Noticed a different nose in 99 RWT to any before

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
gbrawley

Noticed a different nose in 99 RWT to any before

Post by gbrawley »

I have collected most vintages of Penfolds RWT and 707 and last night I opened my first 99 RWT. Noticed a very green odor much different than the 97 or 98. Not the barnyard I get out of some old world wines or musty odor. I bought a case because of Jeremy Olivers high rating but now wondering about this vintage I have had before on many occasions. I am certainly not a wine expert but started collecting aussie shirazes after our first trip to your beautiful country.

Post by Guest »

99 RWT has a cherried spiciness to it, which almost makes it seem like a cool climate wine, rather than one of the joys of south australia. It also has french oak, rather than american, and in this wine in particular, this seems to have given the wine a quite different complexion - it's heresy to say it, but sometimes the difference between french and american oak isn't that great, particularly if the american oak has been really well coopered, and well seasoned. But that's getting off the point a bit: I've had a few bottles of this lately and I haven't noticed any strange aromas, but I have noticed how much spicy, twiggy aroma it's got. I think it's a good wine, but not a great wine. I think it will be a more interesting wine to drink in about 3 or 4 years - it's in transition at the moment.

hope that rambling reply is of some help.

Campbell.

www.winefrontmonthly.com.au