Blacktongues do Grenache

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Blacktongues do Grenache

Post by 707 »

Hi everyone, if you were expecting a set of tasting notes then look no further because I only noted scores and what I liked.

This was a follow up to our Grenache blends tasting last week and I preferred the better straight(ish) Grenache of this week to last weeks Grenache blends.

A capacity house of Blacktongues for this tasting with several reserves disappointed at not getting a start. Wines were mulled over for a hour before voting on a Best Wine, Next Best (2nd & 3rd) and a Least Preferred basis. Mostly current or pre release 2003 vintage wines with a few 2002 stars thrown in as benchmarks.

2002 Yangarra Park - 0 Best, 5 Next, 0 Least
2003 Glaymond - 3 Best, 4 Next, 0 Least
2002 d'Arenberg Derelict - 0 Best, 0 Next, 6 Least
2002 Wirra Wirra - 2 Most, 0 Next, 1 Least
2003 Noon Eclipse - 3 Most, 3 Next, 0 Least
2002 Foggo Road - 0 Best, 5 Next, 0 Least
2003 Burge Family Garnarcia - 3 Most, 7 Next, 0 Least
2003 Grenock Creek - 0 Best, 0 Next, 10 Least (oxidation fault)
2003 Schrarz Thiele Road - 3 Most, 3 Next, 0 Least
2003 Kalleske Old Vine - 3 Most, 7 Next, 0 Least

I worked my way down to four that were difficult to seperate and in no particular order, all excellent examples of Grenache, Glaymond, Noon Eclipse, Schwarz and Kalleske. Impressive wines I'll be adding to the 707 cellar.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Gavin Trott

Re: Blacktongues do Grenache

Post by Gavin Trott »

707 wrote:Hi everyone, if you were expecting a set of tasting notes then look no further because I only noted scores and what I liked.

This was a follow up to our Grenache blends tasting last week and I preferred the better straight(ish) Grenache of this week to last weeks Grenache blends.

A capacity house of Blacktongues for this tasting with several reserves disappointed at not getting a start. Wines were mulled over for a hour before voting on a Best Wine, Next Best (2nd & 3rd) and a Least Preferred basis. Mostly current or pre release 2003 vintage wines with a few 2002 stars thrown in as benchmarks.

I worked my way down to four that were difficult to seperate and in no particular order, all excellent examples of Grenache, Glaymond, Noon Eclipse, Schwarz and Kalleske. Impressive wines I'll be adding to the 707 cellar.

Hi Steve

Interesting reading.

A couple of points.

First, they are all smaller boutique makers the best 4.

Second, all 2003 vintage. While this does not make 2003 a great SA vintage, it does mean really good wines were made in 2003 (albeit not by all producers).
regards

Gavin Trott

KMP

Post by KMP »

Thought I would dredge up my TNs on the Kalleske Grenache. The 2002 was tasted here in California, while the 2003 and the 2004 were tasted at the “winery” under Tyson’s unerring eye while Troy did the pouring. I swear the size of that dog did not intimidate me!!! I find it a very consistent style, and a really excellent wine.

The 2004 Old Vines Grenache was cherry red and very open with rich spice and confectionary notes backed up by ripe red berry fruits. Medium bodied with excellent mouthfeel, pronounced but refreshing acidity and a prolonged finish. A lovely wine, and one to watch out for it. (2, 2, 4.6, 10.6 = 19.2/20). (Barrel sample)

The 2003 Old Vines Grenache had more pepper and mint than the 2004 and was softer on the palate. It is another beauty, with great balance and a long finish. (2, 2, 4.4, 10.6 = 19.0/20).

Kalleske Old Vine Grenache (Basket Pressed) 2002 $54.99USD
Dark cherry red with red edge. An intense floral note that quickly faded to eucalyptus, pepper and blackberries, plus a host of other complex aromas. In the mouth itÂ’s a medium weight wine with acidity that dances across the palate to merge with equally evident firm tannins backing up the finish. This is a wine that is a delight to hold in the mouth while gently sucking in air over the wine and breathing out through the nose. An outstanding example of grenache. After 24 hours there was licorice and black fruits and that finish just lingers and lingers. At 48 hours the wine was showing just the faintest hint of getting a little tired. 2, 2, 4.7, 10.3 = 19.0/20. 15.5% alcohol. Tasted September 18-20, 2004.

Mike

Post by 707 »

Good point Gavin, I'm sure my view on the wine world is well known, for some time now I've believed the small makers are making the best wine which is why my cellar is heavily weighted towards these guys with little corporate wine finding a home there now.

Are other Red Bigot types finding something similar happening in their cellars?

On vintages, I hate vintage generalisations as even in "lesser" vintages some very fine wines are made, but again by the small producers, particularly those that are great vinticulturalists or have a very special patch of ground or both!

I've already bought a number of 2003 wines and will buy alot more as I discover the gems, like the four Grenache mentioned although they are mostly very hard to source funnily enough!
Cheers - Steve

Post by Guest »

I suspected 03 might well have had some Gems during my trip to SA earlier in the year. Good to hear my palate isnt that strange after all.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Interesting to see the 2003 Noons Eclipse did a lot better in the straight Grenache line-up compared to the GSMs last week where the panel ranked it 8th out of the 10 wines.

As a comparison to last week the votes would have resulted in the following panel rankings:

=1st place. 2003 Kalleske Old Vine & 2003 Burge Family Garnarcia
3rd place. 2003 Glaymond
=4th place. 2003 Noons Eclipse & 2003 Scharz Thiele Road
=6th place. 2002 Yangara Park & 2002 Foggo Old Vine
8th place. 2002 Wirra Wirra
9th place. 2002 d'Arenberg Derelict Vineyard
10th place. 2003 Greenock Creek

If the Greenock Creek was faulty, why wasn't it removed from the panel voting?

Cheers
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Maximus

Re: Blacktongues do Grenache

Post by Maximus »

707 wrote:Hi everyone, if you were expecting a set of tasting notes then look no further because I only noted scores and what I liked.

Steve,

I echo the sentiments of everyone regarding the d'Arenberg Derelict Vineyard Grenache. Pretty average stuff. Any particular reason (besides it being a favourite) the Noon Eclipse was included as a Grenache/Shiraz blend in a Grenache varietal lineup? Was there any consideration given to sourcing some of the Solaire?

By the way, have you tried Drew's Solaire? I'm looking to source some on the secondary market and I'm not sure whether the extra bucks for the '98 are worthwhile, or if I should settle on the '02 for my first taste...

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Post by 707 »

Max, it is a favourite so why not try it again?

The 2002 is as good as any Eclipse so far so grab any you can.

The best value at auction is the 2000 which drinks really well now but suffers from the perception that 2000 is an "off" vintage. I know it's a current favourite of Drew Noon.

Ian, I left the GC in the lineup so I had something to vote last!
Cheers - Steve

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Steve,

Sorry to confuse, but I meant the Solaire (his 100% Grenache in a 500ml bottle) when talking about the '98 vs '02 vintage and purchasing on the secondary market...

Thanks for the info re the Eclipse though, will scout the 2000...

Max.
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Post by 707 »

Max, can't speak with any authority about the Solaire, I always try it at release but have trouble coming to grips with it. Given it's the same fruit as the Eclipse, albeit a bit riper, I'd go the either the 1998 or 2002 which from memory are similar prices at auction although rarely seen.

Keep a eye on Oddbins & Wickmans here in Adelaide and Langtons in Melb & Sydney as the most likely places they'll pop up.
Cheers - Steve

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Steve,

Agree with your sentiments. I am buying very little of Southcorp, Fosters and Constellation's stuff these days, perhaps because to my palate, many are too homogenised. The "little guys" provide an excitement factor that makes them interesting.

Cheers

Mike

Handy

Post by Handy »

707 wrote:Max, it is a favourite so why not try it again?

The 2002 is as good as any Eclipse so far so grab any you can.

The best value at auction is the 2000 which drinks really well now but suffers from the perception that 2000 is an "off" vintage. I know it's a current favourite of Drew Noon.

Ian, I left the GC in the lineup so I had something to vote last!

I think the perception about 2000 being an off vintage is exaggerated with regard to McLaren Vale. It was actually better than 1999 for many wineries IMHO. I think generally we forget that McLaren Vale can be quite different to the Barossa in vintage conditions.

Thanks for your summary of the tasting, I'd like to give the Burge Family a go.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Handy wrote:I think the perception about 2000 being an off vintage is exaggerated with regard to McLaren Vale. It was actually better than 1999 for many wineries IMHO. I think generally we forget that McLaren Vale can be quite different to the Barossa in vintage conditions.

Handy,

I have tried countless 99's and 00's from McLaren Vale and whilst there are some good 00's, in my experience generally speaking, in the vast majority of cases the 99's are better.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

707 wrote:Good point Gavin, I'm sure my view on the wine world is well known, for some time now I've believed the small makers are making the best wine which is why my cellar is heavily weighted towards these guys with little corporate wine finding a home there now.

Are other Red Bigot types finding something similar happening in their cellars?

Absolutely! Very little from the majors went into my cellar over the last 12 months. About 16% from big producers covering 95+% of Australian wine.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

707 wrote:Are other Red Bigot types finding something similar happening in their cellars?

I look for the smaller producer and other medium (O'Leary/Walker size) that produce wines with character. A wine that reflects the winemakers skills and the season variations. I don't prefer to drink wine that is the same year after year.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the notes.....

Have you tried Torbrecks 'Les Ami''??

Two Hands are releasing a old vine Grenache later in the year, I'll hopefully get get to try it from barrel before I leave the Barossa......several others are releasing straight old vine Grenaches ......there is some great old fruit in the Barossa......

Cheers

Dave

Post by 707 »

Hi Dave, no, haven't tried Les Ami and unlikely to after Uncle Bob's numbers!

I've only started to get really interested in Grenache over the past couple of years once a few of these small makers put together superior wines. The Blacktongues tasting highlighted again for me just what those wonderful old vines can do in the right hands.

Still got those red hands or is it wearing off now?
Cheers - Steve

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

TORB wrote:
Handy wrote:I think the perception about 2000 being an off vintage is exaggerated with regard to McLaren Vale. It was actually better than 1999 for many wineries IMHO. I think generally we forget that McLaren Vale can be quite different to the Barossa in vintage conditions.

Handy,

I have tried countless 99's and 00's from McLaren Vale and whilst there are some good 00's, in my experience generally speaking, in the vast majority of cases the 99's are better.

I agree Ric. I did a few trips down that way in 02 and 03, and the 99's were mostly unexciting and I couldnt find a single 00 that was interesting from memory (my notes might be buried on the forum somewhere though), except maybe Kays.

Post by 707 »

The 2000 Kay's Block 6 and Hillside Shiraz are much under rated. These guys are very good viticulturalists on a special patch of dirt that enables them to rise above the general vintage standard IMO.
Cheers - Steve