TN request - Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1995

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Daryl Douglas

TN request - Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 1995

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Hi all

Not familiar with Mentelle wines but spying a bottle with a Special card carrying a $30 price tag on it, at the entry to one of the local barn's checkout lanes, I couldn't resist buying the one in the cardboard box next to it. The checkout girl said it sells for $70-$80 in the airconditioned fine wine section - I think she meant 750ml bottles. I've seen 750ml 2000 for $50 and 1999 for $60 on the net so I reckon I got a deadset bargain, on the proviso that the wine is sound. Should've bought both magnums!

The clincher was the 1995 vintage which I believe was a good one in MR. Cullen's Reserve Cab/Merl 1995 certainly has a lofty reputation.

Would appreciate any TNs or opinions of this wine, in particular the 1995 vintage, as well as estimates of cellaring potential. My guess, it being a magnum, is up to 25-30 years though it will almost certainly be consumed before 2020.

Cheers

daz

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Daryl

Use the search function - I posted a note on this in August 2003 (see below). There may be others also.

"Deep dark red in colour. Deep and brooding earthy blackberry fruit, moccha and cedary oak on the nose. To taste, cedar-blackcurrant, moccha and earthiness - quite similar in flavour profile to Bordeaux. Tannins need food - quite different to the current crop of S.A. fruit bombs that fail to find a food match.

This powerful wine drinks well now with food or could cellar for some time before it starts to slide downwards".

This note was based on a wine from my cellar - a bottle from a store in Townsville might be a different story ?!

regards
Chris

Post by 707 »

Darryl, you may have got a great bargain if the storage has been sound or you may have got a lemon, only pulling the cork will tell!

Can recommend this wine, had one a few months back from a good cellar.

From memory it was typical Mentelle, good fruit weight in the slightly herbal spectrum and fine grained finish with good length, probably fully developed now but not about to fall over either.

A magnum should be more backward but provenence sounds a worry. Maybe pull the cork this weekend with a few appreciative friends.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

scottv as guest

Post by scottv as guest »

Daz,

I grabbed the other magnum. :roll: Will be interesting to compare.

FWIW there is a review in the 2000 Penguin wine guide. I just typed it out but the post didn't work. No time to type again. Will send it to you later.

GO COWBOYS

Scott

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

scottv as guest wrote:Daz,

I grabbed the other magnum. :roll: Will be interesting to compare.

FWIW there is a review in the 2000 Penguin wine guide. I just typed it out but the post didn't work. No time to type again. Will send it to you later.

GO COWBOYS

Scott

B*****d! Went back yesterday afternoon for it too. Someone posted a JH review on another board. FWIW I couldn't see any CM cab in the aircon but there was a shiraz (750ml) for about $30+. Haven't tried their zin (or any other) but it seems a bit pricey considering the TNs I've seen of it. I guess you cleaned up the some of the Lindemans classic releases bin as well. I ended up with only a Limestone 91 (for the price of Cawarra - checkout error) and a St George 91. The Limestone was very nice. The St George and the CM magnum will be drunk next weekend as will another bottle of Dafarras CS 91 (leaving one remaining), perhaps the last bottle of Dorrien CS 90 as well. Seem to have a thing about cabs lately. Tried some of the basic Jamesons Run reds on discount. The Cab blend is ok, the shiraz maybe a bit better. Will try the straight cab tomorrow. OK quaffers at $13. Lehmann semillon is good value for $9.

How good is Muzza? Pity Fien's been cut when he's hitting his probably best ever form. Hope they guillotine the chooks next weekend!

Cheers

daz

scottv

Post by scottv »

Daz,

I didn't get any of the Lindys. All gone. I only picked up the CM on Friday lunchtime after reading your post.

This is the CM tasting note:

This is a whopper, packed with all good things you'd hope for from Margaret River. IT's 5 yrs old and has developed superb complexity. The bouqet has gamy, toasty-oak like cabernet scents. It is very Bordeaux-like, with fine, drying tannins and savoury meat stocky palate falvours. It's well structured, long and very convincing. Cellar first then serve with cheese.

5/5 Quality
4.5 for value at $50.
Drink 2002 - 2010+

I am off to the Gold Coast tomorrow for my brothers wedding next Saturday. Don't know whether I will take anything down in the plane to drink or get some stuff while I am down there.

Am flying back during the middle of the Cowboys game next Sunday. Didn't expect that 2 months ago.

The game last night was amazing. I am just about to watch the replay to see what I missed last night.

Scott