Hypothetical...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
grasshopper

Hypothetical...

Post by grasshopper »

Ok, here is the situation. Your entire wine collection has been destroyed due to some sort of natural disaster. You weren't insured and so will have to start from scratch.

1. What are the first two wines that you buy to kick start your new cellar? (6 pack of each)

2. What are the first two wines you buy to drink now? (6 pack of each)

3. What are your choices if your budget was only up to $30 per bottle?

Being the "grasshopper" of this forum, I am interested in your choices as it may help me decide which wines I should look at to increase my cellar.
Last edited by grasshopper on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Grasshopper,

Interesting Scenario ... but totally unrealistic as a true wino would not put these kind of limitations on him/herself. :shock:

Looking through my cellar right now, and trying to decide what to purchase as a first off purchase is quite difficult. But for me the following choices would be made (I have assumed that we can only limit out choices to wine available NOW for $30):

Wine to cellar

- x1 six-pack 2001 Voyager Cabernet Merlot (screwcap)
- x1 six-pack 2003 Majella Cabernet (screwcap)

Wine to Drink Now

- x1 six-pack 2002 Mamre Brook Cabernet (can still pick this vintage up in shops around town)
- x1 six-pack 2001 Junipier Estate Cabernet (can find this under $30 at a few retailers)

Both of these drinking very well right now!

As you can see, definitely lean towards cabernet.

Otherwise, if I could not decide, I would just call Gavin to make me up a x2 12 bottle tasting packs of 4 different anonymous bottles of red. Easy. :D
Last edited by Andrew Jordan on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Andrew Jordan wrote:totally unrealistic as a true wino would not put these kind of limitations on him/herself. :shock:

Obviously, I am only an apprentice wino as yet. Give me a few years and I will graduate.

I have editted the original post by adding that you would be buying a 6 pack of each wine not single bottles. Sorry for this confusion.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

If that happened to me right now and I could only buy what you suggested, I'd be buying a six pack of the Rockford BP and 3 each of the Noons reserve cab and shiraz. Mainly because those mailers have just arrived.

But realistically, like AJ said, I'd just be buying what I actually ordered, which was pretty well up to my limits on most of the Noons and Rockford wines. And I am insured!

For now drinking, it would be 6 Rockford Alicant Bouchet and 6 Cloudy Bay Sav Blancs. At another time of the year it would be 6 Seppelt shiraz and probably 6 Seppelt Chalambar or 6 02 Peter Lehmann Cab Savs or the 02 Mamre Brook Cab Sav but that's not so easy to find right now.

If the budget was only $30 for cellaring, The Noons could stay or increase and I might add Grosset Polish Hill (just over $30) or Seppelt Drumborg.

If I could still find it, under the unlimited cellar purchase, I'd also be looking at the new Seppelt St Peters and Benno.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Well I didn't get much response from this one so I did some deeper research and have purchased some "drink now" wines for under $20.00.

I got:

3 x Mr Riggs The Gaffer Shiraz 2004
3 x Majella The Musician 2004
6 x Heartland Shiraz 2004

I know these are generally quaffers for most of you but I don't generally spend more than $20.00 due to me being at uni this year and relying on my wife's school teacher wage.

Anyway, I hope they turn out alright. I'm always appreciative of any other under $20.00 gems also.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Andrew,

You should be happy with both of these. Good wines for the price, and both screwcapped as well I think (not sure on the Heartland :? ). Another one which is around $17-20 that you should look out for, although hard to find now, is the 2004 Kalleske Clarry's Red. Beautiful Grenache/Shiraz blend, also screwcapped. :D The 2005 will be out early next year so maybe wait until this one is released.
Cheers
AJ

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Andrew Jordan wrote:

Another one which is around $17-20 that you should look out for, although hard to find now, is the 2004 Kalleske Clarry's Red. Beautiful Grenache/Shiraz blend, also screwcapped. :D The 2005 will be out early next year so maybe wait until this one is released.

Thanks Andrew,

I will definately keep my eye out for that one. I have read some other reviews praising it also. The screwcaps are also desirable due to my less than perfect cellaring conditions. I figure this will reduce the need for stable humidity somewhat.

Cheers,
AB

beef

Post by beef »

Andrew Jordan wrote:

Andrew,

You should be happy with both of these. Good wines for the price, and both screwcapped as well I think (not sure on the Heartland :? ). Another one which is around $17-20 that you should look out for, although hard to find now, is the 2004 Kalleske Clarry's Red. Beautiful Grenache/Shiraz blend, also screwcapped. :D The 2005 will be out early next year so maybe wait until this one is released.

The Heartland Shiraz and Cabernet are sealed with cork :( Wonderful wines though, especially the Cabernet.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Beef,

Must agree with you. I have had a bottle of both and the Cabernet is definitely the stand out, with the Shiraz not far behind.
Cheers
AJ