Glenloth

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ian S

Glenloth

Post by Ian S »

I see an interesting lot coming up at auction.

1960 Glenloth Padthaway Cabernet Sauvignon. I've seen mention that Glenloth became Wynns - is this correct? Despite that I'm presuming this wine would be shot? If there's an outside shot of an interesting wine, then I might put a low bid in.

Any thoughts / history appreciated

regards

Ian

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Glenloth was a small producer in Mclaren Vale.

In 1970 it was taken over by Allied Vintners ( =Allied Breweries UK+ Tooheys Brewery NSW)

In 1972 Allied Vintners took over Wynns.

Now both under the umbrella of Southcorp.

Its a little more complicated -
see: http://www.johnwiley.com.au/highered/st ... 200407.pdf page 9

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

I read in Decanter that Wynns was orginally called Chateau Comaum (back in circa 1890, it must be said).
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

John #11

Post by John #11 »

http://hundredofcomaum.com.au/

"In 1890 Scotsman John Riddoch saw the potential of the rich red terra rossa soil to grow fabulous vineyards at Comaum.

He planted the first Cabernet Sauvignon vines in 1891 and produced the first "Coonawarra" vintage in 1895 - described at the time as 'of superior quality'. It is anyone's guess what a bottle of this is worth today... Riddoch died in 1901 before seeing his bold venture completed - you can still see the distinctive chimney, built at the same time as the cellar's pot still. In 1946 the property was renamed Chateau Comaum after the Hundred of Comaum where it, and Coonawarra, lies."