Well blow me down; its that day of the week again...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Well blow me down; its that day of the week again...

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

It's Sunday again, time for your weekly drinking reports. Lists, notes, vibes are all welcome. Lurkers are especially invited to post their thoughts.

So what have you been drinking?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

2000 Dalwhinnie Cabernet
2002 Glaymond the Distance Shiraz

:twisted:
regards

Gavin Trott

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

2003 Paulett Polish Hill River Riesling (Screwcap): Two and a half years since my last bottle the wine has perhaps developed little quicker than I would have anticipated (in comparison to the 2003 Jeanneret), although there's still a lot of cellaring potential. Bright, light gold colour. The lemon/lime blosson is gone, replaced by tight hessian and a hint of toast, mineral and citrus/flowers in the background. There’s a burst of citrus and mineral on the entry of the tight yet powerful palate, followed by spicy/juicy apple/cider (as opposed to the green apples in its youth) which flows through to the long finish with some mineral, and a slightly nutty aftertaste.

2003 Kabminye Barossa Cabernet Shiraz (Screwcap): On the (rather hot) day when these arrived I cracked the screwcap on one of the interesting beasts Rick Glastonbury was talking about six months ago. Dark to inky red (maybe a bare hint of purple). Lifted mint/cassis and greens matched to very spicy and obvious oak, struck flint, vanilla, toast and coffee on the bouquet. The entry of the mid-weight palate was equally spicy, the cassis fruit quickly giving way to creamy vanilla/coffee oak and very dry/green tannins on the finish, with a touch of minty heat from the 14.5% alcohol. Maybe it was suffering a little travel and heat shock, but I have my doubts as to whether the fruit will ever match the tannins and heavy oak injection from those French barrels with the American innerstaves. Time will tell.

2004 Brown Bros. Special Late Harvest Orange Muscat & Flora (375ml): Pale straw/yellow. A very sweet and spicy nose of apricot blossom and ginger; the mid-weight palate opened with sweet peach/apricot, followed by a creamy and yet slightly chewy mid-palate, finishing with a cordial-like tang of apricot nectar on the aftertaste. A lighter-weight sticky, but a good match now for apricot-glazed bread & butter pudding.

2003 Kabminye Au Gold Muscat a Petit Grains Blanc (375ml - Screwcap): I opened one on Christmas Day for mum; she only had a glass, so I was able to drink the rest for just over a week. Pale yellow colour. On Chrismas Day it was quite closed, with tight lemon/citrus and some kerosene/dried herbs, and quite noticeable acidity on the finish. That acidity under screwcap held it in good stead over a week later, the bouquet developing spicy ginger/peach, dried flowers & nutty oak. The palate was more impressive, a deep entry of succulent lemon/orange marmalade fruit & oak, with some sweet/nutty coconut oak on the long finish matching that zesty acidity. On this form it will need serious cellar time to hit its peak.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

• 2003 Cave de Saumur Saumur-Champigny Les Poyeux - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (1/13/2006)
    Was looking for something different, and this definitely fit the bill! No notes, but I remember an intoxicating nose of flowers, redfruits and leather. The palate opened up after an hour to reveal medium bodied tobacco, leather, cherries, and cranberries. My first red Saumur-Champigny, and very interesting it was (100% cab franc). I'll grab another bottle or two of this excellent QPR wine ($21 CAD) for sure. (A-)
  • 1999 Max Ferd. Richter Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Middle Mosel (1/11/2006)
    I needed a wine for a pasta dish, so I popped this yesterday, and then it spent 24 hours in the fridge. Very light gold in color, with a great nose of stonefruits, mango, and wet slate. Nice pure flavours of nectarines, lime, minerals, peaches and green apples, with a lovely, slightly viscous texture, dry at first on the palate but then giving lingering sweetness on a long finish. A classy, well balanced kabinett drinking well now, and will last several more years. (A-)
  • 2001 Elderton Shiraz - Australia, South Australia, Barossa (1/10/2006)
    No notes, but I thought the oak levels were a bit off-putting. But there's enough fruit that hopefully the oak will disappate with another 2-3 years. Full bodied, smooth, with a hint of sweetness and lots of redfruits. (B+)
  • 1999 Rosemount Estate Traditional - Australia, South Australia, McLaren Vale (1/9/2006)
    Again, no notes, but this was a rich, smooth, medium-full bodied wine. Tasted more like a rhone blend (the GSM?) than a Bordeaux blend on the first night, but much improved on the second night. Nice texture and balance. Still some tannins and oak (tar notes, along with the blackfruits), so it will last a while yet, I would think. But very nice now! (B+/A-)
  • 2000 Langmeil Shiraz Valley Floor - Australia, South Australia, Barossa Valley (1/8/2006)
    Had a few days ago, so my memory is hazy. Quite enjoyable, though, despite the wonky vintage. Fairly rich, with plum and a hint of pepper. Solid wine (B+). (B+)
  • 1998 Château La Garde - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (1/8/2006)
    Very underwhelming on the first night, with fairly green flavours and not much else going for it. After a couple of days in the fridge, it had improved consdierably. Green olives, cherries, plums, and pine on a smooth, integrated palate. Drink soon. (B+)

Also had (but no notes) a Mitolo Riever 2001 that was very elegant and classy (A-/A) and a Chateau Reynella Basket Press Shiraz 1998 that was quite nice too, though it tightened up conssiderably after being opened for a while. Very nice, but needs more time (A-)?

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Not much for us this week, back at work and all. Although did have a couple more bottles of the '02 SOSS. For the price always impresses.

Had these at a restaurant last night in the city (impressions only):

2004 Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc - plenty of lemon and citrus on the palate, nice acidity, great mouthfeel, medium to long finish. Keep it well chilled and it will keep you very content!

2005 Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc - not as good as the '04. Touch more acid and less fruit.

2002 St Hugo Cabernet - first try of this vintage for me. Not sure if it was the food combination or just a bad bottle, but this defintiely was not your average St Hugo. Tad thin, watery. Not much fruit on the palate. Weak middle palate, and a average to medium finish. Overall very disappointed. Have a bottle in the cellar which I will open soon to see if this bottle was representative of the '02 release. Hopefully not, otherwise I will not be buying my yearly case of this label. Anybody else tried this yet??
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

GRB

Post by GRB »

Only 3 notables this week

2002 Water Wheel Bendigo Shiraz Purple in colour with pepper spices and plums on the nose. Palate follows with much of the same good acid balance and chalky tanins. Drank better on the second night and should improve for a couple more years. Good stuff :)

2002 Mitolo Jester Nice juice plenty of fruit, only had the one bottle from a tasting case. Will seek out some in the future. Although I may be up for a later vintage now.

2003 Redman Shiraz Brought alone by a friend to dinner nice enough and fairly typical Redman Shiraz but wasn't a touch on the Water Wheel. May have been a little green or just to young.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

2002 Glaetzer Shiraz
Black, dark ruby colour. Nose began with oodles of blackcurrant and blackberry, reinforced by mocha and chocolate. With time, the nose morphed slightly to include liquorice and tobacco, quite complex already. The chocolate and blackcurrant were prevalent on the palate, a generous mouthfeel and fine grained tannins proving to be very engaging. Very impressive.

2003 Jim Barry Cover Drive Cab Sauv
As reported on before, this is an agreeable style with a highly fruit concentrated nose, oak to match, and soft, berry flavours on the palate. Finishes a little boldly, but altogether a half decent quaffer.

2003 Zilzie Cab Sauv - as always, representing excellent value. Cassis dominates the nose, the structure sound and the length quite substantial.
2003 Zilzie Pinot Gris - a brawny nose flexing stonefruit in what was more varietally correct of chardonnay. Acid is just a little domineering, but enjoyable nonetheless.
2004 Villa Maria Cellar Selection Riesling - almost undrinkable, this had so much acid that my nose hairs were singed when attempting to smell it. Out of balance and very disappointing.
2002 Graffigna Malbec - earthy aromas with brambly forest fruits on the nose and palate. Very approachable now with tannins that need another 12 months to completely integrate. This Argentinian red is the diamond in the rough when it comes to roaming the bottom shelves at the local supermarkets over here.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

cranky

Post by cranky »

Some impressions of the evening whilst still under the influence, so apologies if required...

Cullens Chardonnay 1998 Mmmmmm, buttery, nutty, long and with a nice light acid bite at the end. Hints of rockmelon and pawpaw(?). Damn fine.

Ben Glatzer Godolphin shiraz/cab 2004 Scored some yesterday, and thought I should sacrifice one to see what the fuss was about. Whoa! Very young, very purple, bright intense fruit, solid legs in the glass, very drinkable, but just seemed like vinfanticide. I think I will have to leave the other two for quite a while before trying again. Got one Amon Ra too, definitely not approaching for a long time.

Noon's Eclipse 2002 Decanted (as advised on the label), still strong on alcohol on the nose, somewhat porty on the palate. Very nice, but I am a bit upset to say, not quite what I was hoping for. Is this the Parkerised style? Oh well, I will stick to JO's recommendations for the future. :wink:

gbrawley

Post by gbrawley »

Enjoyed a 1998 Jim Barry McRae Wood last night had two of these the past month and really enjoyed them both. Guess this is why I decided to collect Aussy wines, just love the shirazes when they get a few years on them .
I live in a seasonal community in California where the cabs are the most common vinos. Most californians equate shiraz with yellow tail and I always enjoy the comments when I open an old vine shiraz in a group of people who have only tasted the low end grocery store shirazes. :lol:

simm

Post by simm »

Andrew Jordan wrote:Not much for us this week, back at work and all. Although did have a couple more bottles of the '02 SOSS. For the price always impresses.
Yup pretty good QPR

2002 St Hugo Cabernet - first try of this vintage for me. Not sure if it was the food combination or just a bad bottle, but this defintiely was not your average St Hugo. Tad thin, watery. Not much fruit on the palate. Weak middle palate, and a average to medium finish. Overall very disappointed. Have a bottle in the cellar which I will open soon to see if this bottle was representative of the '02 release. Hopefully not, otherwise I will not be buying my yearly case of this label. Anybody else tried this yet??
I've heard this a lot, well from nearly everyone except the bottle shops selling it. Doubt I'll be going near it unless I get to test drive first.
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

cranky wrote:Noon's Eclipse 2002 Decanted (as advised on the label), still strong on alcohol on the nose, somewhat porty on the palate. Very nice, but I am a bit upset to say, not quite what I was hoping for. Is this the Parkerised style? Oh well, I will stick to JO's recommendations for the future. :wink:

The Eclipse isn't really to my taste either, although I've yet to try one with a bit of age, might be time to try a 2000, that's the oldest I have. I much prefer the Shiraz and Cabernet.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

TORB

Post by TORB »

Red Bigot wrote:The Eclipse isn't really to my taste either,

This is one of those times where our taste diverges; I actually like the Eclipe, sometimes more than the Shiraz.

Speaking of good Grenache and Grenache blends, last night I tried the Burge Family 2004 Garnacha and the D & OH. Both are terrific wines, well made, well balanced, ample weight, full the mouth completely and finish long.

Well **** me! :shock: I actually drnak the Garnacha and loved it, :oops: full of savoury flavours and as far away from lolly water as it is possible to get. Went well with the Cajan chook too. Both also get **** for value. Full TN's to follow.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Spent a week on the beach. Very hot and the reds were a waste.

95 & 96 Balmoral. Bargain of the auction scene at $30 plus.

98 Moppa Springs- appreciate this old Barossan style of GSM. Rustic.

Brick Klin 04 shiraz- like port in the heat. Probably hedonistic in winter.

LEAS 01- not a great environment for chardonnay. The hot beach that is.

98? Thomson's Family shiraz- Solid.

98 Best's C/S- great varietal nose. Austere palate.

Langi 97 shiraz- heat brought out distracting brett.

Fox Creek Reserve shiraz 97- boysenberry ice cream when decanted and left in the wine fridge. Some have written this vintage off. I dispute.

Meerea Park Terracotta shiraz 02?- These wines are very good. Heat brought out some dirty, earthy. Leather notes.

A bunch of Kiwi S/B's which weren't bad- Palliser 04 the best. I didn't like it's under ripeness on release, but after a year, going great guns.

La Barbarine 01 Cote Rotie- a real black cat wine for mine. Took the heat better than the Ossies. Nice bloke the winemaker too- for those who may venture to that part.

Gregoire

Post by Gregoire »

Had bottle number five of my six Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 1997s yesterday, accompanied by steamed seafood dumplings. Well, what a cracker of a wine, and what a pity the previous four to date have been so ordinary. Clearly, four out of five so far have been faulty. I have posted re the previous four before.

Tasting note - couldn't put it better than Cranky's post re the Cullen 1998 Chard on this thread - that's how the Leeuwin was.

Lovely. I have one more. Hope it's like number five and not like the first four!
Let the kids out!

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

These were at dinner at home with some friends last night, so I wasnÂ’t so analytical as I might otherwise beÂ…

1996 Louis Sipp Kirchberg du Ribeauville Riesling (Alsace)
A chance buy at a Hobart wine shop in 2004 pays off in a big way! Even at 10 years old this is only mid straw at best. The nose is a glorious blend of apple-like fruits, mineral sophistication and laser-like intensity. Neither big nor oily on the palate, this sparkles with freshness and vitality, sweet ripe fruit, coherent structure and a dry finish. Just medium weight (at 12.5%), the finish is wonderfully persistent. Absolutely outstanding riesling.

1996 Louis Jadot Vosne Romanee (Burgundy)
Still quite a deep glowing red, this offers a fairly restrained nose of earth-tinged undergrowth. ThereÂ’s some fruitiness, and gentle developed flavours on the palate. Not much tannin in evidence on the palate, and the bouquet grows ever sweeter as the wine blooms in the glass. Lovely velvety finish, and although not the last work in sophistication itÂ’s a very satisfying drink.

2001 Providence Vineyards ‘Miguet’ Reserve Pinot Noir (Tamar Valley)
An interesting contrast to the Vosne. IÂ’ve been keen to try this label since I saw Halliday give an earlier vintage (the Â’99) 97 points in an old Companion. The wine is still quite a deep red; the nose has strong ripe fruity aromas, classy dark cherry and game, with subtle oak tones. The palate is cleaner and fruiter than the Burgundy, but itÂ’s a good match for sophistication, smoothness and all-round weight. Not especially tannic either, this wine is drinking beautifully now.

2000 Cullen RobinsonÂ’s Riesling 375ml (Margaret River)
This wine was another surprise packet. Intensely disappointing when last tasted in 2003 (thin, disjointed and almost metallic) this has deepened several few shades of yellow, and now offers rich candied honey aromas. There’s no botrytis evident, just sweet riesling fruit. The sweetness is carried quite well by the acid, and even with the richness of the texture the finish is clean and fresh. At 8%, probably one of the lowest alcohol wines made in this country. May hold for a few more years yet – will be interesting to see what becomes of this.

All wines hitting the bullÂ’s-eye certainly makes for a good dinnerÂ…

Cheers,
Graeme

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

Cascabel is one of my favourite wineries and in the last few years I've enjoyed more than my share of their wines - BUT :

2002 Cascabel Shiraz ( stelvin ) : Procured this from a well regarded bottle shop in Adelaide as it was on special. I found this particular bottle to be so Bretty that it brought to mind that perhaps an unwell dog had been siphoning its farts into this wine. I last had this vintage of this wine more than a year ago and it was fine I thought. Perhaps the storage in the shop had not helped ? I wonder about bottle shops really - I'd prefer if they were all say 12 degrees C - it should be a slightly uncomfortable place to go into ideally - they all seem the same temp as an office - more like say 23 degrees C. Sort of looking forward to the few stray older Cascabels I have in storage.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

JamieBahrain wrote:
98? Thomson's Family shiraz- Solid.

Wow must have been hot, this wine is stunning, almost as good as the 2001 Thompson Family will become!
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

A waste in the heat and wasn't my bottle.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Pelican,

According to Ant, this wine is very stinky upon opening and needs a good decant; normally once that has happened it will be fine; but if there is Brett, especially if heat is involved, it will not blow off.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

TORB wrote:Pelican,

According to Ant, this wine is very stinky upon opening and needs a good decant; normally once that has happened it will be fine; but if there is Brett, especially if heat is involved, it will not blow off.

I will certainly give Cascabel wines a big decant in the future. I was sort of loathe to criticise Cascabel as I've liked their wines a lot in the last few years but on this bottle I was starting to wonder if they are one of the wineries who have perhaps overstepped the mark as far as " non interventionist " winemaking goes which results in complexity early on but then the downsides of this emerge with time. But I'm still not sure.

I've only a few older Cascabel Shiraz and Grenache et al in the cellar so no big deal but will be interesting to see how they go as they have been cellared properly. Although I'm not intending to access the off site cellar until April !

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

AJ,

TWO SB's ???!!! Anything else you care to come clean about ? Next you're going to tell us you put ice cubes in the St Hugo !

Cheers

Mike

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Mike Hawkins wrote:AJ,

TWO SB's ???!!! Anything else you care to come clean about ? Next you're going to tell us you put ice cubes in the St Hugo !

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

A moment of weakness .... although those Kiwi's do make some very good SB! :shock:

No ice cubes in the St Hugo yet although the '02 definitely needs something added to it ... possibly some quality grapes. :?
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

markg

Post by markg »

cranky wrote:Noon's Eclipse 2002 Decanted (as advised on the label), still strong on alcohol on the nose, somewhat porty on the palate. Very nice, but I am a bit upset to say, not quite what I was hoping for. Is this the Parkerised style? Oh well, I will stick to JO's recommendations for the future. :wink:

Was it a warm day ? Personally, I find the 2002 and 2004 very balanced, sure very alcoholic, but the fruit balances it out. However, I have had the 2002 and a few 2000's on quite warm days and found I did not like them at all with the fruit dissapearing under the alcohol with definate portiness showing through. Definately not a summer quaffer.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

cranky

Post by cranky »

Actually, yes, it was warm.
I have just had the last glass-and-a bit from the bottle left vacuumed in the fridge for a few days... much nicer to drink while slightly cool, getting a bit harsher as it gets back up to 25C.
I am glad I have one more bottle to try again during winter a few years down the track.

Incidently, I made an even bigger mistake by trying to share a 94 Jack Mann with some friends over from the UK around New Years 2002... it was still 30ish at 10pm, and the Jack was REALLY hard to drink. Should have put in an ice cube or two! Jack would have approved.

Phil Wilkins

Post by Phil Wilkins »

2003 Les Vins de Vienne Cote Rotie ‘Les Essartailles’

IÂ’ve tried really hard with this Northern Rhone negociant outfit (Yves Cuilleron, Pierre Gaillard & Francois Villard) with their range of nicely packaged wines. Until this spectacular beauty none have really, if at all, have hit the spot.

Deep ruby/purple to the eye, and it follows with the spectacular & fundamental purity of the noble Syrah grape. Certainly not just a big, sweaty, over-alcoholic wine from an insanely hot vintage but one of black & red fruits, olives & bacon following with smoothness, earthiness, minerality, good depth & complexity with less oak than found in other vintages of this wine. If this negociant wine from such a superb northern Rhone vintage shows such promise the God help me when I get to try this style of wine from the big major producers! Ends with poise & a magnificent finish. Sensational value at £19.99. 13.5%abv. 93/100

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Phil,

I share your thoughts - there are some smart wines coming onto the market. I can't wait for the 2003 vintage big guns from the Northern Rhone to be released. I've got Chapoutier Le Pavillon, L'Ermite and Le Meal on order (outrageously expensive though !). I just wish I could afford more.

The La La's probably wont be out for a couple more years though. Apparently release pice will be almost USD500 pb !

Mike

simm

Post by simm »

2003 Wynns Johnsons Block Shiraz Cabernet - A brilliant tightly closed red rose in colour. The aroma is all super-confected redskins in the decanter to cherry-ripe in the glass. It's almost an unnatural aroma only just controlled by a shaving of timber. The oak jumps up a bit on the front palate but sinks under a medium weight mid palate of red cherry, rhubarb and a crush of spearmint. It's medium length earthy back palate does have a green tannic fibre running through it but it isn't too distracting. Although obviously disjointed now, and shaped more like a Merlot, it may well relax into a pleasantly unusual and refreshing aperitif style ;) Shiraz Cabernet. 89/100 (points lost in the sickly sweet nose.)
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"