New Zealands Top Half doz Chardonnays

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

New Zealands Top Half doz Chardonnays

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Given only a fool would argue Te Mata Elston, Neudorf Moutere and Kumeu River Mate's wouldnt feature what are your picks for the other three??

Id probably also put Sacred Hill Riflemans in the top 6, but the other two??

What say ye kiwi chardy drinkers??

I feel a shootout tasting coming on
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

I'd agree, Rifleman's should be there; most recent release is very special. My pick for the country's best chardonnay is the infrequently made Fromm Reserve - muscular, sinewy, classy and built for long, long life. I'm also constantly impressed by the delicious flavour spectrum of Seresin's chardonnays. Craggy Range has a very good wine, Les Beaux Cailloux (sp?), which is in the infancy of its evolution, but which is already very impressive. And finally, perhaps just outside the top six, Pegasus Bay and Clearview chardonnays are often of great quality. When you think about it, and I don't drink terribly much chardonnay, we're pretty darn lucky to have so many quality expressions of this grape in one little country.

Bick

Post by Bick »

You can probably make up the numbers with the other Kumeu labels. The Kumeu Estate should be there I'd say. Maybe that's a bit uninspired though!

Edit: Babich Irongate?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

tried all the 06 kumeu river chardys last night again

mates and coddington have the edge at the mo

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:mates and coddington have the edge at the mo

Last year when I tasted them sied by side I thought the Coddington seemed like it needed a bit of time, compared to the Hunting Hill - has that changed do you think?

Paradox

Re: New Zealands Top Half doz Chardonnays

Post by Paradox »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Given only a fool would argue Te Mata Elston, Neudorf Moutere and Kumeu River Mate's wouldnt feature what are your picks for the other three??

Sacred Hill Riflemans, Clearview Reserve and Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough, would be my three.

I struggle with Neudorf Moutere, even though I buy it every year - it just doesn't seem as 'great' as it should be - I'd prefer the standard Kumeu River wine to it. Morton Estate Black label is another highly regarded wine that doesn't do it for me either.

Church Rd Reserve is a pretty smart wine. Other personal favourites are Coopers Creek Swamp Res, Odessey Iliad and any/all of the Villa Maria Reserve single vineyard wines.

Rob

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

yes. the coddington is definitely the most approachable now, without a doubt and in fact the least approachable was prob the hunting hill showing very prominant acid structure, very tight. not sure i like it yet.

the estate needs time to integrate the oak still a bit elemental and oak is a bit obvious

the coddington is well integrated, broader and fatter. the mates is looking almost approachable too but will improve over the next 2-3 years. id wait.

we also had the 05 mates which looked heaps better than last time i tried it though the 06 will obviously suprass it in time.

for me i reckon coddington for drinking 1-3 years and mates for 3-6 years is the way to go

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Bick wrote:You can probably make up the numbers with the other Kumeu labels. The Kumeu Estate should be there I'd say. Maybe that's a bit uninspired though!

Based on the 2006 vintage Bick, that's actually truly inspired. A range so stunning from any other producer has yet to be seen. I woud have Kumeu River Estate and Kumeu River Mate's s guaranteed inclusion. The others, unfortunately have not established a track record yet - but I am sure, based on the consistent quality from Kumeu River, that they will.

Sacred Hill has only had one off season in the last few years. That would have to be there.

My recent fave is Auntsfield Cob Cottage 2006.

Church Road Reserve should also be considered with show trohies for the last three vintages.

Sorry, I would not include Babich Irongate.

SueNZ

Re: New Zealands Top Half doz Chardonnays

Post by SueNZ »

Paradox wrote:I struggle with Neudorf Moutere.....

Me too Rob, but I don't taste it every year so bow to others opinions on this one.
Cheers,
sue

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Paradox wrote:
I struggle with Neudorf Moutere.....

Me too Rob, but I don't taste it every year so bow to others opinions on this one.
Cheers,
sue

i struggle with the 'why didnt i buy more' feeling. id say 80% of the time i drink the stuff it is magical. had an 04 a couple of weeks ago care of Dave it was just stellar even though a bit young.

paro neudorf out and villa reserve in is just madness!! :lol:

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:the least approachable was prob the hunting hill showing very prominant acid structure, very tight. not sure i like it yet.

That's interesting - I will have to try the Coddington again. I had the Hunting Hill as the more approachable last year and your notes from that time suggest it was drinking better last october:

Craig(NZ) wrote:The 2006 Hunting Hill ($43) is drinking well now, slightly softer and richer - seems the most approachable of the 4 biggies.

Has it gone into a hole, fallen apart, or could it just be bottle variation?

(Oh, and sorry, I imagine its bad form to re-quote like that, but I'm not trying to catch anyone out - just interested if its changed in its drinkability as I was thinking of getting a few Hunting Hill - no offense meant!)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Has it gone into a hole, fallen apart, or could it just be bottle variation?

(Oh, and sorry, I imagine its bad form to re-quote like that, but I'm not trying to catch anyone out - just interested if its changed in its drinkability as I was thinking of getting a few Hunting Hill - no offense meant!)

No offense taken!! Believe me I am quite aware that things seem different on different occassions, and i can assure you it wouldnt be the first or last time ive changed my mind on aspects of a wine. Not only did I see different futures in the wines but my preferences changed too.

On release it was actually a struggle to pick them apart in comparison to last night. They seemed to morph back and forth in the glass and i kept changing my mind throughout the night.

Last night was more in line with the last time i tried them at the winery. The Coddington is the more approachable, a idea backed up by the folk at KR themselves. The Mates also drinkable but better is too come for the patient. i think that is simply because they show a bit more richness on the palate and a bit more integration.

The Hunting Hill is very tight and linear at the moment and the estate a bit disintegrated with oak yet to meld.

Any way at the end of the day they are all good chardonnay's just depends on your bent/ when you want to drink them.

And now for a bit of controversy - I think the 04 Neudorf Moutere has the edge on all the 06 KR's (just) and should also live longer. I cant actually specifically remember the 04 elston but id love to do the 3 labels from the 04 vintage side by side as 04 mates was great too.

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Clearview Reserve & Sacred Hill Rifleman's are definites for me, in addition to Craig's 3, but I'm not sure about the 6th ... on their day any of Church Road Reserve, Vavasour Anna's, Ata Rangi Craighall, Coopers Creek Swamp Reserve, Pegasus Bay, Esk Valley Reserve, Mission Jewelstone, the Villa single vineyards or Vidal Reserve could be contenders ...

Cheers
Peter

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Love Kumeu. I can't think of too many others. I may be out of date by a few years but I reckon they are uniformly ordinary... Too sweet, dripping nectarines and invariably overworked. Just throw a blind one in ..say an 05 Leeuwin Art Chard and see what happens.
GW

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Gary last time we did a top 5 nz vs top 5 aussie blind tasting aussie got 1st and second spot with leeuwin and Yattarna (using the 3 pts for 1st 2 for second 1 for 3rd system) . Elston was the cheapest wine though and came in at 3rd spot and more people than any other wine placed it in in their top 3 which is a credit to it

interested to buy the 05 leeuwin thats for sure

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Vidal Reserve

yeah its very tidy and would definitely be a top contender

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
Vidal Reserve

yeah its very tidy and would definitely be a top contender

Lost the "quoting" knack already? :roll:
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Lost the "quoting" knack already?

certainly looks that way

Glen

Post by Glen »

I was pretty impressed with both the Waitiri Creek and Saint Clair Chards on a recent trip. Unfortunately have not tried a reasonable line up for a while in order to be able to benchmark.

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

SueNZ wrote:My recent fave is Auntsfield Cob Cottage 2006.

Church Road Reserve should also be considered with show trophies for the last three vintages.

Hmmm, great palate Sue. :-)

This Friday we compared the Auntsfield to the Kumeu River Hunting Hill. The Hunting Hill is a lovely wine - lemony, complex, succulent, and yet everyone agreed it was overshadowed by the Auntsfield - a truly fabulous wine with depth, complexity and buckets of flavour.

Tonight we looked at Kumeu River Estate vs Church Rd Reserve, both from 2006. Upon opening it was easy - the complexity and depth of the Church Rd was clearly evident. Interestingly, after 2-3 hrs the Kumeu River was looking pretty tidy - higher acid, sl more structure and perhaps a propensity to age better but still not quite as good as the Church Rd for drinking now.

All of these are excellent wines, but if I had to choose one it would be the Auntsfield.

Rob

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

The other three wines should be Sacred Hill Riflemans, Clearview Reserve and Mountford.

The '06 Mountford Chard is a LEAS in disguise - one of the best Chardonnays I've seen from New Zealand yet. Track this down if you can find some.

I think the Clearview Beachhead is great value, as is the Ata Rangi Petrie. Felton Road and Dry River both produce excellent Chardonnays too. The Fromm gear is always good too, though less of a crowd-pleaser.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Hmmm, great palate Sue.

This Friday we compared the Auntsfield to the Kumeu River Hunting Hill. The Hunting Hill is a lovely wine - lemony, complex, succulent, and yet everyone agreed it was overshadowed by the Auntsfield - a truly fabulous wine with depth, complexity and buckets of flavour.

Tonight we looked at Kumeu River Estate vs Church Rd Reserve, both from 2006. Upon opening it was easy - the complexity and depth of the Church Rd was clearly evident. Interestingly, after 2-3 hrs the Kumeu River was looking pretty tidy - higher acid, sl more structure and perhaps a propensity to age better but still not quite as good as the Church Rd for drinking now.

All of these are excellent wines, but if I had to choose one it would be the Auntsfield.

Rob

though of the 4 big 06 KR Chardies the estate and hunting hill are currently the least integrated and are the lesser to drink now. will have to keep an eye out for the auntsfield. sounds tasty!