Is the 02 Fox Creek Res Shz as good as the 2001?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
gbrawley

Is the 02 Fox Creek Res Shz as good as the 2001?

Post by gbrawley »

I really enjoyed the 01 Fox creek reserve shiraz was wondering if the 02 is as good? any tasting notes. thanks

TORB

Post by TORB »

Fox Creek 2002 Reserve Shiraz SA2004 sells for $70 at CD and I was anxious to try it as I had already picked up a six-pack on special. The wine has been matured in 30% New French oak, which is a departure from the 100% American oak used in the past. Dark purple in colour, the wine has a very complex bouquet and is the sort of wine that is a joy to sniff. A three-punch wine, a left hook with good mouth feel which is followed by a right cross that is backed by great fruit and an uppercut with perfect construction; a knock-out wine! Rich, ripe fruit of spice, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, blackberry, mint and coffee are able supported by “tree climbing” tannins that builds to a strong mid palate and very long finish. Muscular in weight, the wine has a rock of Gibraltar construction that is still tight; the complexity is sophisticated and there was no visible heat despite its 15% alcohol. Some real class and refinement at work here and the wine should be long lived. Rated as Excellent with **** for value (based on the street price), the rating should improve as the wine matures around 2011+.

Fox Creek 2001 Reserve Shiraz SA2003 - Sells for $65 at CD. I tried the 2000 totally blind and wasnÂ’t very impressed with it although there was nothing wrong with it, it just wasnÂ’t worth the money. The 2001 is a different keg of powder so to speak. Bouquet is highly complex and full on with lashing of dark fruit (liquorice plums etc,) vanilla, spice and all things nice.

On the palate there are two things that stick out like canine testicles on this wine. The first is the magnificent mouth feel created by the ultra fine grained unobtrusive dusty tannins and strong deep persistent fruit that flow across the tongue with huge amounts of liquorice, plums, chocolate and spicy flavours without heavy extraction. The second is the rock solid layered structure with full body weight and intricate developed sophisticated complexity. ItÂ’s delicious now but should continue to improve till about 2007 and is rated as Excellent (with room to improve as it matures) with **** for value at $58 if you are a cellar door club member.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by 707 »

I liked both the 2001 and 2002. There were some good prices around on these if you shopped around.

Don't hesitate, buy the 2002.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Post by Guest »

01 better

Post by Guest »

01 better

TORB

Post by TORB »

Anonymous wrote:01 better

Now maybe, but in the long term, the 02 will shine brighter.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by Guest »

Agree with TORB....much better structure in the 'O2 though the '01 offers more instant gratification.
Thank gawd they have sorted their oak regime out.........

Noel

Reserve Shiraz

Post by Noel »

Had a 2002 Reserve with Rolf Binder at Vintners last week and it was very hard, and at this stage charmless. Only marginally better was a Kalleske 2003 Shiraz. Another that is hard and lacking texture. Must be in a hole but not a patch on the stunning 2002.
2 half bottles left says it all.
I think the Fox Creek 2001 is a better wine and i think that 2001 was a much better vintage in McLaren Vale than 2001, born out in almost every wine i have tasted. Kay's Hillside and Block 6. Dead Arm etc

TORB

Re: Reserve Shiraz

Post by TORB »

Noel wrote:Had a 2002 Reserve with Rolf Binder at Vintners last week and it was very hard, and at this stage charmless. Only marginally better was a Kalleske 2003 Shiraz. Another that is hard and lacking texture. Must be in a hole but not a patch on the stunning 2002.

Noel,

Sorry, this is a little ambigious, can you please explain. Do you mean the 03 Kalleske was hard and lacking in texture as well as the 02 FC Reserve?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by Guest »

I love the extra fruit sweetness in the 01s myself.