So what are Rugby fans drowning their sorrows in?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
SueNZ

So what are Rugby fans drowning their sorrows in?

Post by SueNZ »

Champagne and bubbles are off the menu, although Madame Bollinger did say that she drank it when she was sad.
French Wines are off the menu. English wines are off the menu (but who drinks English wines anyway).

I woke up in the wee smalls and turned on the television to see the last 20 minutes of the Wallabies / England game. Shock, horror, when the final whistle blew.

It couldn't happen again, I thought, as the All Blacks game started turning to custard. But it did.

I think a brooding and deeply thoughtful Aus or NZ wine is on the agenda. A wine to reflect with ... . A wine to reflect what could have been.... If only .... If only.... If only.....

Did the TV3 programmers play the Monty Python skit, "Always look on the bright side of life" for a reason, after the coverage of the NZ game, I wonder.

Oh well, life does not revolve around rugby here. It revolves around wine.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Sue,

I think something thin and acidic is the go, as both the wine and the results would stick in my craw!

There is one silver lined cloud here. At least bloody Craig won't be able to gloat and rub it in, as you guys also lost!
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I think some nice Bordeaux. Close enough to be an English wine region anyway. Perhaps some Talbot..
GW

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Gary W wrote:I think some nice Bordeaux. Close enough to be an English wine region anyway. Perhaps some Talbot..
GW

Um um - French and English wines are *off* the menu :(

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

SueNZ wrote:
Gary W wrote:I think some nice Bordeaux. Close enough to be an English wine region anyway. Perhaps some Talbot..
GW

Um um - French and English wines are *off* the menu :(

Not off mine!
GW

John #11

Post by John #11 »

What is rugby?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

John #11 wrote:What is rugby?

Something to distract you in the AFL offseason.

But having just come back from 2 weeks in NZ, you'd think it was a religion or something...

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Where is Craig when I need him. :lol:

I had the Weeping Sands Syrah 2006 from Waiheke Island. Pretty smart wine.

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

SueNZ wrote:

Craig is wasting time in Aussie or at least he was on some work related junket .. and on the plus side England won .. my wife being english I have little choice but to grit my teeth and either support them or sleep on the couch.

I think I might start supporting tiddly winks ...
"It is better to drink wine young than to find out too late that it is vinegar"
<b>www.kiwiwinefanclub.co.nz</b>

Bick

Post by Bick »

Cheer up - its only a game!

Of course... cough... I'm actually english... cough... keeping a low profile here in Auckland today
Cheers,
Mike

GravyMaker

England

Post by GravyMaker »

Bacchus wrote:
SueNZ wrote:

Craig is wasting time in Aussie or at least he was on some work related junket .. and on the plus side England won .. my wife being english I have little choice but to grit my teeth and either support them or sleep on the couch.

Sleep on the couch! :wink:
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Bacchus

Re: England

Post by Bacchus »

GravyMaker wrote:Sleep on the couch! :wink:

Good point less nagging/carping and I won't feel dirty in the morning

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Bacchus wrote:
SueNZ wrote:

http://www.cheng.cam.ac.uk/~pjb10/winks/results.html

English look pretty good at tiddlywinks too (current world singles champions!) ... maybe a change of allegiance is in order. :D
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Jay60A wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Craig is wasting time in Aussie or at least he was on some work related junket .. and on the plus side England won .. my wife being english I have little choice but to grit my teeth and either support them or sleep on the couch.

http://www.cheng.cam.ac.uk/~pjb10/winks/results.html

English look pretty good at tiddlywinks too (current world singles champions!) ... maybe a change of allegiance is in order. :D

Bleedin typical ... this and cheese rolling ... now to try and discover where Jay has hidden his stash of wine and plunder it for my own!!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wizz wrote:But having just come back from 2 weeks in NZ, you'd think it was a religion or something...

If it is a religion in NZ I'd guess they're getting ready to crucify someone right now...

We knocked off a magnum of 1991 Brands Laira Cabernet Sauvignon watching the Wallabies go down to the Poms - no excuses for the loss really, just really outplayed and out-muscled, especially at the scrums. We were a bit lucky to be up at half time from the one bit of really good play that resulted in the try - both teams went in hard and turned the ball over a lot under pressure. The Poms looked pretty bashed up by the end, but just played that bit better and deserved the win.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I think turning into Atheists would be a more appropriate response.
English sparkling wine is supposed to be very good as it happens...same chalk as the Champagne region in Kent and the downs..
GW

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Well, it may be very tragic and all that, but none of us expected the Wallabies to win the thing this year. We may all have expected that second-rate Wallabies would beat a third-rate England, but then if you play at a 4th-rate level, you'll get beaten by third-raters... dear oh dear!
Graeme

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Hey we had a few hours while Aussie in where NZ was still in the cup while aussie was out. Guess we have to take what you get and make the most of it.

Gets me thinking of of wine shows. Top elitist wineries dont enter as they have nothing to prove and they have more to lose than gain.

I remember a NZ wine show a while back where Ch Yquem scored a silver medal along with that lindermans Porphry 'sauternes'. In fact a wine shop put together a "silver medal pack" with the two wines bundled - "Buy one get one free. Guess which one you have to buy" the sign said

Maybe it is time NZ legislated against entering our All Blacks into this second rank competition where forward pass calls are not made?? :lol:

Even our cricketers made the semi finals! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Looking for any excuse

C
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

Ye Gods Craig, don't mention the "c" word in an Aussie BB - they actually follow the game with about the fanaticism we follow football (and I don't mean soccer!).

I see that Bendon are setting up a new bra factory in NSW as they can't keep up with supply from the one in NZ - y'know - all support - no cup.

GG

mkcoleman

Post by mkcoleman »

Grey Ghost,

That reminds me of a poor rugby joke

What's the difference between a teabag and the Australian (& NZ) rugby team?

The teabag stays in the cup longer ... boom boom!!!

Yes I know a crap joke indeed ... but hey as a Pom I quite like it ... :wink:
"Seek to understand, before being understood" Stephen Covey

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

mkcoleman - yes, bad - but true.

You can only laugh or cry - and as the saying goes - laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and you cry alone.

My grandfather's generation went in to the front line in 1916 - 18 with black humour - jokes as a mordant against the horror (800 died in four hours 90 years ago today, in an attack at Passhendaele - 1300 in thirty two hours). Two ex 1905 All Blacks fell in France too.

That generation coined a phrase that is still used frequently in NZ (unknowingly) to this day "Here we go, here we go, here we go again!" as they moved up. Appropriate I think, as you'll have to watch out in 2011 - when we have the home-town advantage! :)

Davo

Post by Davo »

Still jetlagged after getting back from watching the Oz game live and the NZ/France game on the big screen in the company of 300 Froggies.

Oz were crap and the Poms were only 2 points better and should not go on to win any more games. Wilkinson again their only point scorer. The Blacks just choked in the face of the French onslaught and I have to tell you the atmosphere in the room was huge. I have never heard the anthem sung with so much passion.

Oh, and I had a Mumm followed by Crozes Hermitage to wash down the loss

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Im beginning to think i will be in a rest home before i see the all blacks win the world cup. Is that now 5x they have gone into the cup the favorites to win and come away empty handed??? :evil: :!:

I really think now it is a burden to big for any coach or team to bear and should play on their minds so much that they over try to win it and as a result????

I can see this loss causing massive damage to nz rugby. disruption, people leaving, people booted out. it will scar more than any other result in the all blacks history

We all know the All Blacks are the best rugby team in the world, as we all know the aussie cricketers are. The difference is that aussie backs it up with results when it counts. they may not have the chapple hadlee trophy (at the mo anyway) but at least they have the one that matters - the world cup.

there ive talked about it and hopefully i can now move onward!!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson