TN: Seppelt Mount Ida Shiraz 2005

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Seppelt Mount Ida Shiraz 2005

Post by Waiters Friend »

My last bottle of this. Decanted three hours before service.

Purple black in colour. Powerful nose of licorice, cloves, 'wild berry' style red fruits, cinnamon, a little leather and menthol - all climbing out of the glass. There's a heap of raspberry on the palate, jubey, juicy and fleshy, along with redcurrant and savoury oak. Tannins are fully integrated, and acid is supplying some more juiciness and freshness. Long and full finish.

Obviously this is a fully developed wine, but it is wonderful to find Australian reds that look this good after 19 years. I thought I had left it too long, but no. This is in fine form, if you like aged reds.

Cheers
Allan
Mt I.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

phillisc

Re: TN: Seppelt Mount Ida Shiraz 2005

Post by phillisc »

Thanks Allan, think I have 2-3 of these somewhere. Your note sums it up nicely. Lovely colour by the looks of it.
The Mount Ida's and Benno releases seem few and far between these days, but they're cracking reds.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve been seriously impressed with my 02’s. For the price ( sale ) they blow most boutique wineries in the region out of the water.

Interesting comment on aged reds Allan. Making me feel so old fashioned as someone who ages wine. It does seem the reality these days though! Many immediate styles and palates about.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

As I am marching on, I occasionally open something on release.
But 99% of my reds are aged. People I share them with are both stunned and appreciative...how do you have something so old, and how come it tastes magnificent
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

phillisc wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 pm As I am marching on, I occasionally open something on release.
But 99% of my reds are aged. People I share them with are both stunned and appreciative...how do you have something so old, and how come it tastes magnificent
Cheers Craig
Hear hear, Craig. I very rarely open any red on release (apart from tasting it for the first time, perhaps at cellar door) and I find that my palate has become unaccustomed to young reds as a result. They generally need a couple of years at least to lose the spiky edges.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.