TN: 1990 Lindemans Bin 8025 Hunter River Steven Hermitage

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

TN: 1990 Lindemans Bin 8025 Hunter River Steven Hermitage

Post by Adair »

TN: 1990 Lindemans Bin 8025 Hunter River Steven Hermitage - 12%

Red, quite translucent, bricking in the edges.
Nose of sweet polish and leather on a base of red fruit with earth and spice. Medium intensity.
The palate is full of ripe red berries, leather, sweet polish, earth, mustard, spice and pepper. Gorgeous complexity. Acid driven but totally integrated. Very fine and soft tannins create good length. Medium intensity. Rated Excellent. This wine will improve a little over the next 4 years.

Adair

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

Adair,
I must confess to have overlooked the 1990 vintage in hunter especially as far as Tyrells and Lindemans is concerned. Your notes suggest it fares better than expected. I did buy the lindemans Steven reserve and the HRB (std) at release from 1991. The HRB was underwhelming despite the vintage -tried it numerous times - in every possible way to get the best out of it - but never succeded. The Steven was on the other hand quite nice. However, did note a bit of bottle variation. whenever I wanted to show off a bottle of hunter to my intersate friends it performed badly (well - lets say not up to expectation).

I have since then not purchased any vintages of the above two wines. Still ploughing through the museum releases of 1983 and 1987 (and an odd bottle or so of the 1973).

sanjay