Grape Growers Untold - Lita Brady (Wendouree)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Grape Growers Untold - Lita Brady (Wendouree)

Post by Matt@5453 »

This is local initiative in the Clare Valley, an oral history of the Clare Valley Wine and Grape Association.

Episode 1 is Lita Brady.

Meet Lita Brady, one of the custodians of Wendouree, home to one of Clare Valley's oldest vineyards.

"Wendouree" is believed to originate from an Aboriginal term meaning "place of water." Alfred Percy Birks, arriving in 1892, partnered with his brother to farm, planting currants and wine grapes with some original vines from 1892 are still producing.

The winery, established in 1895, has maintained its practices for over 120 years. In 1917, A.P. Birks passed the reins to his son Roly, who continued the legacy for almost 70 vintages.

Roly's lasting presence saw him guiding Tony and Lita Brady when they took over in the mid-70s. Wendouree had a solid reputation, but the Brady’s enhanced it.

Lita spills some secrets to former ABC journalist and Clare Valley local, Annabelle Homer, sharing the 12-hectare vineyard's history, their use of traditional methods, and her vision for Wendouree's future in the Clare Valley.

VISIT clarevalleywine.com.au/projects/grape-growers-untold-an-oral-history-podcast-project for the details

phillisc

Re: Grape Growers Untold - Lita Brady (Wendouree)

Post by phillisc »

I enjoyed the Leo Faulkner and Martin Smith episode...my dad developed/marketed the Lysaght high Tensile Flexipost in the late 70s/early 80s and Martin was the vineyard manager for Kaiser Sthul at Eden Valley. Remember cartons and cartons of green ribbon Riesling filling the boot of the car.

Those were the days
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Lita’s staying put. Not selling up. 8)

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes I think there are a few more twists and turns to play out before the Brady's tottle off.

The run of 2022 and supposedly reasonable vintage 2023 and the inevitable early hype of 2024 gives them another 3 years at least.
I suspect at 74 Lita is enjoying herself, tending to a 12 hectare garden, overseeing operations.

There are a couple of punters on here, far closer to the action than me, who would be much more informed.
When sold/transferred, or at least, some level of remuneration goes back to the current owners...change will be inevitable, mostly price and distribution me thinks.
Thankful that I have 'sufficient' stocks.
Perhaps Col McBride or Doug Govan, or the new owner of Skillagalee can rustle up some funds and take over :wink: :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I suspect LVMH will throw eye watering amounts of money at Wendouree. Seeking to produce a luxury, easily marketable and internationally in-demand, series of Australian wines, at $1000 a bottle.