Supper club

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Shiraz_Freak

Supper club

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

Anyone ever been to the Supper club in Spring St Melbourne??

Have read a good review on the place today and think it may be a nice place for a few ports and a nice cigar to finish an evening.

Apparently the wine list is pretty good and they have humidor as well.

Nice old couches to kick back in, could be a fitting end to a good night.

Any other recomendations for wine bars or something similar in that area??

Barney

Post by Barney »

Have been there many times over the years including in the last few months mostly in the company of others that wanted to go there, has a good wine and cigar list with comfy couches, occasionally you need to wait for a seat. I find the crowd there a bit too pretentious, with a few genuine tossers mixed in but could just be me and my new 40+ grumpiness.

The Punch Lane wine bar just around the corner in little Bourke St is a good alternative but closes way before the supper club

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

omfg I love the Supper Club!!

Well, I loved it when I was in Melb. last, thats the one across the road from the parliament building yer? Up the staircase, empty bottles from wall to wall?

Anyway, loved it.

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Gets the thumbs up from me. The restaurant downstairs (The European) is also highly recommended.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

I went there about five years ago for a few snifters after dinner on a rare junket across the ditch. We drank fizz from memory, courtesy of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia's expense account. Loved the atmosphere - there just isn't the population to sustain that sort of niche place over here, I don't think - and I particularly liked it when they started bringing round the first edition of the Age at about 2am, proof that it really is a late night sifters' abode.

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

Sounds good will have to check it out if we can walk that far after dinner

griff

Post by griff »

Seem to remember missing out on a glass of 1897 or so Madeira at $63. Wasn't as into wine back then. 7 years ago and still remember! Haven't come across anyplace else that offers old Madeira yet...

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Ahh the Supper club.... was the last place we visited in a big night of pubs and clubs in melbourne... and was not where I was expecting to be directed to after a session at the trader bar... however being a bit of a wine buff I took it in my stride... ok the bottle of Pol Roger that I drank by myself in the end was a little over priced but only with the fresh oysters was fantastic.

I must say it did have its fair share of wine w@#kers, but was an entertaining place none the less. Discussing, or more so arguing, the fact that the Hunter Valley actually can make red wine to a fellow that had "written reports for Roseworthy College" ( yes I say that in a rather sarcastic tone of voice) was the highlight of the evening, as was sharing his $250 half bottle of bordeaux... but I guess money can of course by you friendship... for atleast 2 hrs... before we left. hehe

I would deffinately recommend the supper club, fantastic wine list, food and staff... could not be more pleasnt. Just dont plan on having a heavy wallet once you are done.... and dont drink yourself silly before hand.

Cheers, Brett

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

The supper club is a great place. I find myself going there often, and it's open very late (4-5am). The markups on wine are probably the highest of anywhere in Melbourne (e.g. they probably don't sell koonunga hill, but if they did they'd charge $45 a bottle). The wines by the glass are also highly priced compared to the quality. That being said, their winelist is massive (a bound book of maybe a hundred pages), and with a great range of european wines. It's the only bar in melbourne that i know of that has quite a few DRC's, for example, and their bordeaux equivalents. I go there for the atmosphere and the great service, but usually limit myself to a couple of beers (which may not be too overpriced), a glass of old whiskey (which comes with the whiskey in one glass, ice and tongs in another glass, and a miniature bottle of water), as well as a glass of wine. I once got a half bottle of 04 rockford basket press there for $59, which i think was quite good considering their markup on other wines, and myself not being a stonewaller.

As for the cigars, get in before 1 July 2007 when the new smoking laws come into effect. I hear that the supper club are going to build a rooftop garden where smoking will be permitted (with building funds kindly donated by the tobacco companies/lobby), but i'm not sure of when this is happening.

Conclusion:
It's a great place, with great service, and a huge range of wines. I hesitate to say over-priced, because it's such a good environment (especially if you get a seat near the circular window over-looking parliament), (so i will merely say highly priced), and if you are intending to spend a lot on wine, i suggest that you request one of those seats after informing the waiter of how much you are likely to spend. If you have difficulty finding it, it is an unmarked wooden door next to the european.

Cheers,

Andrew

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

Dress code??

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

Early colonial; spats optional.

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

lol wycroft :lol:

Bick

Post by Bick »

I'm in Melbourne next month for a conferance. I'll have my little boy in tow though (1 year old) - the supper club sounds great, but would it be no good taking a little one, or could you get away with it? In the early evening obviously. Cheers.

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

I'm in Melbourne next month for a conferance. I'll have my little boy in tow though (1 year old) - the supper club sounds great, but would it be no good taking a little one, or could you get away with it? In the early evening obviously. Cheers.

Hi Bick, you may be able to take your boy, but they might ask him for ID. It's a bar/lounge, not a restaurant, so they check ID at the door (I think from memory though that people under 18 months are allowed in such venues). Also, regarding early in the evening - I don't think i've ever been there before 1am, so i'm not sure what time they open. In my experience it's the type of late night place that you go to to wind down before heading home. If you're going early in the evening, I suggest the European which is downstairs and next door. They're owned buy the same people, and i think they share the same cellar/winelist. It's also a restaurant, so you can have a proper meal there.

There are plenty of other great places in melbourne, so let me know of what type of place you are interested in and i'll try to make some other recommendations.
Last edited by aj_syrah on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Anyone ever been to the Supper club in Spring St Melbourne??

Have read a good review on the place today and think it may be a nice place for a few ports and a nice cigar to finish an evening.

Apparently the wine list is pretty good and they have humidor as well.

Nice old couches to kick back in, could be a fitting end to a good night.

Any other recomendations for wine bars or something similar in that area??

Hi shiraz_freak,

I appears we share a varietal. Another place I can recommend is called 'The Toff in Town'. It only just opened recently, and it's above cookie on swanston st. It's is located in curtin house (voted melbourne's best vertical laneway), which is also the former australian communist party headquarters - the perfect place to enjoy a red. The wine list is exclusively French, and their wines by the glass are very impressive. Wines by the glass include a left and a right bank Bordeaux, an E. Guigal Crozes Hermitage, a Chatenauf du Pape. There's probably a burgandy in there as well, and probably a few of others, including french whites (but i didn't take much interest in those).

Check out this link: http://www.theage.com.au/news/bar-reviews/the-toff-in-town/2007/05/17/1178995305276.html

cheers,

aj_syrah (Andrew)

Wine Girl

Post by Wine Girl »

Actually went to the Supper Club last night. Just dropped in at around 7pm for a glass of wine (Bindi sparkling, $14) and a pre-dinner snack and it was already quite full - no comfy couches left. Yes, the wines are overpriced, especially those served by the glass. The elegant bar-snack equivalents were delicious, but expensive. Although, my friend commented that his oysters were a little disappointing. The wine list is extensive and exciting, but much smaller than the 100 pages someone claimed above.

Regarding a dress code, I didn't even think about the fact that there could be one - I wore what I had been shopping all afternoon in (jeans and casual jacket). Perhaps later at night this becomes more relevant?

I like the Supper Club. The women to men ratio was about 10 to 1, so perhaps all you wine-loving single men could keep that in mind!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wine Girl wrote:Actually went to the Supper Club last night. Just dropped in at around 7pm for a glass of wine (Bindi sparkling, $14) and a pre-dinner snack and it was already quite full - no comfy couches left. Yes, the wines are overpriced, especially those served by the glass. The elegant bar-snack equivalents were delicious, but expensive. Although, my friend commented that his oysters were a little disappointing. The wine list is extensive and exciting, but much smaller than the 100 pages someone claimed above.

Regarding a dress code, I didn't even think about the fact that there could be one - I wore what I had been shopping all afternoon in (jeans and casual jacket). Perhaps later at night this becomes more relevant?

I like the Supper Club. The women to men ratio was about 10 to 1, so perhaps all you wine-loving single men could keep that in mind!

We missed you Wine Girl - good to see you back! :wink:

Now I've just got to get the address of this place and my butt on a plane over there. The 10-1 ratio sounds great... as long as they're not there to pick up other women. :D
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

The wine list is extensive and exciting, but much smaller than the 100 pages someone claimed above.

The women to men ratio was about 10 to 1

It seems we are both susceptible to exaggeration. :wink:

Wine Girl

Post by Wine Girl »

Except the women:men ratio was not an exaggeration. At one point I looked around the room and commented to my friend that he was the only male. There were about 20 women and 1 man - so technically, the ratio was higher.

Thanks, n4sir. I actually check visit the forum every day, but seem to work some people up too much when I post - especially Gasman. Best if I just keep my mouth shut.

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Wine Girl wrote:Except the women:men ratio was not an exaggeration. At one point I looked around the room and commented to my friend that he was the only male. There were about 20 women and 1 man - so technically, the ratio was higher.

Sorry to have doubted you wine girl, I must try to get there earlier in the night when the girl/guy ratio is higher.

Bick

Post by Bick »

aj_syrah wrote:Hi Bick... ...There are plenty of other great places in melbourne, so let me know of what type of place you are interested in and i'll try to make some other recommendations.

Thanks for the feedback aj. The European sounds more appropriate. (I'm looking for anywhere that i can go early evening or lunchtime that has a decent wine list and a quiet nook where I can stick a baby buggy, so I can try some of the good stuff I read about on this site that seems hard to get hold of in NZ. If you do have any other suggestions, they'd be gratefully received. Ta.

Gasman

Post by Gasman »

C'mon Wine Girl - nothing like a good little stoush over a subject we're all passionate about. :wink:

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Wine Girl wrote:Thanks, n4sir. I actually check visit the forum every day, but seem to work some people up too much when I post - especially Gasman. Best if I just keep my mouth shut.

No No! Half the fun of forums is finding people you can provoke into a reaction. We're mostly amateurs here, and far too polite, but that doesn't stop you having a little fun. Sometimes the most innocous post can lead to marvellously entertaining reading. The American wine boards are best at this - some participants positively foam at the mouth - but that doesn't mean we have to leave the field entirely to the experts. :)
One of my threads here was locked a few years ago when it took a decided turn to the nasty. It was hilarious!
cheers,
Graeme

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Bick wrote:(I'm looking for anywhere that i can go early evening or lunchtime that has a decent wine list and a quiet nook where I can stick a baby buggy, so I can try some of the good stuff I read about on this site that seems hard to get hold of in NZ. If you do have any other suggestions, they'd be gratefully received. Ta.

Hi Bick,

If you're able to travel a short distance outside the CBD, I highly recommend 'The Botanical' (http://www.thebotanical.com.au, 169 Domain Road South Yarra). They have great food and an absolutely stunning winelist. Just don't go further down Domain Rd to 'lynch's', they have a strict and somewhat contoversial 'no babies' policy. I can also recommend verge, which is on the corner of spring street and, i think, flinders lane (otherwise it's little collins). I'd recommend more, but its probably easier if whilst you're in melbourne you go to a book store and flip through a copy of 'the age good food guide' - they rate the best restaurants, and describe their wine lists.

I'll have to pick your brains if ever i come to NZ.

cheers,

Andrew

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Barney wrote:The Punch Lane wine bar just around the corner in little Bourke St is a good alternative but closes way before the supper club

I'm in total agreement about Punch Lane. I was taken there by work a few weeks ago and was totally rapt. The service, knowledge and variety was great. Even though I didn't pay, I know how much it cost and I thought it was worth every cent. Not over the top $ wise, but worth it.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Bick

Post by Bick »

aj_syrah wrote:I highly recommend 'The Botanical' (http://www.thebotanical.com.au, 169 Domain Road South Yarra).

Many thanks aj - the Botanical looks great. :)