NWR: Telemarketers

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Geoff

NWR: Telemarketers

Post by Geoff »

A topic that's been covered a few times, but near and dear to my heart. Thanks to the government, I now have a new technique which I have tried successfully.

Caller: blah blah blah (to the point where I work out it's not something I want)
Me: Are you aware of the new government "No Call Register"?
Caller: silence
Me: With this legislation you personally and your company can be fined for making unsolicited phone calls (OK playing around the point here, but offshore callers won't know this)
Caller: silence
Me: Hello, hello?

and finally hang up

:lol:

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Including evangelistic missionaries, the worst I've encountered lately are phone company door-to-door sellers. It's easy to hang up on telemarketers. To get shot of the last d-t-d seller of some Optus deal a few of evenings ago, I had to tell him that I'm soon to get ADSL2+, will use VOIP and , my monthly Telstra phone bill is low anyway as I don't make many phone calls, already have an ADSL connection so no dial-up charges. And, I'm not interested, I'm not interested, I'm not interested.........recurring as in pi. It took maybe 10 minutes to convince the young fool that he had nothing to offer me. Even before I move to ADSL2+ and VOIP, the deal was unsuitable to me. He beat a hasty retreat when the penny dropped and went off to harass others in my street.

Must've been desperate for a job I reckon.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

For d-t-d callers, I find having a security screen door works well, you can see them, but they can only vaguely see you and I don't unlock the screen door unless it's someone I know or need to let in such as the Aus Post guy delivering more wine. :-)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Red Bigot wrote:For d-t-d callers, I find having a security screen door works well, you can see them, but they can only vaguely see you and I don't unlock the screen door unless it's someone I know or need to let in such as the Aus Post guy delivering more wine. :-)

Amazing Brian. Whilst reading the above, I was thinking the same thing, and do the same. Delivery people welcome, others not.
MM.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Muscat Mike wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:For d-t-d callers, I find having a security screen door works well, you can see them, but they can only vaguely see you and I don't unlock the screen door unless it's someone I know or need to let in such as the Aus Post guy delivering more wine. :-)

Amazing Brian. Whilst reading the above, I was thinking the same thing, and do the same. Delivery people welcome, others not.
MM.

It works even better when you have a couple of large dogs barking when the doorbell rings and hanging around the door with you, making noises that could be either friendly or "let me at them". :-)
Cheers
Brian

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Just answer the door naked. That seems to work.
GW

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Gary W wrote:Just answer the door naked. That seems to work.
GW

Yeah but then you have to clean the vomit off the porch. :-(
Cheers
Brian

lantana

Post by lantana »

Red Bigot wrote:
GW

Hmmm, naked and vomiting, yeah that would probably get rid of most of them, I'll have to try that next time, of course it would have to be projectile, that way you could overshoot the porch and not have to clean it up. Oh for a naked, projectile vomiting emoticon right now :wink:

lantana

camw

Post by camw »

I find just saying "No thank you, goodbye" and then closing the door even if they try to say anything else works fine.
Last edited by camw on Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

lantana wrote:
Red Bigot wrote:
GW

Hmmm, naked and vomiting, yeah that would probably get rid of most of them, I'll have to try that next time, of course it would have to be projectile, that way you could overshoot the porch and not have to clean it up. Oh for a naked, projectile vomiting emoticon right now :wink:

lantana

Not his vomit, the vomit from the visitors when they see his naked form... :-(
Cheers
Brian

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

I find it is very effective if you commence the conversation with "I would first like to tell you about my personal saviour"

TORB

Post by TORB »

Living where I live, at the end of a dirt road of the beaten track, I don't get d-t-d visitors. :shock: :)
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Do your Australia Post people actually deliver wine? Mine just leave a note in the letterbox saying that nobody was home, even when I've been home all day.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Kieran wrote:

Do your Australia Post people actually deliver wine? Mine just leave a note in the letterbox saying that nobody was home, even when I've been home all day.

Kieran

Maybe we should start a new thread on wine delivery companies/personnel. I find Aus Post pretty good, especially when you develop a regular relationship due to frequent deliveries. The parcel/wine delivery guys are sub-contractors, so I guess you get a variety of quality of service. It's the postal side that can be a hassle, especially if the wine is damaged, getting the insurance payout is a lesson in mind-boggling bureaucratic incompetence.

It's the other companies that dump the wine at the front door, maybe ring the bell and then scamper off, even if no one is home and the box is clearly marked "Do not leave if unattended". :-(
Cheers
Brian

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Kieran wrote:Do your Australia Post people actually deliver wine? Mine just leave a note in the letterbox saying that nobody was home, even when I've been home all day.

Kieran

Kieran,
they have seen your naked body once and will never risk it again. Hence the letter box drop. :roll: :shock: :lol:
MM.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

My last lot from Langtons (delivered by Allied Express) was delivered to the same number in an entirely different street in his front driveway (on the thursday or Friday). I leave instructions where to deliver for Allied express as I can't receive stuff at work. Lucky for me the guy who got my wine was honest and actually drove around and dropped off the two cartons of wine to my door on the Saturday. I called Langtons on the Monday and they offered to take it all back if I was worried. None of the bottles had leaked but just to make sure I opened up one of the 1991 bin 407s - pretty good stuff.