I would like to thank the leaders of the world....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
BillMac

I would like to thank the leaders of the world....

Post by BillMac »

for giving the people of Sydney a long weekend.
It has given me the oportunity to show some good friends some Hunter Valley wineries. They have never been to the Hunter before so we have put together a little tour.
The itinery follows:
Meet at the hotel at 11am off to Tyrrells then Audrey Wilkenson for picnic lunch then Tullochs and Petersons.
Saturday: Allandale, Boutique Wine Centre (Meerea Pk), Scarborough, Blue Tongue Brewery for lunch - Mistletoe, Tintilla, De Iuliis - phew.
Sunday: Mt Pleasant for lunch then home.
It's great to be alive.
Last edited by BillMac on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duras

Post by Duras »

Me too... off to the Canberra region with friends, staying at Goolabri Country Resort and visiting: Clonakilla, Helm, Mt Majura, Lark Hill, Mundoonen, Jeir Creek (not necessarily in that order) and any others we can fit in over the 2-3 days.

Any suggestions for lunch on the Saturday would be very welcome.

PS

BillMac

Post by BillMac »

Clonakilla! Havn't tried their Shiraz Vionier yet but going down in November and a visit is a must. Sounds like a great weekend. Have fun.

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Duras, where in the region are you going to be on the Saturday for lunch? If you are out near Clonakilla, Helm, Yarrh and Mundoonen, you are pretty close to Schonegg, which is an excellent BYO lunch option. The cafe/restaurant's website is www.schonegg.com.au and Richard and Evelyn who run the place are excellent value. Good food, with little pretension, and a focus on local produce.

Alternately, duck in to the Kingston shops on Saturday morning and go to the Silo Bakery. Grab a bunch of cheese, some olives, good bread and maybe a French tart, pack it all in the car and drive it out to one of the wineries (like Yarrh) that has a good space for picnics.

And if you are really at a loose end, we still have about half a hectare of shiraz pruning to get through...
Paul.

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Yep, Grazing is excellent, and bookings definitely required. I didn't suggest it as it is a bit of a hike if you are doing the Murrumbateman wineries on the Saurday.
Paul.

Santa

Post by Santa »

rooview wrote:A recommendation for Grazing at Gunderoo here. Excellent local-produce orientated pub serving excellent meals - booking is essential. http://www.grazing.com.au/

Nice and close to the excellent Lark Hill (really like their approach and some of the wine isn't bad either!).

Re: Your Avatar

What happened to Dame Edna? Is she boycotting shaving? :?

Maria
"I have made an important discovery... that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication".

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

Iconic Wines Distribution