Mitolo Serpico Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pstarr

Mitolo Serpico Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Post by pstarr »

I had a bottle of the 2004 Mitolo Serpico Cabernet Sauvignon on Friday night and was amazed by it. For a wine that had all the fruit put through an amarone-style rack drying process, the vibrancy of the colour and fruit character surprised me a great deal. Couldn't quite find Campbell's "old condom filled with walnuts and chocolate" but agree wholeheartedly with his mid-90s score.

Anyone else on the list had this recently?

I'm thinking of putting together a selection of a few Australian uses of amarone processes for a small dinner. Aside from Primo Estate's "Moda" cabernet and the wines Brian Freeman has been making with varying amounts of dried Italian varietals, is anyone else in Australia doing interesting things with amarone techniques?
Paul.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Lenswood "The Palatine" uses some raisined grapes.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Torzi Matthews also.....from NZ Vin Alto

Dave

Handy

Post by Handy »

I think the Charles Melton Sotto di Ferro sticky uses an amarone type process. Very intense, very good, hard to find.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Had an 02 Serpico recently, and it was sensational. Best wine Ive drunk for ages. I have stocked up on the 04.
Bruce