fruity - must get some more.
Te Mata Woodthorpe Gamay Noir 07 - seemed very french in its restraint and medium body - (surprisingly) nice drink, if perhaps a bit simple.
Te Mata Woodthorpe Merlot/Cab 06 - enjoyable mid-weeker - not especially complex or rich, but very quaffable ($16!)

Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc 07 - decent, refreshing sauv blanc but overshadowed in my memory by the next wine.
Villa Maria Reserve Wairau Sauvignon Blanc 07 - this is on the money - very good, long, mouthfilling flavours. Best sauv I've had in a little while.

Domaine Alary Cotes du Rhone Villages Cairanne 05 - 2nd time I've had this - enjoyable and good QPR, but now I think it finishes a bit hot (its 14.5%), and was a touch 'jammier' than I recalled.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

D'Arenberg Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viognier 2006

Really disappointing, the Viognier was too much and although there was some nice Shiraz fruit in there, the structure was definitely lacking and the flavour profile all a bit one dimensional. Basically I figure you can expect a bit more complexity for $25-30.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

1999 Hardy's Arras Pinot-Chardonnay (Tasmania)
Classy stuff, nearest thing to decent Champagne made in this country that I've tasted, and could be mistaken for it on occasion. Lots of yeasty notes, decent fruit underneath, fine bubbles - an all round winner.

1996 Louise Sipp Kirchberg de Ribeauville Grand Cru Riesling (Alsace)
Super wine. Honeydew, touch of melon. Acid has soften out, but the wine still holds together. Ripe enough to taste almost sweet, but no obvious RS. Certainly aging, but there's no petrol here. A more polished offering than local wines at this age. Very nice, despite the producer not generally being thought of as top rank.

1998 Grosset Noble Riesling (Clare)375ml
This one's fading fast. Murky, almost brown in colour. Copper and brass flavours, not unbalanced - the sweetness and acidity meld well - but just getting too old and getting one-dimensional in flavour. Previous bottles have been better.

cheers,
Graeme

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

a superb wine to round out Sunday night

Richmond Grove Watervale Riesling 1997
Impeccably cellared, the colour was deep gold but the nose and palate were still so lively and fresh, with dominant Bickfords Lime Cordial characters with heavy wafts of perfumed petrol (if that makes any sense). Long, moreish, delicious! A great example of aged Riesling.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Taswegian

Post by Taswegian »

Fairly hard week at work so quite a few tasted in the wee hours of the morning. Hence brief notes.

Clarence House Estate Sav 06 (s.tas)
Nothing too amazing. Solid sav with nice pineapple notes.

Bay of Fires Pinot Gris 07 (n.tas)
Not as good as the 06. Lots of acid, but not enough fruit to back it up.

Secret Stone Sav 07 (nz)
Had nothing else in the fridge so went to this at last resort. Very surprising. For an entry level sav had beautiful fruit notes and clean finish.

Providence Miguet Chard 05(n.tas)
One of my fav chards from tassies oldest vineyard. Not too much oak, not too much malo. Great balance.

De Bortoli YV Viognier 06
Nice beefy viognier with a touch of oak and good stone fruits.

Bird in Hand Merlot 06
Drank this one a bit cold. Nothing really to report except for a bit too much spice for me.

Two Hands Lilys Garden 04
Opened this one by mistake. Thought it was an 05. Beautiful and balanced with bright red fruits coming through and an undercurrent of lovely spicy chocolate. Only have three left now and will separte them from the other garden series.

Mt Mary Cabernets 1983
Only opened this about half hour before drinking, which I think was too little time. Tasted a little weak at first, but then opened up into a beautiful rich style. Still slightly restrained, I do not think it would last much longer.

And lots of the new Cascade Green beer. Slightly w###erish marketing campaign, but lovely clean beer.

p.s. I have a bottle of 2003 D'Arenberg Cadenzia GSM under a zork that I am wondering wether to crack. Anybody had this wine?
Never enough Pinot........but now I have found shiraz

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Villa Maria Reserve Wairau Sauvignon Blanc 07 - this is on the money - very good, long, mouthfilling flavours. Best sauv I've had in a little while.

I have loved this label in the past but I had this a week ago at the winery and didnt float my boat, seemed past it. maybe it had been open too long?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hi all,

Been awhile since I've had the chance to browse/post.
Work has absolutely schomozzled me...
Highlights only of the last 3 months.

2001 Majella cab- very good
1996 St Hugo- very good
1997 Petaluma coonawarra- excellent
1999 Gladstone shiraz- excellent
1999 Saltram No 1- excellent
1996 Domaine Leroy gevrey-chambertain- excellent
1995 Cullen Cab Sav- sublime

Cheers,

monghead.

seddo

Post by seddo »

one wine springs to mind and not for all the right reasons

Calico Town Rutherglen shiraz 02 - first tasted this at the winery in 05 - from memory won gold at the local wine show - remembered enjoying this so much purchased a 3 pack - last night paired this with a roasted scotch fillet and red wine reduction sauce - the wine tasted very much like the sauce big fruity and bordering on being port-like. My palate has obviously changed over the years because I did not enjoy it as much as some of the other wines I've being drinking over the past few weeks :(

cheers
Seddo

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

A decent line-up over the weekend, but in very social settings, so brief impressions only:

Te Mata Awatea 1998 Good but not brilliant
Te Mata Bullnose Syrah 1998 Thought this might be past its use-by date, but still drinking nicely.
Te Mata Elston Chardonnay 2002 Absolutely brilliant.
Clearview Reserve Chardonnay 2002 Heavily oxidised -- luck of the draw with these, with around 50% oxidised / the rest good. Tim Turvey to his credit recognises this as a cork problem & will replace them.
Cloudy Bay Te Koko 2005
Crossroads Talisman 1998 Good fruit but rather disjointed -- a shame as I've still got a few of these.
Rockburn Pinot Noir 2002
Canadoro Riesling 2005 Good unheralded dry Martinborough riesling.

Cheers
Peter

Adair

Post by Adair »

2007 Cherubino Mount Barker Riesling: A wine that shows brilliant winemaking, maybe even more than its great fruit. Mouth-watering nose of sparkling water minerals, flowers and lime. Very deep, particularly for a Riesling, partly result of a little lees stirring that remains unnoticeble leaving the wine scuptured. Focused, juicy and long, it remains understated throughout and an example of control and sheer elegance, all underpined with marvellously fine yet strong acid. 7 grams of residual sugar is superbly judged with the wine not sweet at all. 95/100.

To ensure that I was not exaggerating the Cherubino, I opened what I believe to be the best Clare Riesling of the (rather ordinary) vintage, the 2006 Tim Adams. Although more powerful, the sheer class of the Cheribino overshawed it. Lemon, limes and with excellent texture. Petroleum starting to show. Still great at 92/100.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Birthday next Thursday and had my birthday meal yesterday.

1993 Laurent Perrier - good mature champange that needs to be drunk
2004 Carbonieux Blanc - very young and already very complex
1998 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay - A year too old I think. Good fruit and complexity, but jusy a bit too full in the mouth.
1999 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay - A baby. Tight, with lots of minerality. Will take another 5 years to properly open up
2000 Leeuwin Estate - perfect drinking at the moment. Very similar to the 98, but better balance.
1996 Figeac - Starting to brown a bit already. Good acidy and balance, with the Cabernet Franc dominating. Very good.
1999 Neil Ellis CWG Shiraz - Beautiful wine, just reaching its plateau. Much more fruit and power than the Figeac, but retains balance.
1997 Chateau Grillet - Quiet a wierd wine with lots of lanolin. Served blind and nobody mentioned either fruit or viognier
2002 Pichler Samagrd Gruner Veltliner - can't remember the actual vineyard which is a shame as this was by far the best wine of the day. Incedibly young, heaps of fruit, taming acidity and a long finish. Class.
2007 Two Hands Cane Cut semillon - Good desert wine. Sweet but balanced.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Adair wrote:2007 Cherubino Mount Barker Riesling: A wine that sugar is superbly judged with the wine not sweet at all. 95/100.
Adair

Yes, I agree. Stunning wine. I tasted it in Larry's presence - he's a very big fan of Mt Barker riesling in general and this vineyard in particular (they were quite old vines, from memory).
cheers,
Graeme

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

2000 Merricks Estate Shiraz

Big leather nose, warm black and green peppercorn frontal attack but without the alcohol, well settled and moderate body, nothing exceptionally complex but a reasonable food wine. Backed by aromas of charcoal and cigar box, almost a smoky character. Interesting, but probably not the best varietal show.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

I have loved this label in the past but I had this a week ago at the winery and didnt float my boat, seemed past it. maybe it had been open too long?

Its possible, although other reasons maybe (a) food-match and/or social setting, or (b) that you've tasted many more sauv blancs than me and you're harder to please? As it happens, the Villa didn't remain the best sauv blanc I've recently tasted for long, as I had a bottle of 07 Cape Crest last night - now that was fine! Still think the Villa was very good, mind you.

mattECN

Post by mattECN »

I was at the Providence Cellar Door in Tassie last week:

All wines on tasting were of excellent quality; the 2004 and recently released 2005 Pinot were showing very well, the vintage variations were noticeable, the 2005 was the pick for my palate.

The 2004 Chardonnay was very good also, but the 2005 Providence Madame Miguet Reserve Chardonnay was simply outstanding. Excellent purity of fruit and oak treatment, and long lasting finish. Had to buy this.

We also tried the 2007 Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling. This wine memorised me. 8% alcohol, slightly sweet, excellent balancing acid and a finish that just kept on going. highly recommend this.

we visited Providence after going on the Hollybank Treetops Adventure (on the way to Lillydale), if you are over that way, this is a must too!

Dr - 307

Post by Dr - 307 »

2005 Steve Hoff Heritage Wines Rosco Shiraz - 15.2%alc

I loved it. Full flavoured and smooth. It will only get better with bottle age. I'm getting another three to put away. In 10 years it will be a ripper. The missus also used it in the lamb shanks on the weekend and OM-F-G!!! Despite it being 15.2% it was well balanced which goes to show balance above alcohol is what's important IMHO. Lots of ripe fruit with balanced oak. Very mouthfilling. And no, not porty either.

Did I say I loved it. 95/100 no problem at all.

Cheers,
Dr - 307.
"No need to over-analyse. Good tish is good tish!" - Dr 307.

Taswegian

Post by Taswegian »

The 2004 Chardonnay was very good also, but the 2005 Providence Madame Miguet Reserve Chardonnay was simply outstanding. Excellent purity of fruit and oak treatment, and long lasting finish. Had to buy this

This is one of my fav chards from northern tas. Beautiful balance. Had one last night actually.

We also tried the 2007 Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling. This wine memorised me. 8% alcohol, slightly sweet, excellent balancing acid and a finish that just kept on going. highly recommend this

I don't quite get this. I too love this wine. Lots of people are quick to bag out the Wellington Iced Riesling, yet love the Frogmore Creek Iced riesling. To my knowledge, they are basically the same wine.
I think Andrew Hood, or his team, have done a superb job with these wines. Beautiful intense sweet apples and peaches up front and then slowly finishing with quite a nice, refreshing dryness.
Never enough Pinot........but now I have found shiraz

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Its possible, although other reasons maybe (a) food-match and/or social setting, or (b) that you've tasted many more sauv blancs than me and you're harder to please? As it happens, the Villa didn't remain the best sauv blanc I've recently tasted for long, as I had a bottle of 07 Cape Crest last night - now that was fine! Still think the Villa was very good, mind you.

yeah i usually love the vm warau label. i think 07 is the first vintage where ive preferred the usually riper clifford bay over the usually herbier wairau.

its a good wine dont get me wrong but it just seemed a bit tired from the bottle at the winery. to be honest i recklon it coulda been opened for a while......the usual 'by the glass' oxidation curse

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

...i recklon it coulda been opened for a while......the usual 'by the glass' oxidation curse

And that's why those pouring wine should always check it before providing the customer!