My observations on SA vintages am I right?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
gbrawley

My observations on SA vintages am I right?

Post by gbrawley »

I have managed to accumulate a number of old vine South Australia shirazes. I am finding the 98s very approachable enjoying the 99s. Didnt buy many 2000s. The 2001s are mostly enjoyable. The 2002s are just not ready to drink even after a days decanting they seem too tannic or alcoholic dont know the taste as I am new to this. But had a 2002 Henrys Drive Reserve had a glass every night for three nights and the wine never seemed to come around. I have opened many 2002s and they are just not ready to drink it seems to me. After opening several wines, RWT, Tatiarra, Henrys Drive, Kay Brothers, etc they are just not ready so wondering when they will be ready any ideas?
Also I find the 03s very approachable mostly.
I am just wondering when to return to these old vine 02s appreciate any feedback from more seasoned shiraz wine lovers.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

GB, it's pretty hard to generalise as there are too many variables.

For me and the sort of cellaring sharaz I buy they tend to mostly hit their peak at around 8-10 yo for my tastes, some a bit sooner, some a bit later.

So I'm getting down to the last of my 94 Shiraz, had a Bests Bin O (Gt Western Vic) and an Edwards&Chaffey McLaren vale during the week and both were in excellent condition, on the plateau before decline to my taste.

I still have a lot of 96 Shiraz and some of them may outlive many of the 98's. which as you say are generally pretty enjoyable now and some of them won't improve much or at all from here, but will hold for a few years yet.

Due to the excesses of buying 98's I bought a lot less 99 shiraz, but there aren't too many of them that are hitting their peak yet.

Like you I bought few 2000 SA shiraz, Victoria, and WA scored much more buys that vintage.

I was also pretty wary of the hot 2001 vintage and bought relatively few SA Shiraz and not many of them will be hugely long-lived.

You'll get mixed reactions to the 2002 SA vintage, Gary W in particular doesn't seem to like it at all, but I bought quite a lot of 2002 SA Shiraz and I'm happy I did. Many of them I won't even look at until about 2008-2009. including the Kay Brothers (Block 6 and Hillside) and RWT on your list. I've never really enjoyed the Henry's Drive reds I've tried so never bought any. Which Tatiarra do you have? I thought they were all Heathcote (Victoria) except the Trademark which is a blend of Heathcote and McLarenVale.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

I'm with Brian - its pretty hard to generalise. Take 2002 in SA for instance, which is widely heralded as a brilliant vintage for the warmer regions (Barossa, McLaren, etc). Many believe that to be true, but some dont like it at all. I've had a surprising number of 2002 reds I didnt think were as good as they could be too, but there are some beauties to be had.

Coonawarra on the other hand seemed to do it tough and a lot of wines there are green and not very nice.

Your impressions are your impressions, and they are the ones that count,

cheers

Andrew

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

GB, a big factor is whether you like primary or secondary characteristics. My preference is for the latter, though I always like to drink a couple of bottles at a young age to see its evolution.

For my tastes, really good SA shiraz from 90 and 91 are now right in their drinking windows (though the weaker wines have probably fallen over), though the majority of mine are on the other side of the Pacific !!

As for the 02s, some finish hot, some verge on portiness, but I think the better labels from the Barossa will only start to hit their straps in 2011.