Interesting

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Colin

Interesting

Post by Colin »

I bought a cleanskin from Dan's the other day, 2002 Langhorne's Creek Shiraz Cab Sav. Not a bad drop for $8, got what I expected for the price but something puzzles me. The cork that came out is from Brown Brothers, now either they have a vineyard over in SA I was not aware of or Dan got his geography mixed up. Anyone know the answer?

Colin
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter. Sermons and soda water the day after.

Post by Guest »

Brown Bros are not sourcers of fruit from Langhorne that I can discover so I'd suggest there's either some BS going on or it's a genuine mistake in labelling the cartons in the warehouse. I assume the carton says Langhorne?

Post by 707 »

Speaking of cleanskins, it seems everyone has got wines that "were/should be $30 for $7/$8 etc.

Now I can't say I've tried them all but I have had a fair few and all I can say is that they are good wines for the money being asked but would struggle against the better labelled wines that are on special for only a few dollars more.

In the current climate anyone can make claims about what the wine's "normal" price is but it's obviously done with one hand on their you know what.

Very occasionally one does come along that is a genuine mark down just to generate cash flow but they are reasonably rare.

Anyone found a real $25-30 unlabelled for $10 and under?
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Post by Guest »

Yes, I meant Langhorne Creek, and whatsmore the cork says estate grown. If it is wrong then DM's have gone to the trouble of printing labels for all the bottles, a right royal stuff up but I don't think they will be too concerned. I might try and get a replacement. Colin

cranky

BARGAIN!

Post by cranky »

Hey there 707

As a friend of a "Friend Of Glaetzer & Heartland", I got some 2000 Glaetzer Barossa Valley Old Vine Shiraz (unlabelled, but marked on case) for $8 pb plus shipping, as part of a bulk order to a bunch of us (24 assorted cases).
I don't know if this is up to the same standard as either The Shiraz 2001 ($45), or The Bishop 2001 ($30) featured on Gavin's site (I doubt it!!!), but it is very tasty, and quite obviously worth more than I paid for it! :D

Cheers

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

707 wrote:Speaking of cleanskins, it seems everyone has got wines that "were/should be $30 for $7/$8 etc.

Now I can't say I've tried them all but I have had a fair few and all I can say is that they are good wines for the money being asked but would struggle against the better labelled wines that are on special for only a few dollars more.

In the current climate anyone can make claims about what the wine's "normal" price is but it's obviously done with one hand on their you know what.

Very occasionally one does come along that is a genuine mark down just to generate cash flow but they are reasonably rare.

Anyone found a real $25-30 unlabelled for $10 and under?

I've certainly not found a real good one for under $10. ( I must admit as a budgetary measure I have recently been drinking quite a few cleanskins ). Almost always after the first glass it becomes apparent that the wine is " watery " and short and lacks real interest. I'd say you can get plenty of labelled wines that are similar to cleanskins but few cleanskins that have anything really interesting to say.

Also I partook of numerous cleanskins on Saturday night and was forced to not ride my bicycle on Sunday due to being truly hungover which is a rareish scenario for me ! So I am particularly not fond of cleanskins at the moment - a few AFD's are in order methinks !

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Maybe whomever bottled it bought somer excess corks from BB's??

:D

Bye, J.

Post by Guest »

Welllll.....tried 3 cleanskin reds @ $6.99/btl from the local barn recently. McLarenvale. Not even within cooee of the the questionable quality of Hardy's Nottage Hill for the same price - not game to try the chard, even Lindie's Bin 65 likely to be better. One of the couple of bottles of Nottage Hill riesling I moved into the fridge - may be interesting though probably not in the same class as the old Siegersdorf that I've not seen here since Hedley took over the local outlet. This rave continued............ in a separate post.

daz

Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Found a "premium 2001 SA Cab Sav" that was supposedly a $25 export wine. tried it one night after an hour in a decanter and it held up against a couple of other "real" $25 wines. still looks good after 5 hrs in a decanter so is not too bad a buy at all. Especially when it was on sale for $5.50 a bottle. It makes some of the other quaffers look like a poor cousin.

Is definitely a warmer climate Cab from SA. Overall one of the best cleanskins I have found. (Aside from the Charles Cimicky bin end $15 a bottle no label, actually found some with labels and got his $65 prem Shiraz for $15 a bottles and got 3 :D )

Cheers
Mark

wineguy

cleanskins sources

Post by wineguy »

Most cleanskins are sourced from a variety of producers, so it could be that Dans stuffed up which wine it was. Or maybe it was awine that Brown Brothers never commercially released and sold the enitre line to a cleanskin wholesaler. It happens sometimes with the bigger compnaies.
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

707 wrote:Speaking of cleanskins, it seems everyone has got wines that "were/should be $30 for $7/$8 etc.

JO has quite a good rant about cleanskins in his latest annual ...
707 wrote:Anyone found a real $25-30 unlabelled for $10 and under?

.. and his quoted figure for quality cleanskins is 1 in 25 I believe.

What I've noted is that many cleanskins seem to be selling for $15+. Yikes ! People will buy anything if they think they are getting a bargain. This is the market that cleanskins lives off.

How many more times are we going to fall for the "export deal fell through" story ?