Dinner @ Tetsuyas and some interesting bottles

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scoobinski

Dinner @ Tetsuyas and some interesting bottles

Post by Scoobinski »

Whilst enjoying Australia's best restaurant for my birthday with a few friends, the following bottles were enthusiastically polished off en route to our 130am finish and the resplendent Chocolate Terrine dessert.

1998 Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay
In spite of my history as a red bigot, and the general consensus of its poor QPR, this Yattarna was indeed a pleasant surprise. I will admit that it wasn't me who brought this wine, or paid the inflated price tag, but I was the first one to thank the presenter for doing so. Took 5 minutes in the glass to open up, revealing a very elegant citrus nose. Nicely structured from front to back, with hints of pineapple, pear, melon and honey. Acidity was noticeable, but not excessive. Drinking great at the moment, and should hold for 3-5 more years. 91/100.

1964 Saltram Mamre Brook CS/Shiraz
After being wowed by the 2002 recently, I was quite intrigued to sample this wine, at a whopping 41 years of age! Put simply, this wine has been in the retirement village for some time now. Bottle was in great condition, and retained some attractive notes of earth and cedar for 10-15 mins, but pretty quickly began to lose steam. Very little fruit remained, but with a soft velvet mouthfeel, this audience was kept interested. Rated 88/100 (largely for its curio value)

1971 Penfolds Bin 389
I'm slowly working through my small stash of these bought at auction last year, and they just seem to be getting better. Decanted for only half an hour, it was quite one-dimensional and light to begin with, but after another 30 mins or so in the glass, it began to blossom. Compared to the Saltram, this wine is still in kindergarten! Silky tannins covered the palate as it appeared to gain weight in the glass. Showing considerable restraint, I kept one glass for dessert (3 hours), and by this stage the chocolate and raspberry were awesome. Although I still rate the '66 ahead of this, at around $80, it's a bargain. Rated 95/100.

1992 Cullen Reserve Cab Merlot
Having never tasted anything from this winery, I was very much looking forward to this bottle. To quote History of the World Part I "Nice, nice - not thrilling but nice". Very well made, seamless wine, that my buddy who brought it along found awesome. I was less impressed. Nose was dull, perhaps closed. Might have been the bottle? Rated 89/100.

1994 Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Cabernet
Thin structure, without many tannins to speak of. Thoroughly outclassed by the '71. Recall it being a little hot. Some nice currant, mint and fig notes. Disappointing. Rated 86/100.

markg

Post by markg »

Thanks for the notes. The 389 is certainly living up to its reputation as a classic.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Adair

Re: Dinner @ Tetsuyas and some interesting bottles

Post by Adair »

Scoobinski wrote:Whilst enjoying Australia's best restaurant for my birthday with a few friends, the following bottles were enthusiastically polished off en route to our 130am finish and the resplendent Chocolate Terrine dessert.
So I presume that Tetsuya's is still living up to its reputation? How much is the set menu these days, and how many courses is it?

Scoobinski wrote:1998 Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay
In spite of my history as a red bigot, and the general consensus of its poor QPR, this Yattarna was indeed a pleasant surprise. I will admit that it wasn't me who brought this wine, or paid the inflated price tag, but I was the first one to thank the presenter for doing so. Took 5 minutes in the glass to open up, revealing a very elegant citrus nose. Nicely structured from front to back, with hints of pineapple, pear, melon and honey. Acidity was noticeable, but not excessive. Drinking great at the moment, and should hold for 3-5 more years. 91/100.
... but I take it that is is still not worth its pricetag, and other Oz Chardonnays are better at the same or less price.

Scoobinski wrote:1964 Saltram Mamre Brook CS/Shiraz
After being wowed by the 2002 recently, I was quite intrigued to sample this wine, at a whopping 41 years of age! Put simply, this wine has been in the retirement village for some time now. Bottle was in great condition, and retained some attractive notes of earth and cedar for 10-15 mins, but pretty quickly began to lose steam. Very little fruit remained, but with a soft velvet mouthfeel, this audience was kept interested. Rated 88/100 (largely for its curio value)
I have had some well cellared 1986s of this recently. Your tasting note would fit that. However in another 22 years, the 1986 will be horrific.

Scoobinski wrote:1971 Penfolds Bin 389
I'm slowly working through my small stash of these bought at auction last year, and they just seem to be getting better. Decanted for only half an hour, it was quite one-dimensional and light to begin with, but after another 30 mins or so in the glass, it began to blossom. Compared to the Saltram, this wine is still in kindergarten! Silky tannins covered the palate as it appeared to gain weight in the glass. Showing considerable restraint, I kept one glass for dessert (3 hours), and by this stage the chocolate and raspberry were awesome. Although I still rate the '66 ahead of this, at around $80, it's a bargain. Rated 95/100.
Interesting how these wines need some serious breathing. They play with my emotions. Upon opening they seem dead but open to be great after a few hours.

Thanks for the notes,
Adair

fred

Post by fred »

1992 Cullens was not a good vintage so don't be put off this style/maker by that vintage (and avoid the 1993 too).

1994 Jacaranda Ridge is still a baby but any suggestion of "heat" by alcohol or otherwise suggests to me that your bottle has been maltreated/suffered as that is not consistent with my tastings of this wine. In a decent year Jac Ridge hits its straps at about 15 and is reminiscent of on Oz style haut brion: feminine styled CS rather than muscular with finesse the major point. the 1991 is still a bit young but try it - and I have no doubt the 1994, 1996 (and spectacularly the 1998) will all develop along similar lines...

fred

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Adair,

Tetsuyas was a 10 course degustacion @ $180 a head. Brilliant food, excellent service, and professional sommelier. Although I was utterly impressed with the whole experience, if I was forced to place a value on the dinner it would be closer to $120. Along with Marque, the option to BYO makes the prospect of returning for special events quite likely nonetheless.

My mid-market price for the Yattarna would be $40-$50. Anything above this, and I would not hesitate to switch for a Vat 47.