TN: Viking Grand Shiraz 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scoobinski

TN: Viking Grand Shiraz 2002

Post by Scoobinski »

Strikingly unAustralian Shiraz. Congratulations to the wine maker for resisting the urge to load excessive oak, leaving a well balanced, pleasant wine that should age nicely for 10+ years. 14.5% alcohol, with soft tannins. Beautiful nose, with huge chocolate and raspberry aromas. Held its own when lined up against several renowned and aged french burgundys and bordeauxs. 17.6/20

Gary W

Re: TN: Viking Grand Shiraz 2002

Post by Gary W »

Scoobinski wrote: Held its own when lined up against several renowned and aged french burgundys and bordeauxs.

Why on earth would you want to drink a big 02 Barossa Shiraz in the same sitting as some old Bdx and Burgundy? It is like having a extra hot beef vindaloo and then eating sushi.

Why is it strikingly un-Australian shiraz when it smells of huge chocolate and raspberry? I would have thought that very typical Barossa?

The wine sounds excellent though.

GW

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Agreed on the combination of wines. Was just a disorganised farewell get together - lots of fun though!
My un-Australian comment was down to the lack of oak in the wine.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Scoobinski wrote:Agreed on the combination of wines. Was just a disorganised farewell get together - lots of fun though!
My un-Australian comment was down to the lack of oak in the wine.

Oh. Thanks.

You should try

Tyrrells Vat 9
St Henri
Craiglee
Bannockburn
Tahbilk

stuff like that. Australian. Not lots of oak.

conversely try a few of Guigal's La Las and d'Ampuis...plenty of oak. Very French.

GW

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Oh what were the Bdx and Burgs at the tasting?
Thanks in advance for any notes or impressions.
GW

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

hey uncle Scoob :wink: where can one find the 2002 Viking in Sydney? (I have already searched ozwine)

where in Sydney are you, I am trying to organise a super taste off of all the 2002 Barossas, this wine would fit the bill perfectly

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

I bought a 6 pack direct from the cellar door several months ago. $50 a pop.

I have seen past vintages at the Australian Wine Centre at Circular Quay, but not sure whether they have any 2002s. AWC is usually pricey though, as they are catering for the RPJ-driven tourist dollar. Have never seen it anywhere else - but thats not to say its not available anywhere. Might think about trying Roseville cellars, they often have difficult to find wines.

Your 2002 taste-off sounds interesting.

Gary - I need to consult with my fellow drinkers to get all the details. Excessive consumption has destroyed my recall. Names included Krug Rose NV, 1959 Branaire Ducru and 1983 Rotie Charmes Chambertan (spelling?)
Last edited by Scoobinski on Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I've seen Viking Grand Shiraz at Elizabeth Bay Cellars. AWC seems to charge up to triple the going rate, so I give it a wide berth.

Kieran

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Kieran wrote:I've seen Viking Grand Shiraz at Elizabeth Bay Cellars. AWC seems to charge up to triple the going rate, so I give it a wide berth.

Kieran

That is the OTHER AWC of course. :lol: :lol:
regards

Gavin Trott

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Eep. Quite right. I just think of Gavin as Auswine, and AWC as that hellhole at Circular Quay. Not the most expensive place I've seen (hello, Leura Cellars), but close.

Kieran

Post by Guest »

I still have very fond memories of the lovely 2000 Viking Grand! It was like a chocolate and berry creamy smoothie (in a good way!). One of the very few Aussie wines from the 2000 vintage I actually bought.

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

That was me! :oops:

PS - can someone please tell me why my computer won't automatically log me in every time? It was until recently and then - wham! - it just doesn't wanna work anymore!
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Scoobinski wrote:
Gary - I need to consult with my fellow drinkers to get all the details. Excessive consumption has destroyed my recall. Names included Krug Rose NV, 1959 Branaire Ducru and 1983 Rotie Charmes Chambertan (spelling?)

No worries. All very forgettable wines compared to the 02 Viking Grand I am sure :)
Ta
GW

simm

Post by simm »

Hi Scoobsta,

I'm trying to save bickies but would love to try the Grand 02. If you are interested and have one to spare I could swap you for a Viking Odins Honour 01. ?

cheers,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Simm,

Am already long a few of the Odins Honour 01. Maybe you have some other Scooby Snacks that might take my fancy?

Let me know

simm

Post by simm »

Scoobinski wrote:Simm,

Am already long a few of the Odins Honour 01. Maybe you have some other Scooby Snacks that might take my fancy?

Let me know
How about a Peanut Butter, jelly sandwich, Scoob? Will take a look through the dBase. :)
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

caper

Viking Wines Odin,s Honour 2002

Post by caper »

Anyone had this wine recently and got any advice on drinking window and decanting time.
How does it compare in quality and style with other Barossa cab/syrah in the same price bracket?
stretch your mind----drink wine blind

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

I haven't tried a 2002 for a year or so, have it tagged to start peaking around next year.
Since they've reduced the price and released vintages earlier the quality seems to have dropped off too, I don't think I'll be buying any more.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)