half bottles...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
tim1210

half bottles...

Post by tim1210 »

Hi All,

I've been trying to get my hands on nice half bottles to put away and eventually take to restaurants etc when my partner and I aren't up for a whole bottle, but have only been able to find the odd half bottle at inflated prices (i.e. St Henri)...

So my question is this: can anyone suggest where i can get my hands on nice half reds 6/12 at a time (hopefully a bit cheaper?) and which wineries do them? How does one get them?

Cheers!

Tim

beef

Post by beef »

IME, hardly any wineries produce half-bottles (of table wine), and never at reasonable prices.

Just open a full bottle, and funnel half of it into a rinsed Grolsch bottle, and then store it in the fridge, for consumption the next evening.

I always keep a couple of Grolsch bottles handy for this purpose.

Stuart

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Agreed, very few do decent halves. One exception is Rockford who seem to do their Cabernet in halves.

Otherwise I agree, by whole bottles and drink them over two nights.

Glen

Post by Glen »

beef wrote: Just open a full bottle, and funnel half of it into a rinsed Grolsch bottle, and then store it in the fridge, for consumption the next evening.

This is a great look in a fine dining restaurant :o

Sally's Paddock do half bottles at about half bottle prices, Henscke....um struggling here.

However that is what I love about France, you can buy a half bottle of just about anything. I usually find that two half bottles are perfect for lunch :lol:

Red Bigot

Re: half bottles...

Post by Red Bigot »

tim1210 wrote:Hi All,

I've been trying to get my hands on nice half bottles to put away and eventually take to restaurants etc when my partner and I aren't up for a whole bottle, but have only been able to find the odd half bottle at inflated prices (i.e. St Henri)...

So my question is this: can anyone suggest where i can get my hands on nice half reds 6/12 at a time (hopefully a bit cheaper?) and which wineries do them? How does one get them?

Cheers!

Tim

There are a few decent ones around, but as you said, the price isn't always right. I find the 30% off sales at BWS a good time to pick up a few halves.

I have Rockford Cabernet, Henschke Keyneton/Euphonium, Sallys Paddock and I've seen St Hallett Blackwell.

According to wine-searcher Turkey Flat and Craiglee do shiraz halves, Moss Wood do Amy's Cabernet in halves and at the cheap end there is Koonunga Hill, Jacobs Ck and Wolf Blass Yellow label.

A pretty poor range really.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Garry

Post by Garry »

Purely for research purposes, a trip to Dan's et al might show you what is available - our local has quite a few in stock most of the time - in the 'fine wine' section.

Another typical benefit of buying the halves is they don't move so quickly - so you can often pick up stuff that is 1 - 3 years behind current vintage. Being a half, it is not likely to age as well, so drinking it is win-win.

Having said all that, I give full marks to Beef for the Grolsch suggestion. I guess I could drink 1 beer ... just for the bottle.

beef

Post by beef »

Glen wrote:
beef wrote: Just open a full bottle, and funnel half of it into a rinsed Grolsch bottle, and then store it in the fridge, for consumption the next evening.

Sally's Paddock do half bottles at about half bottle prices, Henscke....um struggling here.

However that is what I love about France, you can buy a half bottle of just about anything. I usually find that two half bottles are perfect for lunch :lol:

** I posit that there's no difference (with respect to "class", "image", or any other such vague and useless concept) between taking a half-bottle to a restaurant, and taking a half-full bottle to a restaurant. Fine-dining or otherwise.

Anyone disagree?

Stuart

beef

Post by beef »

Garry wrote:Purely for research purposes, a trip to Dan's et al might show you what is available - our local has quite a few in stock most of the time - in the 'fine wine' section.

Another typical benefit of buying the halves is they don't move so quickly - so you can often pick up stuff that is 1 - 3 years behind current vintage. Being a half, it is not likely to age as well, so drinking it is win-win.

Having said all that, I give full marks to Beef for the Grolsch suggestion. I guess I could drink 1 beer ... just for the bottle.

** I can't take credit. I got the idea from someone else on here. Might have been Gavin.

Stuart

Glen

Post by Glen »

beef wrote:** I posit that there's no difference (with respect to "class", "image", or any other such vague and useless concept) between taking a half-bottle to a restaurant, and taking a half-full bottle to a restaurant. Fine-dining or otherwise.

Anyone disagree?

Stuart

Whoops, thought you meant to take the Grolsch bottle full of wine, apologies.

The problem with taking a bottle half full is the lack of oxygen ingress control, and possibly sediment disturbance if precautions weren't taken.

There is also another fundamental problem with taking a half bottle...financial irresponsibility :wink: Let's face it, you might as well just order a couple of nice glasses from the list rather than paying corkage, especially with Australia's limited half bottle range.

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Moss Wood do half bottles of their Cabernet. Melbourne Street Cellars has them in stock here in Adelaide.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Isole e Olena Chianti Classico
You can order any size bottles you want of Bordeaux en-primeur for no cost difference.

GW

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

At this point I'll once again make my request for someone to put a decent wine in 500ml and 1 Litre bottles. Then I wouldn't have to worry about decanting half into a 375 ml bottle etc. Thank You.

Actually when I raised this once before someone gave me a method for getting 2 x 750ml bottles into 3 x 500ml servings. How did that go again?

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Found it.

Open 2 bottles on night one. Drink one glass out of each that night then you have 2 x 500ml approx serves for subsequent nights. Works well because each person can have a different wine on night one and then you can discuss and compare when you drink the remainder.

You would need 2 x 500ml bottles to decant into though. It's better if they are pretty much full to the brim for keeping purposes isn't it? ie: You wouldn't want 250-300ml equivalent of airspace in the bottle for 3-5 days?

I presume you do need to sterilise your 500ml bottles every time.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

beef wrote:
Glen wrote:

** I posit that there's no difference (with respect to "class", "image", or any other such vague and useless concept) between taking a half-bottle to a restaurant, and taking a half-full bottle to a restaurant. Fine-dining or otherwise.

Anyone disagree?

Stuart

Oh, right - I'd formed a picture of our man whipping an old empty Grolsh bottle out of his jacket pocket in the restaurant, having ordered a 750 ml off their wine list and finding it was too much, then sloppily pouring the remainder into the Grolsh half, staining the tablecloth, and said jacket when placing the half back in pocket BUT having remains to drink at home. Now that might not be good look. :wink:

tim1210

Post by tim1210 »

what a laugh! thanks for all the imaginative ideas everyone. i've found myself an empty verjuice bottle that will do the job nicely in the absence of a grolsch and think i will take up using it in the aforementioned manner. and i guess it's far from the end of the world if we end up drinking the whole bottle :wink:
however, FYI, i've since found out that lake's folly do halves of the cabernets for 25 bucks a pop (but you've gotta buy a dozen). anyone have any idea how the 06 vintage was in the hunter?

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

06 not as good as 05 or 07 for reds but still a good dry vintage. The wines will age very well.
GW

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I know Mount Mary also do halves as I've seen and ordered themin restaurants but I've never seen them on the mailing order form. I guess you'd have to ring the winery. Still, they won't be cheap!
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

and Coriole Shiraz ..and d'Arenberg do Dead Arm in halves but not this year but will next vintage as they had to change bottle to get screwcapped halvies.

Brokenwood have just released 07 Sem in halves too - that will cellar nicely medium term.

GW

GravyMaker

Rockford

Post by GravyMaker »

I had a half bottle of Rockford Basket Press (1999 I think) at the Victory hotel a couple of months ago - not sure if they usually produce halves (or if they are available to the public)

Brett
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It is a shame more Australian wineries don't do half bottles. I love it in France and Italy how they are so common.

Half-bottle is perfect for dinner for 2 if you have to drive....

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

I was out at Grove Estate in Young (Hilltops) yesterday, and they have the 2006 shiraz in halves. There is a bit of viognier in it, but it is not particularly apricotty, and made by Tim Kirk at Clonakilla. What's more, in a fit of good sense, they've priced it at $15 per bottle, under screwcap, which is less than half the price of the full bottle.
Paul.

craig loves shiraz

Re: half bottles...

Post by craig loves shiraz »

tim1210 wrote:Hi All,

Cheers!

Tim

Personally, my partner and I would be embarassed if we couldn't knock off a bottle between us over dinner...... :wink:

You can always take it home as well.... you don't have to leave it there....

craig loves shiraz

Post by craig loves shiraz »

plod wrote:It is a shame more Australian wineries don't do half bottles. I love it in France and Italy how they are so common.

Half-bottle is perfect for dinner for 2 if you have to drive....

You both driving? One half way home, then get out and change drivers?

Seven

Post by Seven »

saw some dead arm 2004 at reasonable price - 25.98
also st. henri 2001 at 29.99

TORB

Post by TORB »

From tomorrows Tour Diary

"Reid (Kaesler Wines) has recognised the lack of availability of quality red wine in 375ml bottles and is doing something about it. The first wine released in half bottle was the 2006 Avignon. They produced 500 dozen and the wine is available from cellar door at $17 per bottle with freight free to capital cities (packed in 12's). They intend to expand the range of half bottles and depending on the enthusiasm, will take it up the tree to the Bogan and Old Vine. Now that's good news."
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

dazza1968

half bottles

Post by dazza1968 »

Henschke also do 1/2 bottles in their keyneton estate range,
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

dazza1968

half bottles

Post by dazza1968 »

TORB wrote:From tomorrows Tour Diary

"Reid (Kaesler Wines) has recognised the lack of availability of quality red wine in 375ml bottles and is doing something about it. The first wine released in half bottle was the 2006 Avignon. They produced 500 dozen and the wine is available from cellar door at $17 per bottle with freight free to capital cities (packed in 12's). They intend to expand the range of half bottles and depending on the enthusiasm, will take it up the tree to the Bogan and Old Vine. Now that's good news."
Fantastic i was just about to order some :wink: Great to know if all is well they will expand the program.........
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I just noticed Spring Vale Winery from Tassie have started doing half size bottles. Their Pinot Noir would be worth looking at, as it does age.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

wineworld

Post by wineworld »

Also, how will the restaurant owner react when you pull out your own wine to have with your meal. :roll:

dazza1968

???

Post by dazza1968 »

wineworld wrote:Also, how will the restaurant owner react when you pull out your own wine to have with your meal. :roll:
? :?