St. Henri Shiraz 2003

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
chewy_1974

St. Henri Shiraz 2003

Post by chewy_1974 »

Just bought a St. Henri shiraz to keep. Just after some thoughts about this wine. I have never tried this vintage but bought it as a small investment.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Welcome to this most excellent forum.

There are a few tasting notes for the 2003 St Henri, posted on this site.

Why don't you try the Search function?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Just a hint on 'investment'

1. I dont believe it exists. Wine speculation maybe, but not investment. There may be the odd exception but most of the time you are just dreaming about returns that after costs just dont exist
2. That aside if you do go for it one of the first rules would be buy top vintages. 2003 was not a top vintage.

However I did try the 2003 St Henri yesterday and I have to admit I was surprised in finding I really liked it. Its a nice controlled wine.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Bick

Post by Bick »

Craig(NZ) wrote:2003 was not a top vintage.

While I know that's true, I've been surprised at the number of wines that are given very high scores by the likes of JH from this vintage. The St Henri is an example - he considers it just as good or better than the 96 or 98, for instance - both considered much better vintages on the whole. I guess fine wine can be good even in bad vintages... (I'd stand by your advice as a general rule however)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

While I know that's true, I've been surprised at the number of wines that are given very high scores by the likes of JH from this vintage. The St Henri is an example - he considers it just as good or better than the 96 or 98, for instance - both considered much better vintages on the whole. I guess fine wine can be good even in bad vintages... (I'd stand by your advice as a general rule however)

yes but you will find the rich asians buying these wines to drink mixed with coke just have a look at a few vintage charts. exceptions are lost on most
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

L plater

Post by L plater »

I've had quite a few of these in recent months - my brother in law bought several dozen in a cheap deal and used it as the main red at christmas/New Year functions

It's still a great drop with classic velvety Barossa shiraz flavours - rich chocolate, plum and spice on the palate, but when tasted alongside better vintages was noticably short.

From what I've read of it, it may not benefit much from cellaring further.

Attila

Post by Attila »

The 2003 St Henri is a delicious velvety wine to drink now and over the next 8 years. It's surprisingly forward so I don't know how long you are planning on keeping it. Personally I think this wine is already too expensive for what it is.
As for investment I'd buy something else from the Penfold's portfolio.
Cheers,
Attila
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

chewy_1974

Post by chewy_1974 »

Thank you for all the replies

Ed W

Post by Ed W »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
yes but you will find the rich asians buying these wines to drink mixed with coke just have a look at a few vintage charts. exceptions are lost on most

gee craig, you are still living in the age of fine kiwi cuisine equals to meat and three veg!