TR: 1998 Petaluma Coonawarra Cab Merlot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
BobFoster

TR: 1998 Petaluma Coonawarra Cab Merlot

Post by BobFoster »

Does anyone have any recent tasting notes on this wine? Thanks in advance

Neville K

Post by Neville K »

...."The present for the cabernet merlots, simply called Petaluma Coonawarra, was represented by the newly released 1999 ... and re-released 1994 ... Many observers have likened the 1998 and 1999 Coonawarra Cabernet vintages to the 1990 and 1991, the first of each pair having huge publicity when released, the second emerging from the shadow of the first and, in some instances at least, offering more with the passage of time.

It's too early to call the Petaluma Coonawarras: suffice to say both are outstanding, both with a long future. If proof positive were needed, the re-release of the 600 cases of 1994 Coonawarra provides it. Eerily like a top flight St Emilion (Bordeaux), it has wonderful texture and cedary/spicy flavour. And if you still need persuasion, the museum tasting of the 1988, included, said Croser, 'Because I like an excuse to drink it', surely provided it."

James Halliday, The Weekend Australian September 22-23, 2001

Murray

Re: TR: 1998 Petaluma Coonawarra Cab Merlot

Post by Murray »

BobFoster wrote:Does anyone have any recent tasting notes on this wine? Thanks in advance

Had it in February and again last week, both times sourced from the winery. A beautiful wine showing good Coonawarra fruit nicely balanced to premium oak, superb drinking. Still with plenty of time ahead of it.
Murray Almond

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I dont have my TNs with me, but I had it early this year and remember thinking that it was very youthful. It hadn't changed much since release - still heaps of primary sensations.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Aug 04 - Although the wine was decanted for over an hour, it didnÂ’t show much but there was a little VA, it was clean and had pure blackcurrant, subtle cigar box, and mint.

Tannins have soothed out nicely but there is a very solid backbone of them, which combined with enough balanced fruit intensity, will ensure this lasts for many years more. Finish is reasonably persistent but in an understated, clean way. Flavors are advertised on the bouquet and it is rated as Highly Recommended.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine