Help with impending Loire Valley visit -and southwest France

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Wayno

Help with impending Loire Valley visit -and southwest France

Post by Wayno »

Self explanatory really. We're off to France in a week and a half and during that time, we're spending a few days in the Loire and then on to the south west, Dordogne area for another couple.

Any good and accessible wine tips? Restaurants, tasting opportunities etc?

We'll have a car so will be relatively mobile so to speak.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Wayno,

It might be worth you checking out Tom Cannavan's Wine Pages. He has travel resource files for a number of wine regions:

http://www.wine-pages.com/travel.shtml

And just general information too:

http://www.wine-pages.com/regfirst.shtml

His forum is also a good place to ask questions from quite knowledgeable people; if I remember rightly one of the regulars live in and makes wine in the Loire:

http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Regards,

Nayan

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Wayno,
No tips on wine etc, but we spent a few weeks in the Loire for chrissy 04, and were in Normandy last year. We enjoyed Mont St Michel, and if you are in, or near, Normandy, a day tour for the D Day beaches is a must if you have even the slightest interest in history.

Have Fun

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Wayno,
It's going back a while, but spent a week in the Loire visiting chateaux and wineries, a couple of each a day. Managed to get by with minimal French, though the only winery that had an English-speaker, or a tour, was a sparkling wine cave (literally) near Samur. Visited other wineries in Vouvray (sweet Chenin) and Anjou. A wonderful place to visit for the history, wine and good food.
The Dordogne I've also spent a week in and has fantastic castles, great food, but not so hot on wine. Full of English tourists, avoid in their school holidays. I think it was that around there that there is Cahors (big red), Bergerac (Rose) and specifically I remember http://www.chateau-monbazillac.com/uk/index.html, I recently came across their wine label in a dresser!
It might have changed in fifteen years :wink: At the time I had a book "The Wine Roads of France", but that's well out of print now.
Duncan

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

I spent 5 days in the Loire last summer. I based myself in Chinon, as it's as close to the middle of the Loire region as you can get. Chinon is a lovely little town with some great gites (B&Bs) nearby among the vines, and some nice restaurants (e.g., 30 Annees). There are a several good wineries in the area as well (e.g., Joguet, Couly-Dutheil, Baudry).

We visited Savennieres (one of my favourite wines) for a day, and there are several great wineries to visit there, including Baumard, Closel, Laroche, Chamboureau, Joly). The first three are particularly recommended.

Vouvray is also a must visit, as Huet is there (one of the top wineries in the region). But there are several other great wineries there as well (e.g., Aubuisieres, Pinson, Champalou).

You HAVE to visit a castle or three while you are there, evn if it is a 'touristy' thing to do. They really are quite amazing. We went to Chenonceau (probably the most amazing castle in the Loire) and Villandy (nice gardens too).

It's a lovely rural region, but I'd receommend doing some homework before you go, as the sites are rather spread out for France, and there are thousands of wineries you have never heard of!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Thanks a lot for the handy tips and suggestions. Currently mouldering away into the dark hours in the Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer lounge waiting for our flight. Look forward to testing some of these out.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

wineguy

Post by wineguy »

I've always loved Marc Bredif Vouvrays, especially the older ones. I'd love to go there, lucky bugger. :D
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."