Wendouree

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Wendouree

Post by Guest »

How does one gaing access to this elusive mailing list?

many thanks

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

You need a name for a start.

I think the waiting list for the waiting list is closed, the only way I know is to find someone who doesn't want to buy their allocation each year, but is still willing to order and share some/all of the purchase. I brokered one deal like that last year, will probably be similar this year as this chap is retired and not buying much in the way of 20-year wines. In fact he's been known to carefully consider buying bananas if they are a bit green. :?

Letting a contract or identity theft may work too.
:o
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Christo

Post by Christo »

that was me without a name!

thanks for the info Brian, i forget to log in all the time... lazy really!!

Regards

Christo
"You are what u drink!"

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

By the look of that picture Christo, you are far too young to even contemplate drinking a Wendouree.

Have your rung them and asked to be put on the waiting list ?

regards
Chris

Post by Guest »

So would Mount Mary, Noon be easier to get on now?

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Anonymous wrote:So would Mount Mary, Noon be easier to get on now?

According to a poster on the "NOON WINERY" thread, the waiting list for Noon has now closed. Best bet is to pick some up on the secondary market, do what Brian suggested and find someone already on the mailing list, or source some from overseas. Most of these 'cult brands' have a significant export quota given RPJ ratings these days, and I know that these wines in many regions are relatively unknown - as they can be in Australia. As a result, overseas retailers may be keen to offload slow selling (but rare and very good) wines.

I know that Mr Trott has some Noon hiding away which I believe is available for sale - '02 vintages too. :) You won't find mailing list pricing, but I'm sure storage conditions are reliable and the prices are very competitive when compared to the secondary market.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Christo

Post by Christo »

ChrisH wrote:By the look of that picture Christo, you are far too young to even contemplate drinking a Wendouree.

Forming good habits at an early age!....

I have written to them but had no response.

Christo
"You are what u drink!"

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Wendouree seems to be good value at auction at the moment. Are you really saving much being on the mailer? Would a year in year out purchase of Wendouree unbalance your cellar? ( I would suggest an Australian cellar without a little bit of Wendouree unbalanced ).

Once your on the list it is hard to resist a big purchase when the charming old mailer turns up.

Good idea to try before you buy aswell. Some don't like the style nor have the patience, or sadly endurance, to enjoy the wine in it's prime.

markg

Post by markg »

JamieBahrain wrote:Wendouree seems to be good value at auction at the moment..

Not so much for the shiraz (about double price of CD) but the Shiraz/Malbec, Cab/Malbec and Cab Sav sell at auction (Langtons, MW, Lawsons and mine) for about a $10-$20 premium on top of current cellar door prices.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

ChrisH wrote:By the look of that picture Christo, you are far too young to even contemplate drinking a Wendouree.

Have your rung them and asked to be put on the waiting list ?

regards
Chris

Actually, looking at the picture, he's about the right age to be buying current vintages, be perfect drinking when he's 18 or so!

:roll:

I buy a few each year, hoping not to die before the 2001 and 2002 vintage are at their peak!
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Gavin

Hah- I've got a mate who likes his Wendouree's young! :shock:

Mark

Thanks for that. Makes for good buying at the moment. As the Australian wine industry expands and the number of enthusiastic wine drinkers increases- but Wendouree doesn't - I think people will rue not taking advantage of the small cellar door/secondary market price split.

I personally think a few bottles of Wendouree a must for the cellar and always recommend them. They have done great things for the Clare, with old fashioned modesty, and all things aside, down the track always an interesting tasting experience.

Ratcatcher.

Post by Ratcatcher. »

and, I bet they are doing quite nicely financially without feeling the need to expand or produce a $100 + icon wine to take advantage of the suckers. And in doing so they won't be taken over.

Good on 'em. Although I'll never get my hands on a bottle. the closest I will come is half a dozen bottles of Galah Reds.

markg

Post by markg »

Ratcatcher. wrote:and, I bet they are doing quite nicely financially without feeling the need to expand or produce a $100 + icon wine to take advantage of the suckers. And in doing so they won't be taken over.

Good on 'em. Although I'll never get my hands on a bottle. the closest I will come is half a dozen bottles of Galah Reds.

The Galahs, yum.... How would you rate them alongside the Wendouree RC ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Christo wrote:that was me without a name!

thanks for the info Brian, i forget to log in all the time... lazy really!!

Regards

Christo

No problems christo, I seem to have a "thing" at the moment about people seeking (sometimes almost demanding) information or making contentious/spurious comments without having the basic courtesy to give a name. If I have something to offer I generally will, but it won't always be as polite or complete as when a name is supplied.
Cheers
Brian

Post by Guest »

Then you should change the way the forum works i guess

Post by Guest »

Then you should change the way the forum works i guess

Baz

Post by Guest »

That was me forgot to login

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Anon., Thanks for reinforcing my point.

I'm not complaining about posting by unregistered people (this is one of the few wine forums that allow it), just the lack of common courtesy in supplying a consistent tag or name even if you don't register. I know it's just a microcosm of society in general, but moderately serious wine drinkers that are likely to visit/post here are supposed to be more civilised than the general public, if you want to be contentious or ask a favour or want to be taken seriously supply a name.

Or is that too much to ask for?

Maybe I grew up in another era when such courtesy was more observed and expect to much. That won't stop me commenting on it though, I'm long ago immune to abuse from fly-by anonymous goons.
Cheers
Brian

Ratcatcher.

Post by Ratcatcher. »

markg wrote:
Ratcatcher. wrote:and, I bet they are doing quite nicely financially without feeling the need to expand or produce a $100 + icon wine to take advantage of the suckers. And in doing so they won't be taken over.

Can't comment Mark. Wendouree has never passed my lips and I haven't yet tried any of my Galah's, I'm assuming they will need a little cellar time and as I only have 6 I don't want to "waste" any of them by drinking too soon.
Cheers

Ratcatcher.

Post by Ratcatcher. »

Have to agree Brian. I had a brief flirtation with trolling 8-10 years ago on a few ABC forums but I'll excuse myself by saying I only directed my efforts at people who were particularly obnoxious, argumentitive and loud mouthed and I have seen the error of my ways.

The crowd on this forum hardly deserve to be mocked and baited. Nobody is trying to show off or foist their bigoted opinions on other people. So we're not exactly a prime target although some people just can't help themselves. Most are probably teenagers just mucking around.

Anywho, I agree. Even when I don't log in the username field comes up when you start a post so you can type in a variation on your normal handle at the very least.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

markg wrote:

Mark,

I've tried a few Galah reds against the equivalent vintage Wendourees, you can see the stylistic similarities, but they were generally regarded as a (sometimes small) step down from the Wendouree reds, therefore still good value.

The Galah and Wendouree reds are not everyone's cup of tea, I noticed one post on another forum indicating some disappointment with a flight of 9-12 yo Wendourees. I'm starting to drink my 90's and thinking about some of the 91's to see how they are going, 10-12 is just too early for most of these wines.

I might have to pass on my mailing list membership soon, I might not live long enough to wait for the new releases to mature. Cash offers will be considered. :-)
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Ratcatcher. wrote:Anywho, I agree. Even when I don't log in the username field comes up when you start a post so you can type in a variation on your normal handle at the very least.

Thanks for the support RC, as you said it's not a hard thing to do, only the guilty have something to hide.
Cheers
Brian