TN: Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2012

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2012

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

First of all, R.I.P. Joy Bowen. I only met Joy once, at a Coonawarra Roadshow, however, I recall the smile and the enthusiasm which I (just another punter) was met with.

Decanted 90 minutes before service. Purple black in colour, and quite dense. Not surprisingly, the nose is showing lots of development - a mix of savoury notes (tobacco, pine cones, menthol) and fruits (blackberry, mulberry). There's also the remnants of some cedary oak.

The palate shows more of the developed fruit flavours, alongside moderately grippy tannins. There's a juicy character as well, and there's a line of fruit and acid heading towards quite a long finish. Medium to full bodied, and improving in the glass.

I might have to try a second glass. :D

Cheers
Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

I Love Shiraz

Re: TN: Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2012

Post by I Love Shiraz »

I love Bowen Estate Cab Sav, especially when the alcohol levels are under 15%.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Lovely colour on the wine Allan, think I have the best part of a dozen of these left. Bowen as I have said is fantastic for a number of reasons, quality, the people, the price.
I'm playing the Barbera, Barolo, Chianti lottery...have had some very good wines so far, no notes other than is there flavour, fruit richness yes, then very good. There was a 2017 French Malbec that I sent back for something else, restaurant owner apologised and gave me a 2018 Rhone instead.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

There have been quite a few Bowen reds over the last decade or so that have been 15%, I have never found this to be a problem. I think it’s a reflection of being able to get ripe fruit, perhaps Doug’s unique viticulture with the double hoop canes. Never seems to be any heat as such, plenty of fruit with enough tannin structure and acid behind for good ageing.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

mjs

Post by mjs »

There have been quite a few Bowen reds over the last decade or so that have been 15%, I have never found this to be a problem. I think it’s a reflection of being able to get ripe fruit, perhaps Doug’s unique viticulture with the double hoop canes. Never seems to be any heat as such, plenty of fruit with enough tannin structure and acid behind for good ageing.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short