Best way to store wines when you don't have a cellar?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
grasshopper

Best way to store wines when you don't have a cellar?

Post by grasshopper »

Hello All,

I have stumbled across these forums recently and have enjoyed reading some expert commentary. I am a relative novice in all things wine but would like to develop my expertise (and my collection) over the next few years.

My first question then is in regards to storing my wines. I live on a single-level house in Sydney's south-west with no obvious cellar in place. Therefore, what sort of location would you recommend for me to store my wines that I wish to keep for a few years. Someone once told me the middle of the house would be best to reduce temperature variability. Are there any other suggestions?

I really appreciate your expert advice.

Christo

Post by Christo »

what type of house? double-brick, brick-veneer?

c
"You are what u drink!"

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

If the wines will be consumed in the next year or two, then you probably could get away with a cupboard or some part of the house not copping the westerley sun. But this is far from perfect. If however you continue collecting (it is a disease :twisted: ) you will fast realise you want to look after your treasures.

A wine cabinet is a fast solution. There are many brands, and I'm sure others can suggest good names. They hold anything from 24 to 120 bottles at a constant temp and humidity. Alternatively one of a number of offsite storage facilities will take your wine and money.

A Sydney summer is not a good environment to look after your wine.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Grasshopper,

Another option is to rent space at a professional wine storage facility. I personally store some of my wine with Kennards. They have differing size lockers, depending on the size of your collection, and the environment is ideal for long term wine storage - stable temperature and suitable humidity.

The only disadvantage of storing your wines off-site though is it is a hassle to get at them when you need a bottle. :cry: But then again, it does help to stop you from drinking your collection too quickly as well. :P

Kennards web-site can be found here if you are interested. I see they have wine storage locations at Camperdown, Rozelle and Waterloo. Not sure if these are close to you or not.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The home I am in is brick veneer but is relatively cool due to a large pergola that blocks the westerly sun from hitting any windows. I currently have my wine stored in the back of a cabinet. The cabinet actually has two compartments - front and back, divided by a hinged timber barrier. The front of the cabinet is used to store cds etc while I store my wine in the back section. Hence, the wine does not ever receive any light whatsoever unless I go to retrieve a bottle (which is rare as I keep my weekly "house wine" in the kitchen).

I will check out some of the suggestions such as Kennards and wine cabinets and way up the cost to benefit ratio of using these options. My current wine collection is not necessarily extensive nor expensive and so the back of the cabinet may work best until I finish uni, start earning better money, and purchase better quality wine.

Thanks again,
Andrew

KMP

Post by KMP »

Even most secure off-site storage facilities are not problem free. This is one reason to think seriously about insurance for a valuable wine collection. Apart from personal collections, some wineries had library collections and even wine from recent vintages stored in this facility.

Mike

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Mike,

Totally agree. It doesn't matter where you store your wine, make sure that it is fully insured. That way if something does happen you can go on the biggest wine shopping experience of a life-time with the insurance money and replace your collection. :D
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!